Norwegian Sailing Pram by JohnN - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Scale 1:12

The Pram is completed.  Thanks to @SkiBee for his build log, which clarified some points as I was building.  

As a second kit, there is a reasonable increase in build complexity from the Dory.  Especially nice is the need for some rigging, and at a level I did not find daunting.  The scale choice is also appreciated, as it meant not having to deal with very small parts, and allowed concentration on technique.

The instructions do need an update to correct errors, and MS needs to be more careful with the Bill of Materials.  It is frustrating to discover missing or shorted parts.  While I realize the need to have beta testes of products, I do think it is reasonable to let customers know they are getting early versions, and to make provisions for quick interaction with the manufacturer.  This site did save me considerable annoyance.

The build has increased my familiarity with wooden ship model building, and the Dory, Pram build sequence is well designed.  If the kit is improved based on feedback, I can recommend it.

20201207_174525.jpg

20201207_174217.jpg

20201207_174204.jpg

Edited by JohnN
spacing between photos

In Progress:

Completed:

Knarr 1:35

MS Norwegian Pram 1:12

MS Grand Banks Dory 1:24

I am working on a kit review as I write this - actually I can't do both at the same time...😎

It will be just a bit before it is posted but it's a great Level 3 kit.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

• 1 month later...

Hi, John - Looks great! I have a question:

How did you go about staining such small pieces? I'm at this point on the GB Dory model, and I want to stain the seats as you have. Did you just hold them in fingers and wipe with cloth? Silly question I know, but I don't want to screw this up. . .

Thanks, Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bob - Not sure what John did when painting/staining, but when I was painting my Norwegian Sailing Pram, I wore vinyl gloves when painting the hull and the seats and just held them while painting.  I buy the vinyl gloves in boxes of 100 (I use them also for food handling when doing my meat smoking).  I am going to stain the display stand tomorrow and will use gloves and wipe the stain on with a cloth, as you suggested.  Hope your Dory is progressing well!

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

Reading your posts about the sail construction, JohnN.  Great job!  I am to that point now on my build, and have a bit of anxiety in completing it properly.  The gluing, taping and making holes for the lacing all have me a bit worried.  Can I ask what ratio of glue/water you used to dilute the glue?

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

On 2/7/2021 at 10:57 PM, GGibson said:

Hi Bob - Not sure what John did when painting/staining, but when I was painting my Norwegian Sailing Pram, I wore vinyl gloves when painting the hull and the seats and just held them while painting.  I buy the vinyl gloves in boxes of 100 (I use them also for food handling when doing my meat smoking).  I am going to stain the display stand tomorrow and will use gloves and wipe the stain on with a cloth, as you suggested.  Hope your Dory is progressing well!

Thanks, G!

• 4 weeks later...