FINISHED - Toyota Sard Supra GT - Tamiya - 1:24 Scale

CDW

2 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

Looking great. Any way you can push out the rear wheels, so that they fill up the wells entirely? 

Ideally, you would want the rear tire flanges to be flush with the fender extensions.

Yves

Tamiya engineers their car kits using a poly bushing where the wheel slips inside the bushing with a snug fit to hold it in place. They are all the way in, bottomed out right now. I'll have to look at some photos of the 1:1 car to try to see exactly what you are referring to. I'm not sure I understand what you're asking me.

I think he is referring to the " Carlos Fandango" effect, where race cars tend to have wider wheels at the rear, thereby the tyres protrude past the arches. At least that is my interpretation . Much as on this Castrol supra

a70c4158275a4171da790d414cc2ff47.jpg

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

There might be just a wee bit of room to slide the tire/wheel out just a bit, but the top of the fender flare will hit the top of the tire so it cannot fit outside the well. Thanks for the photo reference and interpretation.

None of the photos I found of the Sard Supra show the tires outside of the wells/flares but I clearly see it on the photo you referenced.

Edited by CDW

I also found that Craig, it appears that the Sard Supra wheels do not exceed the flare of the arch, maybe it doesn't need wider tyres as the engineers put more of a camber on the wheels as in this internet photo 

toyota_sard_supra_gt_10.jpg

Current builds;

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

I would have thought most perfomance cars are set up with wheels/arches matched  to aid stream lining, I know its a fashion thing in street racing cars  (hot hatch type things) from the 80s.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

25 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

I also found that Craig, it appears that the Sard Supra wheels do not exceed the flare of the arch, maybe it doesn't need wider tyres as the engineers put more of a camber on the wheels as in this internet photo 

I first noticed the difference in the wheels/tires between the Castrol Supra and the Sard Supra while I watched a scale model build video of the Castrol car. It was obvious they protruded further outside the wheel wells and the model captures this difference between the two cars.

Today, I masked off and painted the black trim around the windows. In these photos, I have moved the tires as far to the outside as they can go and then they touch the inside top of the wheel well arch.

Oh, by the way, the black trim is actually Vallejo black gray. I rarely use pure black.

IMG_1036.thumb.jpg.f71828e0b90850389dee3d6bf6db5dc9.jpgIMG_1037.thumb.jpg.5af756a227309f02ae2e68ca744b8963.jpgIMG_1038.thumb.jpg.cf2b20641fdb0f0b8d8f7a747fb19f5a.jpgIMG_1039.thumb.jpg.809596de5a5409ecf110e62a396341b4.jpgIMG_1040.thumb.jpg.1c55e8215de25fa704b832fe63a37e2c.jpgIMG_1042.thumb.jpg.9e507a7767f8f476a55d52b4e72c2019.jpg

That is looking sharp mate.👍

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I'm really looking forward to the graphics/decals going on as it will change it from an excellent looking pimped street car into a thoroughbred competition touring car.

Great work and some exceptional painting. 

Current builds;

Completed:

48 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

That is looking sharp mate.👍

OC.

42 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

I'm really looking forward to the graphics/decals going on as it will change it from an excellent looking pimped street car into a thoroughbred competition touring car.

Great work and some exceptional painting. 

Thanks gentlemen. Decals are going on this evening, at least the start of it. We are in the midst of a hurricane right now, but it's recently degraded to tropical storm status. Should see the worst of it in my area over the next 12 hours or so. Hoping it won't be too bad.

The rubber would be flush with the outside of the fender flare... she was a wide track car unlike most others which needed the tire spacing for stability....

The difference being she was designed from the start for racing where the others were production designs altered for racing....

I have faith brother, you know as well as I that the graphics make or break a white car.... I'm sure you are going to do a spectacular job.....

She is downright gorgeous right now....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

3 hours ago, CDW said:

Thanks gentlemen. Decals are going on this evening, at least the start of it. We are in the midst of a hurricane right now, but it's recently degraded to tropical storm status. Should see the worst of it in my area over the next 12 hours or so. Hoping it won't be too bad.

Hope all will be well  - stay safe.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

WOW!  look'in really nice! :)   did you paint the rims?......looks sweet!  the interior is well done also........

I was getting worried Lou........I was reading through the log and wasn't seeing any post from you :unsure:  

we had a supra in the back of the garage I worked at....belonged to one of the brothers.  I forget the year,  but it was an early model...70's,  80's.  it had a in-line....can't recall how many cylinders......but it was a long engine.  we used to have to push it in and out of the shop every day,  until they parked it out back.  another one of the brothers has an old spyder {pain in the a**}

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Judging from tonight's effort with the decals, it's going to take a couple of days to get them on, touched up, and clear coated. Tamiya decals are very thin and brittle. Takes a lot of care not to break them into  lots and lots of itty bitty pieces. This makes the work go slower and more difficult but I like the end results so far. Will take some photos tomorrow.

PS: we've had a lot of rain from the storm, some wind, but not too bad. My son who lives north of me is getting hit harder. His power is out but he has a backup generator wired into his circuit. If my power goes out, I'm down to candles, flashlights, and propane gas for cooking. No generator.

8 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

I was getting worried Lou........I was reading through the log and wasn't seeing any post from you :unsure: 

Oh I'm here Denis. Stalking around ninja style trying to soak up information on what would be my next car build should I ever be able to get to it. Ken Miles' pale blue Ford GT MKII from the 1966 24 hours of Lemans race. The true winning car.

Nothing like getting to hang out in the rafters and see how people with real skills get it done!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

25 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Ken Miles' pale blue Ford GT MKII from the 1966 24 hours of Lemans race. The true winning car.

The ending of that race always has bothered me, Miles was the winner no doubt, but it's a distance race under the rules and when they crossed the line three abreast the car that traveled the farthest distance officially won the race.... And it was done as a publicity stunt for Ford.... For some reason that rankles me....

25 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Nothing like getting to hang out in the rafters and see how people with real skills get it done!

Hey brother, as long as you keep your head in it, the hands will have no choice but to follow.... Patiently waiting here, I have faith....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Wow, those are decals?  Went on really well with all those curves.  Nice job!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Looks so complex  - enough to test the application of decals  - frankly  if anyone can do it  you can mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 hour ago, CDW said:

A raw preview of the decal action. The car body has so many compound curves and small raised details such as fasteners that make decal application without multiple touch ups, impossible. Even masking and painting the red instead of decals would be equally challenging because of the compound curves.

Well, I still have faith in your talents.... I believe your up to the challenge.... those pics serve to back this opinion up....

Quote:

Decals and masking are the most tenuous parts for scale modeling in my opinion. With decals, you never know from one sheet to the next exactly what to expect until you actually start applying them. This is due to the various manufacturers, the age of the specific decal sheet, and the complexity of the surfaces to which they are applied. Additionally, you never know exactly how the decals will react to decal solvents. It's best to start with the milder ones first, then graduate to the stronger solutions if need be. In this case, I am using Microscale brand, Microsol. Solvaset is a stronger solution but can destroy some decals. These are so thin and delicate, I thought it best to stick with the milder of the two solutions. 

Because this kit was introduced in the mid 90's, I am guessing the decal sheet i acquired from Tamiya USA is maybe a bit old stock rather than newer manufacture. They have that "old" feel when applying them. They should not be as brittle as they are.

On the home front, nature did a marvelous job of pruning the trees in my yard. The wife and I spent several hours this morning gathering and bundling small branches, raking up, bagging leaves and acorns. Then we dragged out all the Christmas ornaments and staged them for next week. Our daughters are flying down from New Hampshire next week so we will have an early Thanksgiving-Christmas celebration.

I've had fits with decals that large too.  they never conform,  and if you force them........well,  then your dealing with two decals.   I bought a Cutty kit from E-bay.......the decal sheet was trash,  so I got another one from Revell.   that one broke up into thousands of shards due to micro cracking.......so your assumption of decal age is true :(   you might have done better to purchase a sheet from an outside source.

Drag Racing Decals - Mike's Decals

Archer Fine Transfers, Decals, Surface Details and Dry Transfers for model builders

personally,  with the masking ability that you have,  I would think that paint might work better.   decals can be the most discouraging thing about the car model medium  ;) 

I hope you can fix it.  root'in for ya good buddy.   I've even thought about pull'in out the decorations myself...........we all need something to smile about ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I took these photos to give you a view of the sausage making process. It sure is an ugly thing. When the decals first go down and get their first coat of microsol, they look to be in a total and unrecoverable mess.

IMG_1045.thumb.jpg.e8b26e6475404a7d3838dcc75e377ad6.jpg

IMG_1044.thumb.jpg.9e7aebe1000fc89526597a60a1e6243f.jpg

But you work it, massage it and in between several or more applications of microsol along with enough drying time to allow the solvent to do it's thing and it finally works itself out.

DSCN3081.thumb.JPG.a4fc6929b3085d72f10b32158bf058a3.JPGDSCN3082.thumb.JPG.a3ae36ea735e98be4aed264100911867.JPG

At this time, almost all the large red decal pieces have been placed, but there remains a considerable number of other smaller decals yet to be applied. 

DSCN3083.thumb.JPG.378fc3f341b3e3abc2217c4e892a1f46.JPG 

Spoiler

That Micro Sol and Set  are amazing.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

7 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:
  Reveal hidden contents

That Micro Sol and Set  are amazing.

OC.

Yes, and you have to work it v..e..r..y - s..l..o..w..l..y.

This is one instance where haste will make waste.

Oh, and I should have mentioned...use warm water to dip the decals. Cold water gives lots of trouble when sliding the decal off the paper. Warm water does the trick, but not too hot. I have a cup warmer that I use to keep the water warmed in a small tin pan.

Edited by CDW

39 minutes ago, CDW said:

Yes, and you have to work it v..e..r..y - s..l..o..w..l..y.

This is one instance where haste will make waste.

Oh, and I should have mentioned...use warm water to dip the decals. Cold water gives lots of trouble when sliding the decal off the paper. Warm water does the trick, but not too hot. I have a cup warmer that I use to keep the water warmed in a small tin pan.

Yep, I agree with you with the water  - I noticed a big difference aswel    - good thing aswel about Micro Sol  - you can re visit it  even the next day  to help the decal settle even more.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Hi Craig

Fantastic work on the decals. One thing I have seen some people do is use a hair dryer for a few seconds to speed up the drying process between microsol (or equivalent) applications.

There's a YouTube channel called scale modelling channel (mainly cars) that has quite a lot of good how to videos. Not saying you need it! ☺️. Just FYI...

I'll stop rambling now...

Nick

7 minutes ago, fnick said:

Hi Craig

Fantastic work on the decals. One thing I have seen some people do is use a hair dryer for a few seconds to speed up the drying process between microsol (or equivalent) applications.

There's a YouTube channel called scale modelling channel (mainly cars) that has quite a lot of good how to videos. Not saying you need it! ☺️. Just FYI...

I'll stop rambling now...

Nick

I love that channel! Watch it a lot. Have not tried using a hair dryer yet, but will give it a try on some spare scrap decals to see how it works. Thanks

Excellent tip on the warm water, Craig. 👍

Hmm, Ferrari Red on that Toyota?

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild