USS Alaska CB-1 by S.A.A. - HobbyBoss - 1:350 - PLASTIC

After many years of building planes and AFVs I understood that I want something new.
So I decided to try myself at fleet.
My very first ship is gonna be a beautiful kit from Hobby Boss which is USS Alaska in 1/350 scale.
I've chosen this one because a couple of reasons:

1. It looks great 🙂

2. It is a new kit (2017) so everything should go together well

3. The kit has 4 big plates with PE parts and it's not necessary to by extra PE (at least it's enough for my level😀)

4. The deck on this ship was painted dark blue and I decided not to buy an extra wooden deck.

The only aftermarket that I've bought for this model is a set of 305 and 127 mm metal barrels.

I would be appreciate for all the comments and tips, but I'm totally new in fleet, so please don't be strict)))

Let's go...

20200924_184817.jpg

As I've started building this kit a couple of weeks ago, I have some progress now - it's about 60% assembled.
But I'd like to go through several stages and show you some photos.

So the first couple of hours I've spent by sanding the lower hull. It had some noticeable seams.
For better understanding of the size, I've put the bottle of glue. The ship is over 70cm lenght.

20200924_185353.jpg

15 minutes ago, yvesvidal said:

Very nice work with the PEs. Very clean and precise. What glue do you use?

Yves

Thanks a lot!
I've tried a dozen of different glues and found out that the best one for me is one of the cheapest, which is called "Premia". It's an own brand of one Ukrainian supermarket.
In fact they have two CA glues. On dries faster and another is thicker and gives you more time to place the detail. I use both of them.
To apply it I use a scalpel blade and a toothpick.

Your work with the kit PE is nicely done. Looking forward to seeing some more of your work.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

That kit is probably one of the better ones to start with if your an experienced modeler that hasn't done 1/350 ships before, like you said, a modern molding so the parts are well fitting and the included PE isn't that involved.... Certainly better than starting with a Yamato.... It's big enough to be interesting, yet not so complicated with details that it becomes a long drawn out build....

Nice PE skills as well..... 

I hope you don't mind if I sit in?.....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Nice work in a relatively short time.

I am glad you chose the American CB instead of the Yamato. It has been done so often and the CBs were such hansom ships. (In my opinion) Didn't really have much of a career compared to other US ships but unique designs none the less.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Ah, Suggestion....

Your SK2 & SG radars, (that square bedspring looking thing on the top of the mast and the small oval curved dish on the short mast behind it) should be pointed in the other direction.... The supporting frame of the SK is on the rear of the radar, the flat surface of the SK should face the bow of the ship as well as the curved inner surface of the SG antenna.....

1327843878_USSalaska.jpg.9a1fc4689c8aee0eebbf57c08c93a38f.jpg

Just a minor quibble, the rest looks on the money....

Not that it would never be seen in that position, (it rotated at 5 rpm when in operation) usually facing forward or at a slight angle to forward is the photogenic position for radars....

EG

Edited by Egilman

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Yes, you need some medications. I suggest Tamiya and Ambroid liquid glue, inhaled with moderation.

Do not forget an ointment of Tamiya anti-fouling red paint on your forehead, before going to bed.

Great display. I cannot wait to see them built in the Forum.

Yves

On 11/5/2020 at 6:07 AM, S.A.A. said:

I guess I got crazy about ships

Getting crazy about ships is a good thing, especially around these parts brother..... 

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

4hours and no responses?

There are a couple off Navsource...

04020105.jpg.92e420f936d158ddb4b5c3ae00f04dda.jpg04020106.jpg.0951d8e46ec1371017026533f2bf30f7.jpg

There is also Steve Wipers book from Classic Warships publishing- Warship Pictorial #43 Alaska Class Cruisers (reviewed on that site) Available on Amazon and Evilbay....

Pretty much a straight forward US naval tower crane....

Hope it helps....

EG

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

superb looking build so far........the PE work is very well done :)   also,  a fine selection of ships for the stash.......you have the Yamato....I have the Shokaku ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Beautiful and precise PE work.  I think I'll stick to wood though.. lol.. Thanks and will continue to follow along on this, I've always thought these ships were lookers.

Brian

Mystery project coming soon!

Current build - Medway Longboat

Complete - Armed Virginia Sloop       Complete - Carmen (First Build)