V-22 Osprey - Italeri 1:48 scale by Popeye the Sailor - finished

OC, I would guess that there's several ways of locking out wing rotation.  The simplest would be the landing gear indicators.  When the gear down and locked, the wings would have to be in position.  With weight on the gears, no rotation possible. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Weight on wheels switches are fairly common. Helps keep landing gear down, primarily for takeoffs. Some fighter guys liked to flip the gear switch  up as they started rolling and you could get the gear up faster. Of course, if you had a problem at rotation and wanted to stay on the runway (assuming there was enough in front of your to allow stopping) , you could be sraping along on tanks and partial gear.  Hard to stand up to the Boss and explain that.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

On 11/14/2020 at 1:14 PM, Canute said:

I'd bet there was a lockout of some kind to prevent tilting the nacelles from the vertical position, on the ground. As long as they've been around, I've never read about that happening.

Actually it depends on where they are located when they are on the ground, typical take off procedure is to do a rolling takeoff from a runway.... (when one is available)

Generally, although capable of taking off vertically, they usually do not.... I'm sure they have a warning indicator of some type if they are tilting the engines too far forward when on the ground

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

And, the original transformer....

Startup and Takeoff

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

there are those vents again...........on both sides of where the wing mates the fuselage.   I think that the ones where I didn't see these vents,  were ones that weren't equipped with the folding wing......they were fixed.  I should do it in the lighter gray.......it does look good.  really neat to see one fold out....thanks for posting the videos :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

as mentioned........the rotors are huge!  seeing them assembled......I can just imagine them on the finished model.

360109500_1.jpg.7b7da4438035251eb8dd4cbaabdae297.jpg

the instructions direct you to paint the insides of the engine.......I did not.  rather than do that,  I just painted around the vent openings,  and the insides of the vent parts.

608798754_2.jpg.16c4c13f3a7f855ba49256e928c22a3d.jpg

so that when the vents are added to the narcelles,  they will appear darkened.  I did paint the exhaust port in the rear of the narcelles.

1386088069_3.jpg.e662c51efa72441109a3c803a597e4ff.jpg

not sure what these parts are......they may be lights,  but they were added to the spinners.

1963462255_4.jpg.d041408f06f11ced815e32c0d239e18a.jpg

I would have used some of the bomber instrument panel decals to add to the panel in the cockpit......but I noticed the absence of gauges.  so I just painted the detail to the panel.......and the side panel on the starboard side.

1918230440_5.jpg.83641932e7f309faeb6b33c844e38940.jpg

some touch up needed....not the best work.  with the glass in place,  this might be tougher to see.  the cargo door(s) have been painted.....I did the bottom to look like the interior floor.

913579139_6.jpg.8c14aab881db23ca3e4b6a6feae99ead.jpg

I've been doing paint in other areas.......here is the beginning of the wing.  still needs touching up.

613925537_7.jpg.2b8fee69991a7492eccd5b0de71abfd2.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Some good progress there mate   - coming along nicely.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Denis, these more modern a/c have fewer obvious gauges, since everything is digital flat screens.  My wife flies in the Civil Air Patrol using a tablet and a few gauges in the Cessna 182s they fly.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

how do they expect us to model,  when they keep changing the playing field???   :wacko:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Gotta keep buying the newer kits and after-market goodies.;):ph34r:

Ken

2 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

how do they expect us to model,  when they keep changing the playing field???   :wacko:

I'm guessing that in the next few years, some of those "computer" control panels and instruments will be operational.   They might not be seen after the model is built but the builder will know that they are there and work.  :rolleyes:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I was play'in with the prospects of Christmas........if Santa thinks I've been good enough,  I should be look'in at a whole lot of fire power ;)   did a bit more paint today,  along with some of the glass......alas though,  no pictures.  I should have some soon when I reach where I'm try'in to get to.  also got some sawdust under my fingernails....if I scratch,  the itch goes away.....but the intervals seem to be getting shorter ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

hurray.......some progress .......and pictures too! :)   I'm trying to get the cockpit done,  so I can get the interior in.  then I can close the fuselage up and finish the exterior painting.  the camera is still something to get used to......I'm trying to live with the flash.  pictures are darker if I don't....  I've also finished covering the gaping hole that used to be our cellar bulkhead.....I had mentioned about a month back that someone crashed into it.  he missed negotiating the curve by our house,  went out of control,  went over the two driveways {ours and our neighbor's}.  grazed the house,  which sent him into the 'doghouse' that was the cellar entrance.  the house shook........I scrambled outside,  where I saw the car backing out of our driveway.  I tried to flag him down,  but he took off.........on four flat tires!  they were flattened from hitting the curbings.  he didn't get far.......I told the cops the make of the car and a partial plate number....they seemed surprised that I was able to give that much information.  the landlord came by last week and took down the 'doghouse',  and left the stairway to the cellar exposed........I asked him about it and he didn't think it was a big deal.  leaves have already filled the bottom of the stairs.......the cold and accumulating snow should have been something he'd be concerned about.  ......some landlord........sheeesh! :rolleyes:

the seats were painted.......I painted the cushions and the seat belts....and added the frame in the back.

1186831340_1.jpg.2b6803844dd2cd1e4760ae4c8415e38d.jpg

excuse the blurry......

300057936_2.jpg.151519875f93ed2e0b259d81c198069a.jpg

I did touch up the passenger section a little.......with what you'll be able to see,  I only did what was visible.

1095554135_3.jpg.e9d15d38eeb274dce7ac68296ad518c8.jpg

the glass was added here as well...the one in the cockpit,  the door,  and at seat #18........  I painted the exterior before the glass was added.

1463922885_4.jpg.dce2da24ee5896932902b3931f77e62e.jpg

the bottom will be done when I get the two halves together.  once the fuselage is together,  I can add the tail section........that has also been painted.

1459749326_5.jpg.919b792d550ab82193967df2a3d56001.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

there are a pair of vents that go on the outside of the fuselage.  as I was cutting them from the sprue,  one of them broke.....so it's on the mend at the moment.

29734433_1.jpg.936387eff9c1ed24956e84d5240edfd1.jpg

the cockpit was finally assembled and cemented in place........the passenger section was then added.  it was allowed to set for a short......it didn't make sense to me.....so the fuselage was cemented together.  the lower section of the cargo door snapped into place along with the assembly

788124932_2.jpg.548a540527c2b06424a6802859f9303f.jpg

the exposed venting was painted flat black before the upper paint was done.

1036778802_3.jpg.2faec620fc31abec5a9a51836a5cb90b.jpg

1086811534_4.jpg.cf46b982e3f38e71032ef11346ab0d51.jpg

I did some touch ups on the cockpit........I should do more.  

628609824_5.jpg.06428dd0716d4e3ca9e184d7eaf9fbaa.jpg

1738905507_6.jpg.8fbf377d4bdcd29b4cdb554d69503d05.jpg

I started to paint the glass frame.........

460773424_7.jpg.bf7fc8c4639f0a336f0531d60fe4b3f8.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice work mate  - coming on nicely.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

thanks OC........and thanks to all who hit the like button :)   not much more has been done,  other than to cement the tail section on the fuselage.  the upper part of the cargo door has also been added,  since installing it depended on being able to spread the opening to slide the pins in place {unlike the bottom section}.  the only unmatched area of the gunship gray paint is at the nose....I kinda figured that would happen.  but,  gluing the tail on......both sides are a perfect match ;)   but where are my manners........I can show you :) 

as I mentioned......the bottom section was put in place as the halves were joined......duly noted.  the top section was put in place after the model had some time to dry.

833740454_8.jpg.2a2895b64a21df3d5186ee36b115e059.jpg

the door was already painted........

1943309846_9.jpg.b2b1a16952696b0446616c8b5a55dc10.jpg

it was at this point,  that the tail section was cemented in place.

213839749_10.jpg.40a569d54e1fa80d21f5aa50308689ae.jpg

by this time,  it was time to take the admiral to her doctor's appointment....and shopping on the way home.  it had a few hours to dry.  at this point in the assembly,  the model is definitely tail heavy  ;) 

1528324722_11.jpg.aa22e78056700e107cbefd5dd3bfdf63.jpg

there is tape on the nose......can't show you the mismatch paint lines......but I can at the tail.

926184574_12.jpg.39c274aa9674441340c27c4c0d6a810f.jpg

so now it's clean up the messy glue lines and paint the bottom.  I think that when the wing and engines are in place,  the model will balance out.  if not "ve have vays of dealing vith them..." :ph34r:

#13.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

That's gonna be some  kit when she is finished  - some size aswel.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Hello Denis!

Just found your build on the Osprey!  I'm sneakin' in the back to watch and carrying a clipboard.  (If you carry a clipboard around, you become invisible.  Everyone thinks you're doing something when all you're doing is walking around carrying a clipboard.

Tom

Edited by CW_Tom

Current Build:

USS Tinosa (SSN 606) Fast Attack Submarine - Scratchbuild

Ooh, you've discovered a deep dark secret of us Os.  Skulker. ;)

Ken

I pick up on these things. 🤫

Also, get two hats. If you leave one at your desk, people think you’re there at work when you may in fact be taking a well deserved long lunch break. 

“He must be here, his hats here.”  

Edited by CW_Tom

Current Build:

USS Tinosa (SSN 606) Fast Attack Submarine - Scratchbuild

Pretty sharp, Tom.  But don't tell the Es any more of our secrets. We'll have to actually work. :ph34r: What am I talking about, I am/was an aircrew and never worked for 20 years, just flew my jet around the friendly skies. Back in the early 80s i spent time with my Uncle Mike. He was always asking me when I was going to get a real job.  Didn't think flying a Phantom defending the Free World was a "real" job.

Ken

I do the same thing at work.......I always have a tool in my hand.   that way,  if I'm shoot'in the sherbert with a co worker,  and the boss sees me,.....he think I'm just answering a question,  or help'in the worker out ;)   pretty spry.........right?!?!?! :ph34r:

nothing too great at the moment.......I did the underbelly painting,  and more on the narcelles.......but other than that,  I've been help'in the admiral.

pictures soon.......... ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

just a small update......I am making progress ;)    the underside has been painted.....I did manage to repair and trim the last vent for the port side.  I added it to the model today........

474247411_1.jpg.6c569a388c10d309c6c1317b21cca941.jpg

I'll get that painted up........I've also been doing the paint for the rotors......kind of a two step process.  no pictures yet......   I've done more on the narcelles as far as detail work......

3766951_2.jpg.3e24f20bcee3aaa16b9b9b945b4dc8e2.jpg

.....touch ups on the wing.......and the pods that the narcelles are connected to.......

457397337_3.jpg.0344d3eecf9a26209f941a76f087fea6.jpg

the spinners are pictured here.......they already have been painted.  more to be done....

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking good Denis.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

thanks OC......and thanks to those who hit the like button :)   your Chinook should be a rather large model....what scale is it again?  but yea.....with the tail and wing on it,  it is a fairly large model.  last night,  I though to get the windshield framed out.  I was in Michael's the other week,  and I bought a package of Testor's pin striping tape.......comes in three different widths.

1537253004_1.jpg.bc5759b3b26e9f94e1f6615d2cf1507f.jpg

looking in the background,  I did the frame around the roof section and the center divider.  I'm adding the side columns here.

1680868760_2.jpg.352fbc0e25d9aae6633c29f7318f3c84.jpg

the frames are really faint,  making it hard to mask them off.   there are sliding windows on both sides that needed to be done in two steps......down and the one that boxes this window in.

1833198933_4.jpg.14a48bf9d7a76a9bb5ecac58825c6a62.jpg

1742660032_5.jpg.9ae80b561f490f5da83210a958e2a4fd.jpg

I did a dry fit over the cockpit........

62645722_6.jpg.0235b0883b96ca11246297599cfe11b3.jpg

1625558919_7.jpg.c493463f08b9fc72bd382dd861ef0583.jpg

2046142918_8.jpg.11aaaae9956be45fec927b2772e7030d.jpg

here it is with the wing dry fitted on.......

171656587_9.jpg.5117d55a0ce6300bf4033bf9641d5c14.jpg

the vent has bee painted :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

My Wokka  is 1/48  scale  mate,    your  windows are looking  really nice mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

OK....so your model is just as large as mine.  I'm pleased with the way the tape worked out......and to think,  I usually did it by hand.  I was amazed with how light the frame detail was on this model......I thought it would have been more defined.  I did the roof square with normal masking tape.....it did alright,  but the other frame parts needed something more 'pinpoint'.   that and I didn't want to see the tape stripping off what I already laid down.  I gave the first part of the process a day or two to cure before I did anymore....the rest I only gave it an hour or so.

anyway.......I have more progress to report.  I started to work on assembling the narcelles to the wing.   first was to cement the pods in place.

1509764706_1.jpg.73d16f2fd22e2b77eef8b728836464d2.jpg

1259234374_2.jpg.3e9ae74f5e9eb6a147f7a8ab582b63c9.jpg

the spinners were added to the rotors......

1336108440_3.jpg.8b0bdae2c4fc8afa3205369b9e341ce3.jpg

since I wanted to build her with the rotors in the raised position,  I had painted up the actuator arms that connect the narcelles to the pods.  they are affixed to a pivot.  if I built her with them in the fixed wing position,  I could've omitted the actuator arms...but I like to use as many parts as possible.

434418955_4.jpg.3be08f8500a0837ab1c9947870e9ddd2.jpg

84335688_5.jpg.fd2bcd1a84cdeeb29a726255a731bdd4.jpg

1872134273_6.jpg.d5ee355267411f5f4280a6c93fd629f4.jpg

there are still a few touch ups I need to do........

1908971191_7.jpg.dd0055c613975cc9d56dd39132750c43.jpg

for the grand chuckle......I thought do a dry fit of the state of her affairs.   one thing's for sure......I'll never get 'er back in the box!  :D 

2103712163_8.jpg.e6975772ebea8bbde8d7ef34e5c66cb0.jpg

1783868471_9.jpg.10db225a7247f40e7c0d1996a31a476d.jpg

1449707495_10.jpg.f6b8c04f2f0f2e85373e3a3222f30e9d.jpg

I'm going to have to see about getting a larger crane lamp........there is simply not enough light at the desk!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking good Denis   - certainly taking shape now.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

thanks OC :)    thanks all for the likes!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

I got some time in on her today......mostly painting and some decaling.  added a few parts to the nose as well.....

2060379127_1.jpg.8056828bc782d97b09761b446085d29b.jpg

I also added some {what look like} lights here too......but the pictures were too blurry and I chucked them.  for decaling,  I added the insignias to the wing and started to add the stripes on the rotor.

1843664618_2.jpg.a5c21f7d71d265c0c66180a14e2f1a6b.jpg

1808673392_3.jpg.a298d3b8a56dfea2e12ad7082bc4d87e.jpg

there is a bit of a snag here........on the rotors are some white stripes.  here is what the decal detail looks like for the rotors.....

1222929676_4.jpg.3b5d8173d05264f283a29d82a82ce3f2.jpg

it is a bit of a crap shoot how far to place them.....did it with a ruler.......look good on the top.........

1002056688_5.jpg.b5d324093ea4402e5debada82a271fc9.jpg

but underneath is another story.......they kinda fall short....

1864005486_6.jpg.cb4bc84daeadc4bf80cef513097e81a9.jpg

here I have two options.......I can leave them as a single stripe and patch them up with the second set,  or I can bridge them with some paint and do the second stripe.  had to go Christmas shopping for the admiral,  so I left it here to ponder over.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: