1/48 Italeri CH47 (Chinook) "Big Wokka" RAF

I think I  may have rescued it................I dragged it out of the cupboard and remembered I had some fine wire I used to use  for dabbing on ca glue,  anyway as the Inner section is only joined to teh outer on one side, I was able to push the wire through and push the  windows back into place, then run some poly around the outside frame  - it wasn't the most ideal  but I have some masks  and will see if I can cut them a mil  or so smaller to allow paint to cover any glue around the edges of the glass, its going to be rattle can primed then  colour coat painted anyway, so that combination might cover my errors.

"I Hope"

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Let us hope this works OC. It would be a shame to have to trash all that you have already achieved.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

8 hours ago, lmagna said:

Let us hope this works OC. It would be a shame to have to trash all that you have already achieved.

Thanks Lou.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Good news!  Fingers crossed that it works!

Not sure if this would be helpful, but there are those wax sticky pencils that have just enough tack to lift a part and put it in position, and just enough to release the part when it's time to glue.  

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

10 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Good news!  Fingers crossed that it works!

Not sure if this would be helpful, but there are those wax sticky pencils that have just enough tack to lift a part and put it in position, and just enough to release the part when it's time to glue.  

Thats a good heads up Mike  thank you,    and thank you  for the good wishes.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Look around the outside of the fuselage, OC, for "cut marks".  Some of those windows were removable for installing guns.  In 'Nam, many types of choppers did have windows removed just for ventilation and also to provide a "quick exit" if needed.  I'd think the forward ones behind the cockpit and rear most on each side.   If the have those marks, trim the window opening to the line and Bob's your uncle.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I think I have rescued it  -  I have masked the windows including the domed ones  at the rear,  then I attached to Two rotor head mounts  - then I was able to glue the other outer shell in place,  it will need some tidy up work along the spine of the hull  roof.

So this is where I am at the moment.

OC.

IMG_0922.JPG

IMG_0923.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

16 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Look around the outside of the fuselage, OC, for "cut marks".  Some of those windows were removable for installing guns.  In 'Nam, many types of choppers did have windows removed just for ventilation and also to provide a "quick exit" if needed.  I'd think the forward ones behind the cockpit and rear most on each side.   If the have those marks, trim the window opening to the line and Bob's your uncle.

Thanks Mark,  I wonderd that  - even went searching for modified chinooks  RAF ones in the field, but all had the windows intact,   I dont know it these windows could be opened  or are fixed in place.

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.

You look like you made the save of the month there OC !  

Looking good🙂

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

I just did a quick check on-line.... only the forward "square" windows were removed.   I didn't see any with the rear round ones removed.  Sorry about that.  I'll recheck my memory bank and clear the faults.  It's a pain to be old.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

3 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

You look like you made the save of the month there OC !  

Looking good🙂

Thank you kindly Edward.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

3 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

I just did a quick check on-line.... only the forward "square" windows were removed.   I didn't see any with the rear round ones removed.  Sorry about that.  I'll recheck my memory bank and clear the faults.  It's a pain to be old.

No worries mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

No sweat, Mark. You're in good company. (creak-creak)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Well, I'm just happy OC got the glass sorted out and isn't abandoning the build.    It does seem like everything in the bod and mind is creaking lately.  Maybe I"m low on oil?

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

9 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Well, I'm just happy OC got the glass sorted out and isn't abandoning the build.    It does seem like everything in the bod and mind is creaking lately.  Maybe I"m low on oil?

You still on oil mate?   I have had a conversion  part fuel part static - mind you the later is from me dragging my  slippers on the floor as I walk.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Oil only for lubrication, mate.   I think my boilers are coal fired still.  At least that's the way I feel.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Well here is the input from another low on oil coal fired individual for what it is worth.

Like I said I have only been on a S***hook twice and I even find some of my memories about Huey's in question these days. But if memory serves, the side round windows were fixed, like you would find in any modern airliner these days. They were not even removable for emergency exit like the non opening door windows, (And pilot doors) on a Huey. To be honest I doubt the porthole windows were large enough to allow a body to fit through anyway. This memory is further enhanced by the fact that in US Army rotary wing aircraft it was a practice that any emergency exit was surrounded by a thin yellow or yellow/black striped band with a red arrow pointing to the release handle if so equipped.

That is not to say that like Mark said many aircraft were modified to carry ordinance that was field installed and removing windows for this equipment was quite common in Vietnam. This of course would probably not apply to a RAF version.

Like I said, with things and time being what they are, I lay no claim to the above being gospel. Almost anything is possible with the age of this aircraft.  

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

36 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Well here is the input from another low on oil coal fired individual for what it is worth.

Like I said I have only been on a S***hook twice and I even find some of my memories about Huey's in question these days. But if memory serves, the side round windows were fixed, like you would find in any modern airliner these days. They were not even removable for emergency exit like the non opening door windows, (And pilot doors) on a Huey. To be honest I doubt the porthole windows were large enough to allow a body to fit through anyway. This memory is further enhanced by the fact that in US Army rotary wing aircraft it was a practice that any emergency exit was surrounded by a thin yellow or yellow/black striped band with a red arrow pointing to the release handle if so equipped.

That is not to say that like Mark said many aircraft were modified to carry ordinance that was field installed and removing windows for this equipment was quite common in Vietnam. This of course would probably not apply to a RAF version.

Like I said, with things and time being what they are, I lay no claim to the above being gospel. Almost anything is possible with the age of this aircraft.  

Thank you for your imput Lou,     always welcomed and appreciated.👍

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

2 hours ago, lmagna said:

Almost anything is possible with the age of this aircraft.

I agree, very much so, it's an almost 70 year old base design, of course upgraded any times... anything is possible, I've even seen some pics of the "A" models serving in 'nam with those side windows painted over.... the current ones are much improved over the originals...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

excellent save brother.....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

22 minutes ago, Egilman said:

excellent save brother.....

Thank you so much.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

WOW!   tuning in and reading the sad news was heart stopping OC.........glad you pulled the rabbit out of the hat! ;)   one will never know what happens out in the field.......you gotta remember that some equipment was altered to better serve the unit...or the type of missions that was being run.  it's a sure bet that there were a couple out there that had the windows yanked out,  and turned into a gun ship.  after all........look at the C 47 Skytrain.......it started out as a transport plane.    it's not nice to mess with the mother of invention :ph34r:

get this beast done OC.........before anything else happens!  BTW......I started the Osprey.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

9 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

WOW!   tuning in and reading the sad news was heart stopping OC.........glad you pulled the rabbit out of the hat! ;)   one will never know what happens out in the field.......you gotta remember that some equipment was altered to better serve the unit...or the type of missions that was being run.  it's a sure bet that there were a couple out there that had the windows yanked out,  and turned into a gun ship.  after all........look at the C 47 Skytrain.......it started out as a transport plane.    it's not nice to mess with the mother of invention :ph34r:

get this beast done OC.........before anything else happens!  BTW......I started the Osprey.

"Show us  - Show  us".....................We want to see  the Osprey.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I did  a bit of clean up work along the top join seem, I had made a weld with poly and this had hardened enough to be sanded and filed  flat  with only the tiniest amount of filler, next will be to start adding the bottom and fuselage fittings.

No pics as it basically looks the same as above but with a smooth seem.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Evening all,    more progress  tonight,   I have been working on the cockpit area ready for the  glazing unit,   a  touched up a few areas  then I had to do some dry fitting  and adjusting to get the galzing to fit the front,    then I painted the inside frames of the glazing  unit as it will be seen slightly,   then a dry fit.

I have the maks that will go on next before gluing home the unit.

OC.

IMG_0927.JPG

IMG_0925.JPG

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.

15 minutes ago, oneslim said:

Old Collingwood, That looks really nice.

BobW

Thank You  Bob.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

noticed you painted the frames from the inside.......interesting.  are you going to paint the outside too?   what's with the gap at the top?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

4 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

noticed you painted the frames from the inside.......interesting.  are you going to paint the outside too?   what's with the gap at the top?

Hiya mate,   yep  I decided to paint the inside first  as sometimes you can see they have not been painted  when looking through the glass,   yep  I am going to paint the outside too  -  with the gap...............yep  it was a moulding  fault  I have made a  cover for it  when painted over it should  vanish in with the paintwork.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Evening all,    More progress  with the Wokka  -  I masked up the  front unit  then glued it in place, when set  I ran some  filler into a few tiny gaps  then I scraped the edges to get a  smooth join,   also  there was a  glearing gap above the canopy  - I was able to find a strip  and glue it  there and fill behind  it,    after priming and painting it should look ok.

So here is the current stage.

OC.

IMG_0929.JPG

IMG_0930.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.