Golden Hind 1575 by bosco72 - Airfix Classic - 1:72 - first ever model build

In this period they only used 1 single rope / gun door

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

57 minutes ago, rkwz said:

Hi Bosco, I might suggest to rig the ratlines first as the stays could pull the masts out of alignment?

Just speaking from experience... 

Cheers,

Ron

Hey thanks for the heads up. I've watched a lot of builds a many advise the other way around. Do you mean get the shroud lines in first? Or both, shrouds and ratlines? The advice I'm seeing a lot with rigging order is this - work from the back to the front, bottom to top and center outwards, which makes sense to me, apogies if that explanation is a little confusing as it works more on a visual level. That said I'm always open for all the advice I can soak up. So thank you again. 

1 hour ago, bosco72 said:

Hey thanks for the heads up. I've watched a lot of builds a many advise the other way around. Do you mean get the shroud lines in first? Or both, shrouds and ratlines? The advice I'm seeing a lot with rigging order is this - work from the back to the front, bottom to top and center outwards, which makes sense to me, apogies if that explanation is a little confusing as it works more on a visual level. That said I'm always open for all the advice I can soak up. So thank you again. 

Oh I see, I followed the advice of some helpful forum members earlier and did the rigging based on Noel Hackney's guide to classic ships (copies can be found online but only hardcopy books). The manual sets out the rigging in a step by step manner which simplifies everything tremendously.

I did find having the shrouds (sorry I meant shrouds and ratlines in my earlier post) in place first provided much needed downward pressure to stabilise the masts, especially the upper mast shrouds which will prevent the topmasts from pulling too far forward or back. Especially so since I had snapped the main mast when I dropped the model... 

You may find the plastic spars are quite bendy as well ... In hindsight and based on the suggestion of others, I would have used bamboo skewers instead (with a little tapering).

I'm not suggesting this is the best method, only that it works for me! 😉

37 minutes ago, rkwz said:

Oh I see, I followed the advice of some helpful forum members earlier and did the rigging based on Noel Hackney's guide to classic ships (copies can be found online but only hardcopy books). The manual sets out the rigging in a step by step manner which simplifies everything tremendously.

I did find having the shrouds (sorry I meant shrouds and ratlines in my earlier post) in place first provided much needed downward pressure to stabilise the masts, especially the upper mast shrouds which will prevent the topmasts from pulling too far forward or back. Especially so since I had snapped the main mast when I dropped the model... 

You may find the plastic spars are quite bendy as well ... In hindsight and based on the suggestion of others, I would have used bamboo skewers instead (with a little tapering).

I'm not suggesting this is the best method, only that it works for me! 😉

Wow, they are 40 year old books. Which ones do you have, I think he did three in the series, if there are more I have never read them. I've read the, Victory, Sark and Mayflower. I currently have the Victory no.1, as that will at some point in the future be a build that I will do.

They are very rare/costly books now. At some point I have every intention of digitising my copy and sharing it, as they are out of print now and eventually will be impossible to get, and that would be a shame for future generations. 

Edited by bosco72

Hi bosco,

Depending how hard you look, you can pick them up quite cheaply (not sure why some people are selling them for over $100). I got 2 out of 3 so far, Victory and Mayflower. Victory cost me about 5 pounds (shipped from the UK), and Mayflower about $17 AUD (local reseller).

I think the Mayflower rig would be better suited to the Golden Hind (keeping in mind it won't be exactly the same), and I can see you have Lennarth Petersons manual too which should help visualise certain steps. Happy reading!

If you want to drill out the barrel of the cannons. Usually these were 6 pounders with a bore diameter of about 76mm (on this scale 1 mm looks ok).

I think you have a rigging plan a few hundred years later than the GH, 16th century rigging is different from your drawings.

And yes, normally first the shrouds,  and then the yards

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

On 11/23/2020 at 3:47 AM, rkwz said:

Hi bosco,

Depending how hard you look, you can pick them up quite cheaply (not sure why some people are selling them for over $100). I got 2 out of 3 so far, Victory and Mayflower. Victory cost me about 5 pounds (shipped from the UK), and Mayflower about $17 AUD (local reseller).

I think the Mayflower rig would be better suited to the Golden Hind (keeping in mind it won't be exactly the same), and I can see you have Lennarth Petersons manual too which should help visualise certain steps. Happy reading!

I think I have the Revell kit of the Mayflower, I could take a look how the instructions say to rig that. 

When seizing the rope, I find the cotton continually unravels. I've tried different glues, too messy. Are there other things I could try? Seizing away from the model is a little easier, but there are several ropes that require being in place before hand. Thanks in advance.

Edited by bosco72