USS Gwin (DD-433) by Egilman - DML/Dragon - 1/350th scale - PLASTIC

7 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Oh my god...

Take it easy brother, definitely don't lift anything do as little as possible....

My wife spent 25 days in ICU cause of a hernia surgery that went bad... serious enough to the point the doctor only gave her a 50/50 chance of surviving..... 5 days in a drug induced coma on a ventilator......

Please please take care of yourself my friend.... I will be praying for your sound recovery... not something to screw around with....

Sorry to hear that brother  sincelely/warmly hope all is well with your admiral now.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

46 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

No ! You definitely do not want any of that ...... went in hospital for same day hernia repair 10 days ago ..... emerged 5 days later after spending 3 of those days NPO,  nil per os, with an NG tube, because the alimentary canal  went to sleep and would not wake up.

The surgery was a breeze. I was fully awake post op and ambulating,  just certain parts of the waste disposal system decided to take a 3 day nap.  The medical term is ileus.

And Covid Rules - 1 visitor per day per patient between 1100 hours and 1800 hours for 4 hours max; when they leave they can't come back till next day.

I've been home since late Tuesday last.  Can't lift anything over 10 pounds for 4 weeks post op.  

I don't want to tie up EG's  log with my rambling  but I had to reply to Jack  -  I had the same  about 9 years ago, went in  for a pre arranged Hiatus Hernia  op  the  surgeon  debated doing it as a "Key Hole"  job  but in the end I was just sliced open  (about a 6 Inch cut in my groin)   same as your self  no lifting for so many weeks  but I was lucky I was out the same day, all is fine now  apart from ocassional sensations  from the wire gause they put in.

Take good care of yourself.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

11 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Sorry to hear that brother  sincelely/warmly hope all is well with your admiral now.

OC.

Oh she's recovered, a little worse for wear but still her old self..... Thank you for asking my friend....

And you already know my policy on tying threads in knots.... If it gets too tight I'll let ya know.... other than that, carry on....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

3 minutes ago, Egilman said:

.. I will be praying for your sound recovery... not something to screw around with....

Thanks !   I had a really good surgeon, spent a lot of time talking with me,  had a great sense of humor.  Even came up to check on me on his day off before going to his granddaughter's soccer game. My "doctor" daughter (PhD Epidemiology, 25 yrs experience), drove down to see me;  he spent a good amount of time speaking with her. 

I am walking around the neighborhood each day without assistance, so far so good.

Your wife's experience is scary,  hope she is fully recovered now.

12 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

went in  for a pre arranged Hiatus Hernia  op  the

Mine was ventral hernia, aka diastasis recti,  right under the navel.   Thanks for the well wishes

Glad to read y'all and or your spouses have made good recoveries. Family and health are serious matters. All we need is Lou piping in with his tales.  😁

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

7 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

And Covid Rules - 1 visitor per day per patient

Boy are you lucky Jack! I was in two times in he last three weeks and NO VISITERS allowed. One of my attending doctors would not even fully enter the room until I put my mask on and like all of them he was wearing both mask and face shield! I suppose the good thing is that now I have been tested twice for COVID in as many weeks!

Like you the drugs linger though! Hope you are feeling better and getting around freely.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

4 hours ago, Canute said:

All we need is Lou piping in with his tales.  😁

Done :ph34r:

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

8 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Your wife's experience is scary,  hope she is fully recovered now.

As well as could be expected, she is still the "Admiral" with a capital "A" And I thank the great maker every day for her......

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

2 hours ago, lmagna said:

Done :ph34r:

Excellent, always welcome brother.....

Quote:

8 hours ago, lmagna said:

One of my attending doctors would not even fully enter the room until I put my mask on

All the medical staff and visitors wore masks full time, no face shields. I did not have to wear mask while in my room, even if others came in,  only had to wear one when I left room to go for a walk or Xrays.  NY is less than 1% infection rate so Governor relaxed rules. NYC  may be stricter but not up here.  

Now back to EG's build .  

Wishing all who need them speedy recoveries😉

I have to agree with OC, didn't get taught much of American history apart  from the loss of the colonies, so all this history from you all is very entertaining and welcome as a prelude to the main feature 😁

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Well gifts in the mail today....

DCP_2810.JPG.d9eb2b7d6c4a0d30f82dc2bac83d4f19.JPG

The Infini models .50's and the depthcharge racks arrived today...... And, they are absolutely gorgeous, (and tiny, tiny tiny, tiny) going to have to get me one of them magnifier lights to work with them....

What did I get myself into......

Quote:

Yeppers, lots of light and magnification. And some fine tweezers, etc for manipulating said PE. Your fingers are too big for some of that stuff

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

You might want to check out The Small Shop  out by you and get their bending jig. I have one and it is great for bending that small brass. Used it on my 3 - 1:350 destroyers 

Looks like you have your work cut out for you with those .50s. Luckily you only have to do six of them. With a box of 25 that makes a lot of spares if needed. I personally would need all 19 of them!

Have you looked at Model Monkey for more detailed replacement 5" turrets? Unfortunately Micro Master does not offer any. 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

On 10/20/2020 at 2:43 PM, Canute said:

Yeppers, lots of light and magnification. And some fine tweezers, etc for manipulating said PE. Your fingers are too big for some of that stuff

Thanks Ken, Still looking for one, going to be doing some workspace configuration here in a few days and I'm looking for a good suspension light to mount to my build table, for when the admiral gives the green light....

Stepping up the game as far as tools and equipment go......

Expensive...... (according to the war department) {chuckle}

Quote:

On 10/20/2020 at 3:30 PM, Jack12477 said:

You might want to check out The Small Shop  out by you and get their bending jig. I have one and it is great for bending that small brass. Used it on my 3 - 1:350 destroyers 

Hi Jack, yeah that was on the schedule for acquisition, except The Small Shop is out of stock.... but I located the bug (smaller bending tool) on evilbay and grabbed it.... the same seller had a Brass Assist as well so I grabbed them both..... in researching I found that most ships builders use the bug for 1/350 work... I found a couple of modelers that have the Five Speed, the large 8" version and the Bug, with the two larger versions spending most of the time on the shelf but the little Bug version, (2" version) stays on their workbench and is used constantly....

So I went with experience and bought the little one...

Quote:

On 10/20/2020 at 3:43 PM, lmagna said:

Looks like you have your work cut out for you with those .50s. Luckily you only have to do six of them. With a box of 25 that makes a lot of spares if needed. I personally would need all 19 of them!

Have you looked at Model Monkey for more detailed replacement 5" turrets? Unfortunately Micro Master does not offer any. 

It's actually 12 .50 cals brother, 6 each mounted Port & Starboard.....

1022029547_DCP_2795StarboardSideAntiaircraftPositions.jpg.0b1dd2cf5f264105e73da7cd67d96421.jpg

I figured with 25 in the kit, it will give me enough to handle all my .50 cal needs in April '42 and leave enough left over to do my '41 Arizona....

The Kraken Hobbies '41 MG conversion came in today, it gives me the 6 tubs you see in the pic in place of turret #3 and the tubs for the pilot house roof.... My first 3D printed parts....

DCP_2811.JPG.38fda9eeedba82b7ed5eee4e5c36780d.JPG

They even come with .50 cal ready lockers, the printing is crisp and clean with no issues as far as smoothness or filing/sanding to worry about...... five stars if you ask me...

I took a look at MM's destroyer turrets, very nice as well, but this is one place where Dragon did an excellent job especially on the canvas topped partial turret. (turret #3 in the pic above) also, turret #4 is a double knuckle turret, which Dragon actually molded perfectly.... I couldn't justify the expense..... (but I did see their conversion for the USS Vincennes superstructure for the Trumpeter San Francisco kit, that is now on my list as well as their USS Arizona parts, I will be doing business with them in the future) Thanks for the suggestion to take a look....

Well that about wraps it up for now, my GMM etch set showed up in my USPS informed delivery e-mail, but didn't show up in my mailbox today..... (although the political junk mail did, I do believe the government's mail priorities are a little bit different than mine) the post office says it could show up in a couple of days...  Hmnnn, first time, (after almost a year of having it) informed delivery said it was coming today and it didn't show up....

Anyway, thanks guys for following and the comments and ideas, it really appreciated...

EG

Quote:

EG, nice parts. 

Another tool for releasing the 3D parts from their matrices is this saw: http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?cPath=21_28&products_id=35

Very fine teeth. And proceed slowly with cutting.

Ken

I had considered getting the bug but thought it would be too small, so I got the 5.5 model. Worked fine for me on the plastic ship models with PE. The 5.5 will work even better I think when I get around to scratch building the two ice yachts I have in mind, but that will have to wait for the Constellation build to get further along. 

15 hours ago, Canute said:

EG, nice parts. 

Another tool for releasing the 3D parts from their matrices is this saw: http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?cPath=21_28&products_id=35

Very fine teeth. And proceed slowly with cutting.

I thought about getting one of those, but so far my microsaw does the job and hasn't really failed me yet.... Maybe someday.... Thanks...

Quote:

12 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

I had considered getting the bug but thought it would be too small, so I got the 5.5 model. Worked fine for me on the plastic ship models with PE. The 5.5 will work even better I think when I get around to scratch building the two ice yachts I have in mind, but that will have to wait for the Constellation build to get further along. 

One of the reasons I did the research on them is it looks so darn small in the pictures.... but when I got to see what others doing 1/350 ships use it's predominantly the bug or a sheet of glass and a pair of blades... now I have inadvertently cut PE parts using two blades for the folding especially the more recent fold edge relieved etch.... so this time I'm going to use a tool... I can see where the larger ones would be useful on armor models, they have parts like fenders that really do need the length.... but there isn't anything on a 1/350 ship that long....

Ice Yachts, Sailing on ice skates....  I'm down for that action when you start building...

Quote:

Well, my GMM PE set arrived today.... 

DCP_2812.JPG.c0361ae1dde06344acc9b5c495f0b52b.JPG

Won't use them all cause most of it is for a late war Gleaves, but I'm sure they will come in handy at some point.....

Paints, Paint/tool racks and PE tools are on the way, should be here by the end of next week....

Almost ready to go back to work....

Quote:

Looking forward to it bro,  you are collecting some excellent stuff there  - should make your build really  jump out the screen.

I too have a little plan for next year  to bring me back into some ship building  in 1/350 scale  - but that wont be till late 21.

I have a few builds planned for next year  .........😉🙂

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

8 hours ago, Egilman said:

but there isn't anything on a 1/350 ship that long....

Ship's railings.   

8 hours ago, Egilman said:

Ice Yachts, Sailing on ice skates....  I'm down for that action when you start building...

See build log in my signature for the 1888 Gaff rigged ice yacht Rocket. 

4 hours ago, Jack12477 said:
12 hours ago, Egilman said:

but there isn't anything on a 1/350 ship that long....

Ship's railings.   

Yep, but you don't fold them lengthwise..... {chuckle}

Quote:

so this is where you got off to?!?!?!?! :)    I'm glad I found your log before the plastic started flying!  1/350 is certainly small......I have the Vendetta that I still need to finish.  look'in forward in seeing your progress ;)     great conversation by the way!

speedy recovery Jack.........at least you can still lift a tankard ;)   rest up and get better!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

On 10/21/2020 at 11:31 PM, Egilman said:

It's actually 12 .50 cals brother, 6 each mounted Port & Starboard.....

My mistake. When I was looking at some of the pictures available online it looked like a number of those tubs on the lower decks held single 20mm guns with shields, not .50s. But then it is not my build and I was not really trying to research the ship like you are.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey