Hi Pete

Assuming it is wood I have never had any problems building cutters and other lapstrake craft using carpenter's glue.  These include 18 foot long boats which are right at four inches long with planks only 0.02" thick at 1:48 scale.   I do like to use holly for the planking as I have never had a plank split or break but will be OK with any wood.  

I looked at pictures of your boat on their website and the finished boat does look nice, but  I would be concerned  that the drawings and photo of the finished model are missing a lot of items found on most cutters.  This include such things as the thwart with a cut out for the mast, the ears, chocks, and breast hook to name a few. There are what appears to be places for three oars per side, but they look to be aligned rather than offset so every other thwart has no place for an oarsman to place his oar.  On all the contemporary drawings I have seen (there are a lot of them available for free  at the NMM Collections site and Wikimedia) there is also a cross thwart at the transom for the helmsman which is not shown in their pictures.   Some of these items may or may not have been present depending on the year, but in Mays' book on ship's boats he gives scantlings for all of these items for cutters of various lengths, so some or perhaps all of these missing items likely should be present.  Perhaps their plans are more detailed and show these parts.   

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Pete, perhaps the below contemporary drawings will help.  Note that these cutters have no ears, but many of the other items mentioned previously, plus the floorboards. (Sorry, not sure of the proper term on this one.)  Also note that the first drawing shows  six cutout for the oars, but there are actually three per side unless it is double banked.  As it is between 6 and 7 feet in breadth, I am pretty sure it would be single banked.   If you need scantlings, feel free to PM me.

Allan

1193222908_Cutter25foot.jpg.870bcaf3044380cdc116ba79f6f2dce5.jpg

1801328014_18footcutterNMM1.thumb.jpg.ec097af64712d009811ade5fa94033ec.jpg

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Allan; thank you for posting these drawings. Very helpful...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

33 minutes ago, James H said:

There will be a short review on this in the next week.

... and my CAF longboat build will be here soon. Same materials, will be interesting to compare notes. Mine's fiddly, how's yours?

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold