USS Gwin (DD-433) by Egilman - DML/Dragon - 1/350th scale - PLASTIC

Minor update...

DCP_2893.JPG.884a4d07c5ea574c700ace4215801a97.JPG

Superstructures assembled, now to do the little details....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Just because the USN or other navies put out standards and directions, the yards where work was done  varied even in the shades of the tinting colors that got mixed into the base paints. You're lucky you found a ship of the same class in a similar scheme. Sort of like what was the color of the Arizona as sunk? Gray or blue? It's a never -ending discussion on most steel ship modeling boards.

Pictures are good, to get the shapes of the camo designs. As far as colors are concerned, who can really say? The color pix we have now, could be subject to the film colors deteriorating. Is WW 2 era Kodachrome still accurate years later? Asking eye witnesses is hard to do, due to their passing. And who's to say how sharp their memories of colors are. I feel we should make honest attempts to get close, as you and most here are doing.

I think the hardest part of that is scaling colors. A dark blue in 1/200 scale should be darker than the same shade at 1/700 scale. I read the tread-heads and aircraft folks discussing this topic from time to time.

Pardon me for taking up space in your log, EG. The spirit moved me to veer off into this. :unsure:

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Every WW II account talks about the constant chipping and painting that  occured aboard ship, especially in the Pacific Theatre where operations were intense and shipyards far away.  Much routine maintenance was performed at advanced bases at various atolls.

This was also prior to common availability of premixed paint colors.  Navy specifications include instructions for mixing different colors, but if in mixing the color the deck gang might have been heavy handed with an ingredient.

With all of this, I believe that there was considerable variance in the colors actually used to meet Navy Camouflage Measures.

The ship’s appearance would also depend on when she was painted as shades of blue are notoriously subject to fading.

Roger

27 minutes ago, Canute said:

Pardon me for taking up space in your log, EG. The spirit moved me to veer off into this.

No problem brother, yes it is up to the modeler on how he/she wishes to present the subject....

In mid 1941 the colors were standardized, all the colors used the same tinting paste and base white paint 5-H Haze Grey, 5-O Ocean Gray, 5-S Sea Blue and 5-N Navy Blue were all made by mixing the same two items to the specified standard.... You could take mixed 5-S and make 5-N by simply adding 50% more tinting paste... (it's why 5-S disappeared so quickly after December 16th)

The whole paradigm over the colors used by the US Navy during 1941 and all the changes made during that period is a discussion that has generated a LOT of heat in various fora out there.... Everyone has an opinion on it and I in particular was going to wait for that discussion when I build my Arizona..... That's where it comes to a head (it's been raging since 2009) .... I've done the research sufficient to establish what I'm going to paint her as....

It's a discussion worth having but it's way to large a subject to discuss here my friend.... The preponderance of evidence points to one thing but there is no "smoking gun" to establish what was going on beyond any doubt so the debate continues....

We should leave it at that....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

1 hour ago, Roger Pellett said:

Every WW II account talks about the constant chipping and painting that  occured aboard ship, especially in the Pacific Theatre where operations were intense and shipyards far away.  Much routine maintenance was performed at advanced bases at various atolls.

In forward areas it was the crew that painted the ship, the only time yard workers painted a ship was at a dry dock availability...... Usually the superstructure was well maintained but the hull could get pretty ratty looking..... The Gwin was yard repainted just before she left with TF 18 and the Hornet.... She was pretty clean....

This was also prior to common availability of premixed paint colors.  Navy specifications include instructions for mixing different colors, but if in mixing the color the deck gang might have been heavy handed with an ingredient.

Prewar, there was standard Navy Grey, post Feb '41, they went to measures but still used premixed paint and due to the large stocks of Navy Grey they issued a tinting paste to convert that standard grey to 5-D dark grey.... Then, in June '41, they changed everything again and went to the purple blues doing away with 5-D dark grey altogether.... The paint was issued in five gallon buckets of base color and pint cans of tinting paste, the mix being so many cans of paste into a five gallon bucket to get the correct color/shade. This eliminated paint color/shade variations between fleets and yards....

With all of this, I believe that there was considerable variance in the colors actually used to meet Navy Camouflage Measures.

The ship’s appearance would also depend on when she was painted as shades of blue are notoriously subject to fading.

Roger

Actually this was incorrect after they went to the purple blues in June of '41 5-N Navy Blue for instance was very color fast, and could last for over a year in service, (there are several examples of this in the archives)

Where 5-S was found to chalk up and fade fairly quickly even though they were made from the same materials.....

By 1943 they were changing things again and by early '45 they were going back to an overall navy grey not much different than the original prewar navy grey.... Ships didn't change measures until they had a yard availability, this is why most ships in the navy still appeared in some measure of blue at the end of the war.....

Everyone modeling US Navy ships during the war has to make their own judgment on how they wish to depict her.... Accurate research is essential if your going to model a specific point in time like I am with the Gwin, otherwise almost any of the Ships-II measures could be applied.... 

It's a wide open field....

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

Looking great!  Now all the fun with the tasty details....

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Just remember to that Kodachrome film and printing had it's problems.  Too warm on the solution or too cool? A bit to long or short in time?  Too much time or too short a time between developer and fixer (and temperature again).  And this applied to both the negatives and prints.  Along with age and storage temperatures and time between the shooting the picture and starting to process.    In the early 80's I did photography at the local drag strip and my own processing.  It was damn difficult to get two prints exactly alike. 

So basically.... close counts.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

45 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Just remember to that Kodachrome film and printing had it's problems.

Yes, I'm well aware of such and incorporated a few expert photographers into my research... Also, a lot of that kodachrome film seemed to blue shift over time.....

But I have some images that are darned close and one is from the late 50's taken by a Life Magazine photographer that my consultant experts say is very close to unshifted real life....

Not saying your wrong at all, in fact I agree with you, one must be very careful when grading color pics for accuracy.... Especially when they have been converted to digital, that's a whole 'nother layer of issues.....

But there are reasons the Official Pearl Harbor Museum's model of the AZ is blue..... Not definitive as in a document saying such directly, but all the anecdotal evidence says so, and the official records of orders leave the door open and lean strongly towards it being true.... The colors of the Pac Fleet in December of '41 is a mishmash of conflicts which I don't think anyone is ever going to sort out. Just do us all a favor and don't use B&W photography to declare a ship a certain color/scheme unless you have other records confirming/establishing it....

I've dealt with way too much of that garbage in my research.....

When I do my Arizona, (the day before) I'll go over the color controversy and my reasons for using the scheme I'll be using.....

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

I'll be waiting to hear your reasoning, EG. Our eyes sense colors a little differently. It's your model concept of those colors, so run with it.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

18 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Just remember to that Kodachrome film and printing had it's problems.  Too warm on the solution or too cool? A bit to long or short in time?  Too much time or too short a time between developer and fixer (and temperature again).  And this applied to both the negatives and prints.  Along with age and storage temperatures and time between the shooting the picture and starting to process.    In the early 80's I did photography at the local drag strip and my own processing.  It was damn difficult to get two prints exactly alike. 

So basically.... close counts.

Mine was fun and games with Black and White developing in  our homes bathroom  - fun and games.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

On 1/17/2021 at 5:58 AM, Canute said:

I'll be waiting to hear your reasoning, EG. Our eyes sense colors a little differently. It's your model concept of those colors, so run with it.

Oh I'll be going through the proof and my reasoning when I get there brother, I just don't want to start another color war here.... (although I'm pretty sure it has petered out by now, especially since the Pearl Harbor Museum and all the model companies have gone with the preponderance of evidence and recommend a Ms. 2 Sea Blue scheme)

But first I have the Gwin to finish....

Onward....

Quote:

Update - Kinda, 

In the two steps forward and one step back chapter, I've been involved in some intense research into what the Gwin carried and how it was laid out... I've found that the Dragon Livermore kit, although an early Gleaves class destroyer had some features that were not present or different on the Gwin....

First....

The five mushroom ventilator stacks, Part A-31, were present on the Livermore, were not present on the Gwin, so I've removed them....

615234700_livermoreInstructions-Step5A-31.jpg.f4def7a1c92ca0d0b4fd9818a7a88b57.jpg

628902310_zDD433UssGwin1942-12-19crop.jpg.137acc4667c224800c5ae7501c29e73f.jpg

In the image of the Gwin above one of those stacks should be positioned on the main deck P/S directly below the blower vent on the gun deck above, but they weren't there, so they get removed from the model....

This leads to another problem, YOu look at the K-guns The kit has them positioned almost perfectly, but they mount the Reloads to the aft side of the gun when on the gwin they are forward of the gun as in the image above you can clearly see the mandrel stanchions ahead of the tubes..... so the Kit installation is correct for the Livermore but backwards for the Gwin.....

So I've removed the offending parts and will be repositioning the ones that need it....

Another problem is on the forward O-1 level bulkheads, there is a square ventilator molded into the bulkhead again it is on the Livermore and not on the Gwin.... So it was shaved off....

1553701430_livermoreInstructions-Step1.jpg.2677fd8d2fefa6e441ae4849265ee466.jpg

(red circle) Which left a little gap that was filled with some Mr Surfacer 500.....

There is probably going to come a point where I'll want to get it done, but right now finding the correct configuration and modifying to it is taking a bit of my time....

So please be patient with me as I go thru my accuracy tribulations......

EG

Quote:

Some great research there!  This is going to be spectacular!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

fitting her out is coming along nicely  ;)   really great progress!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Its all in the detail brother.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

On 1/19/2021 at 6:35 AM, Landlubber Mike said:

Some great research there!  This is going to be spectacular!

I'm hoping so Mike, but doubts are creeping in.....

On 1/19/2021 at 9:27 AM, popeye the sailor said:

fitting her out is coming along nicely  ;)   really great progress!

Well there hasn't been too much assembling lately, been busy driving myself insane looking at grainy B&W pictures... (trust me it's getting old)

Quote:

On 1/19/2021 at 8:46 PM, Old Collingwood said:

Its all in the detail brother.

OC.

That's what they tell me brother but there are so many and some you just can't replicate cause it is just too small.....

Time to get this moving again, stop staring at pictures and crack the glue & paint bottles open....

I was cleaning the old glue off one of the K-guns and it broke, the charge separated from the thrower.... Thought I was done and started figuring out how replicate a K-gun and DC in 1/350th, then I remembered that the Livermore had six and the Gwin only four.... PHEW!!! I have two replacements....

Gonna get some action here soon.... I haven't abandoned this....

Drew up some diagrams of the various riggings for her in the meantime, Standing, Running and Antenna's..... Exploring line options as well, picked up some .2 mm (.008) beading thread for the standing rigging and some 44 awg magnet wire for the antennas, measures just under 2 thousandths inch.. (hair is around .003) Probably use it for the running rigging as well but I'm looking at some Caenis line for that possibly..... Not sure yet....

Still working out how I'm gonna do this.... These are definitely not my childhood models.... (now I'm repeating myself, I've been staring at pics too long)

Still working on it brothers....

Quote:

17 hours ago, Egilman said:

That's what they tell me brother but there are so many and some you just can't replicate cause it is just too small.....

Time to get this moving again, stop staring at pictures and crack the glue & paint bottles open....

I was cleaning the old glue off one of the K-guns and it broke, the charge separated from the thrower.... Thought I was done and started figuring out how replicate a K-gun and DC in 1/350th, then I remembered that the Livermore had six and the Gwin only four.... PHEW!!! I have two replacements....

Gonna get some action here soon.... I haven't abandoned this....

Drew up some diagrams of the various riggings for her in the meantime, Standing, Running and Antenna's..... Exploring line options as well, picked up some .2 mm (.008) beading thread for the standing rigging and some 44 awg magnet wire for the antennas, measures just under 2 thousandths inch.. (hair is around .003) Probably use it for the running rigging as well but I'm looking at some Caenis line for that possibly..... Not sure yet....

Still working out how I'm gonna do this.... These are definitely not my childhood models.... (now I'm repeating myself, I've been staring at pics too long)

Still working on it brothers....

Dont worry  - where all still here, may need to stock up on the rations though  some  hungry folks here.............:dancetl6:

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2021 at 2:54 PM, Old Collingwood said:

Dont worry  - where all still here, may need to stock up on the rations though  some  hungry folks here.............:dancetl6:

OC.

Not worried brother, trying to get a lot of research done while RL is trying to take all my time.... Finally managed the maze and got the wife shot up, she's feelin a lot better now that she's gotten it and the second one is scheduled....

So hopefully I'll be able to get back to this.... everyone is is feeding the beast but me.... And fast, don't know if I can catch up..... {chuckle} RL issues will pass....

Thanks brothers ALL of you...

Quote:

So I finally got the starboard side K-guns reinstalled in their correct positions..... Don't have a pic of it simply cause I forgot....

I've set about getting the splinter shields installed in their various locations.....

But I do have to note, those Kraken parts are gorgeous, but very very fragile.... wound up breaking the after deck three times....  Twice separating it from the base and once modifying it to match the ship... thankfully it was easily repaired...

DCP_2892.JPG.d7655c583b731f6fdaf8bbbf6d05ca79.JPG

The recommendation is to cut the stilts at the part then snap off the stilt from the base... but they tended to pop off upwards against the part and snapped the part...... I did inform Matt at Krakken about my difficulties while asking him to send me the 4 extra splinter shields I needed... Then set about gluing it back together....

DCP_2893-.JPG.1dd995442f9030a1d978dfcecf8536b0.JPG

The freshly repaired part outside of a tiny glue line that will disappear when dry Gator's glue made short work of it....

The repaired part and a surprise that came in the mail....

DCP_2893--.JPG.b48fe357cde4f9a147273de25ce9b8fd.JPG

Matt sent me another part along with the extra shields... Wonderful guy that Matt and and Kraken an excellent company to deal with.... I KNOW I will be doing more business with him in the future... I want to send him more money, but he won't give me his paypal address..... 

Next up is installing the shields on the midships deckhouse, for these I need to re-create the deck under the shields....

DCP_2894.JPG.2ea7743ca93a4c9fc6a4c24953eb2c41.JPG

DCP_2895.JPG.a484bf3cce0809e81076caabd3ce7388.JPG

Those pins you see sitting there is a result of some of the research I've been doing....

1990307825_1941DD432USSKearney-12x16_lr.jpg.cff650e3495d404980bac406a336463f.jpg

They are some kind of storage rack, when empty it looks like a stanchion with three flat plates to hold four items each plate....

2086477419_1941DD432USSKearney-10-15x15_lr.jpg.df40f1d8246278eb91e6222b86d791d0.jpg

Right in the center of the picture above.... But this is the USS Kearny, with the Monssen behind her after she was torpedoed during the neutrality patrols in '41...

So I had to check and see if the Gwin had them..... They stand out quite a bit...

And after extensive searching I could come up with no pic of the USS Gwin with those devices under the machinegun position.... so I looked for her sisters and any other Gleaves class ships that might have it... (see if it is standard equipment in the class) Next is what I came up with, then I found the smoking gun.....

1466233931_1941DD435USSGrayson-06x4.jpg.de05dcdf7bebcd2ab213a5daf2592d84.jpg

USS Grayson, 1941, that big white thing next to the aft stack is the rack with a canvas curtain surrounding it...

655139174_1941DD436USSMonssen-05-1604.jpg.1c639b2b6a11bd5fa844c1ebc182022b.jpg

1978383860_1941DD436USSMonssen-05-1605.jpg.7e768407d8a42e94056671590cf3cc36.jpg

USS Monssen, 1941, has it as well.... And before the King Board modifications giving it the machine guns...

1125683656_1942DD433UssGwin-04-18x11.jpg.12c17f47d3820109bda359dcffc67a93.jpg

The only broadside shot of the Gwin I have, and I suspect that white block under the aft stack gun is the rack but it is too far to really say....

95343052_1942DD434USSMeredith-06-23x25.jpg.e597dc2748176fb85627b6e43f640820.jpg

USS Meredith, 1942, after the Doolittle raid, clearly has them and they are covered with the curtain.....

604305977_1942DD435USSGrayson-06-09x18.jpg.9a7d92521c0113c8c5edd4f3d278aa7f.jpg

USS Grayson, 1942, again after the raid and she clearly has them as well.... So, at least for all the sister ships that were with her during the raid have them both before and after the raid, I decided that the USS Gwin must have had them as well.....

Then a friend of mine sends me the smoking gun pic....

1733132777_1943DD433UssGwin-02-16x12.jpg.5833e3da4b27ff0bc8b51afc7f9bacef.jpg

USS Gwin herself 1943 clearly has them covered in a canvas curtain....with two stanchions to either side as well..... more details to install....

In scale they measure about 1/16th inch across and run from the deck to the tub floor....

DCP_2896.JPG.fb0464cd055d2c2b2141de4332c699ed.JPG

DCP_2897.JPG.cfc025298996946ccf644233531c072b.JPG

Still need to add the stanchions and shave them all for the correct height, but I'm getting there.... Slowly.....

DCP_2898.JPG.af246a442494f3af30e4a14f287df8a8.JPG

The forward splinter shields in place, and I see I need to correct the port side on the pilot house roof, it not sitting flat to the deck....

But that's where I'm sitting right now..... At least it's some progress...

EG

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

Nice progress man, looking fantastic!

Mike

Thanks Mike....

Making progress....

Finishing up the base assemblies before detailing.....

DCP_2899.JPG.a6c3f41530f197b41c2c150faad2a998.JPG

Quote:

Another update...

About half way adding all the myriad tiny plastic details, currently working on the midships deckhouse....

DCP_2900.JPG.1ecf10fbe36fc98e29c5a7fc6962c493.JPG

10 tiny doors need to be mounted, they will be closed, the ship was in condition ZED when the pic was taken and all the doors would be closed & dogged, a good thing given the weather they were enduring... After that I get to do the boiler room air intakes.... The Livermore had a certain style, of course the Gwin has a different style...

USS Woolsey (had the same style as the USS Livermore...

1795630018_zDD437USSWoolsey1942-02-02x11bCloseCrop.jpg.a953f524590b4782c0fff58661cadb4c.jpg

USS Gwin....

532363926_zDD433UssGwin1943-02-16x12Crop.jpg.16682406c15023111dab0990bc27e097.jpg

I checked her sisters as well, they had a similar style without the hoods and angled back towards the stern.... so the Gwin was unique in this detail.... No PE for this so I have to scratch or modify the kit's intakes...

Still plugging along.......

Quote:

She's progressing nicely EG, I'm also liking the impromptu history lessons along the way.

Thank you my friend 🙂

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

coming along great.......I see the research fares well :)   the mods look very good!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

On 2/10/2021 at 1:55 AM, Edwardkenway said:

She's progressing nicely EG, I'm also liking the impromptu history lessons along the way.

Thank you my friend 🙂

Thank YOU, for liking and following my sometime unconventional and weird thinking..... I've always found that when studying and researching history building a replica of what I'm studying always keeps the motivation/ interest high.... (helps towards completion as well) I've always liked history and this way is much better than sitting at a class desk reading a book....

Quote:

On 2/10/2021 at 1:15 PM, popeye the sailor said:

coming along great.......I see the research fares well :)   the mods look very good!

And thank you Dennis, My builds are sometimes unconventional as I'm only a plastic hacker, but I am inspired by the true artists here and those that follow what I'm doing, If it wasn't for you guys, I probably wouldn't be building much less researching....

A heartfelt THANK YOU!!!!

Quote:

Small update again...

Since this is a brush painted model my build sequence sometimes will take a turn... this is one of those times.....

Almost to the PE stage, and I still need to add some plastic, but now, given the almost impossible to follow build sequence of the kit, is time for some primer.....

Tamiya surface primer, 2cc and Mr Color leveling thinner 2cc... yep thinned 50% for brushing....

DCP_2902.JPG.50070e6ed51f40e6e6e92a84bb08d582.JPG

Actually it covers well.... the reason to prime at this point is there is so much detail that goes over other detail we need to paint the under surfaces first, otherwise there is no way to get to them with a brush..... As well as the decks that need their dark color and there is no brush small enough to get around everything without spreading paint over all the vertical surfaces....

So here we go, one brush on primer coat....

DCP_2901.JPG.7cd89ab131fbc1a0d979350a09fbdfe5.JPG

That looks very very close to 5-H Haze Grey to be honest... I will paint a nondescript area first if there is a discernible difference between the primer and the True North 5-H once the rest of the details are on it will get another coat, otherwise if they are the same, then it will be finish detailing and touch ups before the 5-O Ocean Grey Camo goes on.....

I've already glued together enough parts to have finished a ship model from 40 years ago and I'm not even half done yet with the details....

The tech is just out of this world.....

Anyway more laters, making progress... Thanks for the likes, they are appreciated....

EG

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

And, the first of many Photoetch parts.....

DCP_2908.JPG.425f9aaa18072bb029bee9d14d765072.JPG

Support bracket for the port side torpedo crane....

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

Nice work!  Good to see the brass going on.  

Mike