HMS Fly by TimC - FINISHED - Amati/Victory Models - First Time Builder

Thank you for all of the likes and comments!

11 hours ago, Moonbug said:

Hey Tim - looking great!

One piece of advice - when I can see the finish line is about the time I get excited and start rushing little things.  Don’t forget to take your time and stay patient until the very end. It’ll pay off with details.

Nice work.

excellent advice.  I have already caught myself a few times and remade a knot here and there.  It’s so easy to get excited and rush 

Current Build: Amati HMS Fly, First Time Builder, 2020

• 1 month later...

Completed my first wooden ship!!  It is by no means perfect but I’m proud of every piece of it.  I’ve learned a ton and I am a full convert to wooden vs plastic.   

I still have to make a base and a case at some point but that will be after we move to our new home next week. 

B746147A-34C4-4C8E-BF82-42C2635CC6BA.thumb.jpeg.db55334f6832ab1341c6df7dde6d7661.jpegB3035852-3827-473B-9153-D256DD4CD7E9.thumb.jpeg.ac2328842d0f7f96e183387095a17d1a.jpegEC0CFEBD-2AF8-4FC0-856A-0F179D9370B7.thumb.jpeg.cfe56a3ffad2cee17331b24d02b875d8.jpeg28E796FA-609C-471E-8AEA-A542A03CFBD1.thumb.jpeg.d3157a6120461b0c4740fd97411e36aa.jpeg508358FF-9815-4D9E-B4BD-0414EA448779.thumb.jpeg.454cf10bcce793dce5e254b37d72e2c5.jpeg051E153F-87BF-4AE0-98B2-4E56615BBF17.thumb.jpeg.85ecfa35318d887cffc68f095ad3aca8.jpeg

thank you to all that have left tips and words of encouragement…it has helped immensely

until the next ship…..

Tim 

Nicely done, Tim.  There are lots of details there to look at and to draw any view into the inticacies of the build.  I hope in your new house you find a place where you can admire your work.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Wow Tim, looks fantastic!  You achieved quite an impressive result. 

I mean to bug you about one point though- I want to see more pictures from more angles!  Particularly waterline shots looking fore and aft, and  beakhead details. Of course you will probably put a lot more photos in the gallery when you get to it. 

Whats next, I wonder?

Meriadoc?

Edited by Meriadoc Brandybuck

Hey Tim,

I did not follow your build (too many to follow on the forum). Outstanding build! I too am a first time builder and hope you don’t mind if I pick your brain about some of your rigging techniques. I hope my first build comes even a little close to this beautiful ship! 👍

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

16 hours ago, starlight said:

Great work, Tim! It's been a pleasure to have followed your log since the beginning.

-starlight

Thank you Starlight!  I am looking forward to seeing you complete your build as well.  So far it is coming along very nicely!

12 hours ago, Blue Ensign said:

Well done Tim,  she's a fine looking 'Swan', you've every right to feel proud of  your achievement.

B.E.

Thank you for following BE.  Your build log was present at nearly every step....probably the most helpful reference I could have asked for

4 hours ago, Meriadoc Brandybuck said:

Wow Tim, looks fantastic!  You achieved quite an impressive result. 

I mean to bug you about one point though- I want to see more pictures from more angles!  Particularly waterline shots looking fore and aft, and  beakhead details. Of course you will probably put a lot more photos in the gallery when you get to it. 

Whats next, I wonder?

Meriadoc?

I am actually not sure how to create a gallery, but I would love to learn how! 

I have the Venetian Polacca and a Royal Caroline on deck.  I may start with the Polacca since it will be a smaller build--I figure a nice segway into another large ship

3 hours ago, Dave_E said:

Hey Tim,

I did not follow your build (too many to follow on the forum). Outstanding build! I too am a first time builder and hope you don’t mind if I pick your brain about some of your rigging techniques. I hope my first build comes even a little close to this beautiful ship! 👍

Thank you for the kind words!  I would love to help in any way that I can, feel free to shoot me a PM or leave a comment on here---Ill always respond

6 hours ago, TimC said:

I am actually not sure how to create a gallery, but I would love to learn how! 

I see. Just go here:

https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/category/3-gallery-of-completed-kit-built-ship-models/#

Click the big “add images” button, and choose “create a new album”. The rules are all explained there very clearly, it’s just the place to start isn’t horribly obvious. I found it by going to any gallery photo from the forum home and following the links that become available from there. 

Cant wait to see it!

-Meriadoc

Congrats on your first build completion.   Far and away better than most first time builds, mine included. 

One thing of note for the future,  the knee of the head should be tapered to about 4" at the bobstay piece on the Swan class and similar size ships.   Yours looks to be the same width (10"?) which would be the thickness where it meets the stem.  I assume this is a design error from the kit manufacturer.   

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU