Not receiving emails

Not sure what is  happening.

I'm not receiving emails for topics that I'm trying to "follow". This is recent I used to receive the emails when there new postings to topics that I was following. About 2 moths ago they stopped. I haven't been able to figure out why.

Any help would be appreciated.

Suzdal (aka Richard)

21 minutes ago, Suzdal said:

Not sure what is  happening.

I'm not receiving emails for topics that I'm trying to "follow". This is recent I used to receive the emails when there new postings to topics that I was following. About 2 moths ago they stopped. I haven't been able to figure out why.

Any help would be appreciated.

Suzdal (aka Richard)

This could be that your mail provider and our mail server aren't cooperating. 

We used to have this with AOL and that was resolved. There is a similar problem here with Hotmail, which is one causing the biggest issue. 

You can either wait to see if this resolves or you can change to a different email like Gmail etc.

I think that the problem is on your end. I just changed my email address to a "gmail" address and that doesn't seem to have solved the problem. There have been other things I'm following, t which I haven't been notified.

If you respond to this, I should get an email. I don't think I will.

I am more and more convinced that the problem is on your end (.05% not).

There should have been Gmails that I should have gotten from other topics I'm following; I haven't.

Normally I use a POP client to read my emails. This time I connected to Gmail with a browser, nothing was there. I also double checked to see if gmail was sticking a spam filter on, it wasn't.

Is there something that you can do to check on your end? I miss the mails! Should I try and define another account?

Richard (locked down in Paris)😪

PS. Could you reply by email: richard.trilling@gmail.com 

All we can do with these is to fill in the e-forms with Hotmail etc. and hope they resolve it. 

While the problem IS our side, it's to do with our IP number and we can't fix that. We need to send the details to various companies to have that IP number whitelisted. More often or not, they just ignore us. AOL fixed the problem for us, but not all companies are like them, unfortunately.

I always recommend that someone use their actual ISP-provided email (such as AOL, Sky etc.) as those tend to be far more reliable than freemail like Gmail and Hotmail.

I always recommend that someone use their actual ISP-provided email (such as AOL, Sky etc.) as those tend to be far more reliable than freemail like Gmail and Hotmail.

That's what I was doing until you suggested that I use Gmail. I've always tried to avoid things like gmail, hotmail & ...

I used to have things sent to my ...@wanadoo.fr, ...@gmail.com doesn't seem to work. I have another ISP ...@gmx.fr, if that doesn't work you have a major problem, since what you're saying is that at least 3 major ISPs don't work. Both "wanadoo.fr" & "gmx.fr" are very large ISPs in Europe.

What I'm also going to do is try and open another account with you. I'd like to ^point out th 

Sorry got cut off. What I was trying to say was:

I'd like to point out that when I changed my address to either "gmail.com" or "gmx.fr", the forum sent me, at these addresses, an email requesting confirmation of the address change. These emails I received. 

So there is something more going on then a simple "whitelisting". My feeling is there there is somehow a configuration error in your forum software and it's to them to look into the problem.

Richard

1 hour ago, Suzdal said:

Sorry got cut off. What I was trying to say was:

I'd like to point out that when I changed my address to either "gmail.com" or "gmx.fr", the forum sent me, at these addresses, an email requesting confirmation of the address change. These emails I received. 

So there is something more going on then a simple "whitelisting". My feeling is there there is somehow a configuration error in your forum software and it's to them to look into the problem.

Richard

Ok, the problem was how you had your account notifications set, not our software. You only had them set to 'Notification' as you see at top of screen, and not to email too. I've now changed your account setting.

Screenshot 2020-11-15 at 14.20.24.png

5 minutes ago, Suzdal said:

It was on your end (server), but my fault for not configuring correctly. Emails are now coming through. THANK YOU

Richard

haha!! Yes, all your personal settings are on our server 🤣

The same thing's been happening to me since at least September. There were a lot of threads I was following that just - ceased. Prior to that I'd been getting my daily emails no problem.

I've checked the settings and all seems ok. For example - 

I can't see where the problem lies.

Your description of your problem sounds exactly what happened to me. Things working just stopped.

It seems according to James "2" boxes must be checked.

1. A notification when new content is posted.

2. An explicit instruction to deliver it by email

I don't ever remember checking the second one, but it's possible I did. In any case I'm sure that I never unchecked it. James seems to have rechecked it which made things work again, for which I thanked him.

Good luck.

Richard

Edited by Suzdal
8 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

The same thing's been happening to me since at least September. There were a lot of threads I was following that just - ceased. Prior to that I'd been getting my daily emails no problem.

I've checked the settings and all seems ok. For example - 

I can't see where the problem lies.

This was exactly the same problem as Richard (Suzdal).

At the top of your screen, click on your avatar, then click 'Account Settings'.

1.jpg

From here, click on 'Notification Settings'.

2.jpg

Now, make sure the box right at the bottom of this panel is now checked/ticked, where it says 'Email'.

3.jpg

Et voila!

15 minutes ago, Louie da fly said:

That can't be it. I tried doing that and you can't select more than a single option.

Both should be selectable. I just clicked your email and that was it. 

This cured the problem from Suzdal yesterday. You should now be getting your notifications. 

You did try to click the 'Email' under the 'Followed Content' area at bottom of that last screenshot?

• 2 months later...

I had the same problem. I had been receiving email notifications for followed topics and then they all stopped.

I think when you changed the Forum a couple of months ago some of the settings were not carried over. Instead of having "email" selected for notifications only "notification list" (whatever that it) was selected.

I have changed it back to "emails" and I will see if that has any effect.

15 hours ago, Dr PR said:

I think when you changed the Forum a couple of months ago some of the settings were not carried over. Instead of having "email" selected for notifications only "notification list" (whatever that it) was selected.

That sir, is bang on the money!