This is going to be a very impressive model!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Very nice! I know it’s early in development, but when might this kit be available for sale. I would like to start saving up my pennies for this beast. 👏

Nice work, Al. 

Edited by John Ruy

Gallery Photos of My Charles W Morgan 

Currently working on New Bedford Whale Boat

Made two new templates for setting the chain plate angles. One is for the forecastle mast, the other for the other five masts. The top of the template corresponds with the slots in the channel while the bottom corresponds with the bottom of the chain plate, You just align the top section with the channel slots and use a pin or ,020" drill through the bottom holes to mark the position of the lower part of the chain plate.

IMG_4614.JPG

Stack brackets are installed. These are made from 1/64" x 1/16" britannia strips bent over a jig (included with the kit) and trimmed. As an aside, forceps are great for holding items for painting. These are cheap ones that I toss in lacquer thinner after I'm done painting. They clean up easily and can last for years.

IMG_4633.JPG

There are 120 holes in the cap rail for belaying pins. I decided not to laser them in because of the potential for breakage. So, you have to drill them but there is a template in the kit that will make this less challenging. You align the first two holes with the space between the stanchions, drill the first hole, stick a belaying pin or piece of rod in the hole to maintain alignment, hold the template in place, and drill away. It actually only takes a few minutes and everything is consistent.

IMG_4637.JPG

The bobstay irons are going to be a bit fiddly to install. The arms are trimmed to length and a .020" hole drilled at the end of each, then through the stem. A pin is inserted through the three holes, glued to the arms and snipped off. By allowing them to pivot, it makes setting the angle easier when the bobstays are attached. Once they are in place, the irons can be glued in place.

IMG_4648.JPG

All I can say is..... WOW!

This is an impressive ship and lovely model.

She is huge. Teehee, at least my 16ft work bench would be good enough....😀

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

• 3 weeks later...

The spring stay bails require a little patience and care to build. They are laser-cut .020" laser board but are surprisingly strong and flexible. They are best built off the mast. Two eyes are glued together, a light coat of thin CA is applied to them, then they are bent over a dowl (front bail) and 1/4" square stick (aft bail). The mast is drilled with a .022" bit, the bail is slid down over the mast, and a pin goes through the holes. Once everything is aligned, CA is applied to the end of the pin and the end is snipped off.

IMG_4674.JPG

IMG_4670.JPG

IMG_4671.JPG

IMG_4669.JPG