Panzerkampfwagen V Panther Ausf.A - Tamiya-1:35 by Edwardkenway - FINISHED

So I finally gave in and entered the realm of 1:35 armour, this is an unknown path for me apart from the failed card Sherman earlier this year.

What I do may not always be historically correct but I plan to enjoy what I do.

So of the three kits I bought for less than £40 for all three20201103_090244.thumb.jpg.c1a0591286f5f3854cbbf6331634a1f0.jpg

I'm starting with the tank20201108_213214.thumb.jpg.09e8975e1a07b2cc3990ac5e39bf117b.jpg

as I'm basing it in the europe theatre I'm basing everything in tamiya german grey20201108_213149.thumb.jpg.e49146eed3d7279fc5a7924f31531010.jpg

more to come.

Cheers 😉👍

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Im here mate  - looking forward to this.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Nice start Edward. Looking forward to learning some stuff from you.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Thankyou gentlemen, this is my first ever plastic kit tank, as I only did planes and ships as a kid.

Lou, with this I think it maybe the blind leading the blind, luckily we have Jack on hand and EG for his exceptional information ;)

Current builds;

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

All three for only 40 quid? that's a good price my friend......

That's actually a very good kit for a first time armor builder, good details and wide variation in paint and markings, Panthers were everywhere except Africa....

As your first foray into the mud hog world, you couldn't get a better set of kits.....

I'm sure the crew will be here in case you have any questions, it is a pretty straightforward build.....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

5 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

Thankyou gentlemen, this is my first ever plastic kit tank, as I only did planes and ships as a kid.

Lou, with this I think it maybe the blind leading the blind, luckily we have Jack on hand and EG for his exceptional information ;)

Yea, this was one of my first tank kits.  It is an easy build, fun, kit is well designed, parts go together easily, practically no flash to remove.   Here's photo of my version. The painting is all free hand airbrush, no masks,  using Floquil brand paints.

Internet_20200404_152205_11.jpeg.cdf2a429b188abe275c9577a73960f55.jpeg

Nice model Jack, sadly my painting will be old school brush by hand as I don't have an airbrush....yet🤫

I will have to find a way of painting the soft edge camo or a cheap and I mean cheap airbrush :ph34r:

Current builds;

Completed:

Brush by hand is how I started until I could get a Badger airbrush. Compressor were huge expensive things back then so I used the compressed air Propel brand cans. Now the compressors are small and inexpensive. 

I have been looking but need to get the budget rubber stamped from the Admiral,  that said it is Christmas and my birthday next month,  maybe....:stunned:

Current builds;

Completed:

One of MSW's sponsors USA Airbrush Supply has a nice selection. Shipping costs to UK might make them too expensive but you should be able to locate a UK source. Badger has a nice line of beginner brushes.

Edited by Jack12477

I'm in for this one too!  Though, I might have one eye closed.  I started with plastic ships and told me that was the end of plastic for me.  Then I started on planes, and said no way will I buy car kits.  Well after a bunch of car kits in the stash, I have been saying no armor kits!  With your skills, I'll be sorely tempted to break yet another vow!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Welcome one and all, Mike, if I was you I'd just give in to the force! Watching Craig's car builds is sorely tempting me to spend,  spend, spend. At least then I could justify an airbrush 😆🤫

Current builds;

Completed:

4 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

I'm in for this one too!  Though, I might have one eye closed.  I started with plastic ships and told me that was the end of plastic for me.  Then I started on planes, and said no way will I buy car kits.  Well after a bunch of car kits in the stash, I have been saying no armor kits!  With your skills, I'll be sorely tempted to break yet another vow!

You know you can't resist Mike  - neither of us can.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 hour ago, Edwardkenway said:

Welcome one and all, Mike, if I was you I'd just give in to the force! Watching Craig's car builds is sorely tempting me to spend,  spend, spend. At least then I could justify an airbrush 😆🤫

You could always get a model of an airbrush  to start with  - then get an airbrush to paint the model airbrush - "Gonna stop there  - just getting too weird"😁

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

12 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

I will have to find a way of painting the soft edge camo or a cheap and I mean cheap airbrush

There are ways to do soft edge without an airbrush, several ways in fact..... I'm gonna have to do one of my fav's in the future....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

7 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

With your skills, I'll be sorely tempted to break yet another vow!

Need a different take on this thought?

With your skills Mike, I don't see how you can avoid it.... (chuckle)

Quote:

8 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

You could always get a model of an airbrush  to start with  - then get an airbrush to paint the model airbrush - "Gonna stop there  - just getting too weird"😁

OC.

Very droll OC 🤪

My youngest daughter has been informed and sent a link to an airbrush 🤭and it appears one could be coming from Santa for me this year:36:

5 hours ago, Egilman said:

Need a different take on this thought?

With your skills Mike, I don't see how you can avoid it.... (chuckle)

Yep, with Mike's skills I would say it's a forgone conclusion that there will be a Landlubber armour kit coming very soon 🤣

Current builds;

Completed:

1 hour ago, Edwardkenway said:

Yep, with Mike's skills I would say it's a forgone conclusion that there will be a Landlubber armour kit coming very soon 🤣

He could always start out with a M113............... They float!:D

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

8 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

Very droll OC 🤪

My youngest daughter has been informed and sent a link to an airbrush 🤭and it appears one could be coming from Santa for me this year:36:

Sorry mate  - my sense of humour,🙃

I too  have looked into sprayers  but have fell back on  rattle cans as my most convenient medium  for spraying for me.     however brush painting can still produce some amazing results.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

2 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

I too  have looked into sprayers  but have fell back on  rattle cans as my most convenient medium  for spraying for me.     however brush painting can still produce some amazing results.

OC.

No worries OC, I'm with you on the sense of humour. 

I know my youngest daughter will actually get me an airbrush, hence the link so that I get the one I picked and not some knock off Chinese garbage😉

Current builds;

Completed:

2 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

OC.

No worries OC, I'm with you on the sense of humour. 

I know my youngest daughter will actually get me an airbrush, hence the link so that I get the one I picked and not some knock off Chinese garbage😉

So on with tank. Made and fitted the wheels which all spin,20201110_174914.thumb.jpg.894f880b6b69c5434183730bd4864374.jpg

except the idle wheel, hence having to remove the teeth. 20201110_175105.thumb.jpg.05bc7925a0feb805432e3115992ab2a0.jpg

I've started to make up the turret and main gun but had to stop as the glue is getting to my head.

Wheels aren't  being painted as they should look fine with the final finish....hopefully 😬

Thanks to everyone who has dropped by and those who've hit the button 😁

Cheers 

Edit just realised got the previous post included in this one😶

Sausage fingers are no good on mobile phones 🤨

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

On 11/8/2020 at 10:54 PM, Edwardkenway said:

What I do may not always be historically correct but I plan to enjoy what I do.

Good idea, I'm going to enjoy this too 👍

On 11/8/2020 at 10:54 PM, Edwardkenway said:

as I'm basing it in the europe theatre I'm basing everything in tamiya german grey

But, a Panther in Panzer Grey was a very rare thing on the European front (1944-45) 

(There may have been one in this color when all the sand yellow paint was used up ;))

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

4 hours ago, Backer said:

But, a Panther in Panzer Grey was a very rare thing on the European front (1944-45) 

(There may have been one in this color when all the sand yellow paint was used up ;))

Yes I've been doing a bit of googling, so the grey is basically a base coat, the camo will be khaki and sand yellow so maybe some  grey will still be seen😌 just so I haven't wasted my  efforts painting it grey😂 and the High Command can go hang😆😇

Thanks for signing up Patrick. 

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

Yep there probably would be some grey on it, but understand that by that date most came from the factory in sand yellow and the greys and browns were applied in the field.... just being technically accurate....

It would have to be a very early Panther to be issued in Grey.... But with an airbrush, it will make little difference....

Nice work so far my friend...

Quote:

8 minutes ago, Egilman said:

But with an airbrush, it will make little difference....

I like your argument for the acquisition of an airbrush EG, but fear no more my daughter has come good 😁 but I cant have it til my birthday 😪

Current builds;

Completed:

25 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

but I cant have it til my birthday

What ! You have to wait that long !  ☹  she should at least give it to you for Christmas. 😉😉😉

2 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

I like your argument for the acquisition of an airbrush EG, but fear no more my daughter has come good 😁 but I cant have it til my birthday 😪

Thought that was tomorrow mate.😉

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

2 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

If we all sing happy birthday today, will that help?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)