Ancient Chinese XiXing Pavilion - CAF Model

James H

As I'm currently in ship-building hiatus (not for long), I thought I'd make a start on CAF Model's Ancient Chinese Pavilion kit, reviewed here.

754f45816b.thumb.jpg.6972ade262f73b9e517038052474fb1d.jpg

DSC_5529.jpeg

At the moment, I've only got the base built up, but the fit is superb. This consists of two hexagonal plates with one of these being engraved and containing the holes for the pillars. There are six side pieces which have engraved bevel marks. The material is ply, but really nice stuff with no warp. Before starting, everything is given a nice light sanding with some 320 grit paper.

DSC_5530.jpeg

I found a knife the best way to evenly bevel the size piece ends.

DSC_5531.jpeg

These are then glued in with Titebond and the the lid temporarily fitted whilst the sides dry. The lid of the base is then finally glued in position and elastic bands used to hold things nice and tight. 

DSC_5532.jpeg

DSC_5533.jpeg

DSC_5536.jpeg

Char removal is now done with a piece of 80 grit paper, followed by finer grades so there are no surface scratches.

DSC_5537.jpeg

...more as soon as I've actually done some!

awesome structure.......looks neat!  I'm look'in in  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I've not been idle this last week. 

In between finishing build work on a Tiger Moth for a mag article, I've been cleaning my man cave and getting things back into order. What time I've had left, I've put into some extra work on this. As I said, Tom will use this for his manual, and that's why I've not used any paint. 

The next step was to glue the column bases into position, followed by the columns themselves. To ensure I got those columns vertical and evenly spaced whilst setting, I slid the pavilion upper former into position. Small pots of paint (same size) were used to make sure that part was even all around until the columns dried. It was then removed.

8.jpeg

9.jpeg

Next come the 5 sets of walls. It's important that you get all these so the pattern is the same on the outside or it will just look odd. If these look familiar, remember that the symbol was a Buddhist one long before it was misused in the 20th century. 

11.jpeg

Those walls are now glued into position using the etched markings on the floor, and the benching part slid down the columns. At this point, I glued that upper former into position at the top of the columns as it provided that extra rigidity. 

13.jpeg

14.jpeg

These parts here are the frames onto which the seat backs will mount. 

15.jpeg

The seat backs were soaked in hot water for 30 mins and then wrapped around a 2kg weight and bound tight. This was left overnight on a radiator.

17.jpeg

The seat backs were now carefully glued into position. 

18.jpeg

Time to pretty up the top area of the pavilion. Several panels, both decorative and plain are now glued into position. 

20.jpeg

22.jpeg

The next stage is the roof, but that will take a week or so until I can get onto it as I need to finalise my magazine project.

This pavilion is a real nice kit and a wonderful diversion whilst still sticking with timber modelling.

23.jpeg

Really nice work James!  What a cool little project.  Are you planning on painting it?

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

looks great James.....as all your other projects I've looked in on  :)   there's some really intricate laser cutting in the kit.......very nice

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

15 hours ago, James H said:

Not on this one as Tom wants to use it for an English language instruction manual/leaflet. 

Another plus mark for Tom and his company. What a novel idea to use a native of the language to write the instructions rather to rely on a person who uses it as a second language! I have wished that companies would do that so many times over the years! Sometimes the mistakes are only humorous. Other times they are downright baffling.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey