HMS Fly by Sooty - Amati/Victory Models - 1:64

Question;

Just trying to make the hull fenders along the sides, parts 129 and 130, from the '1.5mm walnut ply' sheet according to the instructions. However, I cannot locate those parts anywhere, on either the actual laser cut sheets or their paper drawings.

I take it that is just a glitch with the model, and that 2mm walnut strip will do just fine?

56 minutes ago, Sooty said:

Question;

Just trying to make the hull fenders along the sides, parts 129 and 130, from the '1.5mm walnut ply' sheet according to the instructions. However, I cannot locate those parts anywhere, on either the actual laser cut sheets or their paper drawings.

I take it that is just a glitch with the model, and that 2mm walnut strip will do just fine?

Hey sooty

found these on right hand side of the 1.5 sheet above rudder fascia piece 3A3744E9-5719-439E-B0B4-CB73DDE6D430.thumb.jpeg.904a27e1915e6e085c6e29c7cc4681d9.jpeg

tim 

Current Build: Amati HMS Fly, First Time Builder, 2020

Boarding steps, fenders and cat heads installed, as well as doing some paint tidying up and highlighting the strakes with ochre. Still a lot of paintwork to sort out, but I like this look much more than she was previously with the decorations.

IMG-20210103-WA0036.jpeg

IMG-20210103-WA0038.jpeg

20210103_202328.jpg

20210103_195235.jpg

20210103_202335.jpg

Edited by Sooty
Forgot the pics!

On 1/4/2021 at 4:14 PM, Meriadoc Brandybuck said:

Looking good Sooty!  I was a bit sad to see the demise of the decor, but now it looks quite convincing in its Napoleonic era garb. 

I had a go at painting the decor around the bow, on the cheeks. Have a look below, half is with PE, the other half is painted. I might strip the PE altogether and paint it all, as I think it looks pretty decent!

Ignore the bit under the top railings, I will sort that out.

IMG-20210105-WA0026.jpeg

A bit more progress today.

I will need to start thinking about installing the gun carriages and tackle, or it will start getting a bit hard to do that soon!

On that note, I just realised the carriages should have been painted red 😂 I think I can sort that out with a fine paintbrush.

I found the wooden pillars for the railings to be a bit out of scale, so I turned some new ones using a file and dowel on my Dremel.

20210105_212759.thumb.jpg.b4a38b72009e3a7b683b16f41a4ed52e.jpg

A few bits of grating, hatch coamings to add, as well as various bits and bobs around the deck. Then, the channels and on to masts and rigging!

20210105_200027.jpg

20210105_195943.jpg

2 hours ago, SpyGlass said:

Really coming along nicely! 

Is it the pic - or is this vessel rudderless??

You are correct, I like to work with the vessel on my lap, so I avoided installing too much sticking out of the sides and bottom of the hull for now.

Besides, a competent Master should be able to steer her just by using the foresails and mizzen 😉

OK, I sorted out my camera and this time got some proper photographs, after some further work and some corrections:

1) I removed the anchor cables, as they were installed over the stopper bits the wrong way. Now I have no rope to work with, so they'll have to wait till I can get some suitable 'rope'.

2) Most of the deck railings are now done.

3) I managed to paint what was visible of the 'covered' gun carriages red, and of course painted red the ones that were not yet installed.

4) I made a 'stove', so now there is at least something black and bulky where one would expect to see a stove!

5) Some more paint touch-ups. It kind of shows that the paint has been touched up several times, but I like that as it is probably exactly how the real thing would have looked after a few months at sea.

6) The bellfry is on, though I should probably weather the bell a little as it looks too bright.

7) I made some very very faint marks for where the countersunk nails (or screws?) would have been on the deck planking.

There is a fair bit of dust on the model, but it should go away with the 'airbrush treatment' and maybe a little brush work. When all is done, I will likely spray a coat of matte acrylic varnish, before I start with any of the masts and rigging, and start to keep the model covered when not working on her.

IMGP0124.thumb.JPG.7f90a712c1f2dc45d13b4ffb34918b47.JPGIMGP0121.thumb.JPG.ae38a079ec671b3aebb0d3158458904b.JPGIMGP0119.thumb.JPG.b8c29b2388271d2e26f6d4c45f8599dd.JPGIMGP0115.thumb.JPG.f64f21d29b0e41490399de70534cf6ed.JPGIMGP0114.thumb.JPG.ad6b11a7b14283e0a86085b645154e1f.JPGIMGP0112.thumb.JPG.64ce259942a95fb236e8486bd0552d87.JPGIMGP0109.thumb.JPG.38745625df3024d843d6c2d5560a1b4c.JPGIMGP0125.thumb.JPG.9a146ae628fad386eff9316333fce3fa.JPG

Really looking good.  You did a great job painting the bow decorations. Took me a few glances to tell what was PE 

Keep up the good work!!  I’m currently putting grating along the bow section. Talk about a test of patience 

tim

1 hour ago, TimC said:

Really looking good.  You did a great job painting the bow decorations. Took me a few glances to tell what was PE 

Keep up the good work!!  I’m currently putting grating along the bow section. Talk about a test of patience 

tim

You mean grating over a curve? 😨 That would be a tough one and Interesting to see, keen to see pics on your blog!

I opted on not grating the bow on the basis that it would be a small area with not much access or much to do there, so I assumed there would not be a platform.

I did have a good go at painting decorations. For the next build, I think I will find pens of the right colour and try working with them. I think there are very fine tip pens with gold ink.

12 hours ago, Sooty said:

I opted on not grating the bow on the basis that it would be a small area with not much access or much to do there, so I assumed there would not be a platform.

I think even smaller ships like the Fly would definitely have a grating at the bow as there are some dealings with the rigging to be accessed here and moreover it's where the heads are..  Quite a busy place, actually.   Wouldn't want the men to get washed away in rough seas while they try to relieve themselves with no platform to hold the heads they're supposed to sit on, as trained seamen are so hard to replace!

In Dafi's novel-length Heller Victory build log he estimated that on a first rate, the heads would likely be busy all the time given the number of men.  I don't know how many heads are on a Swan class sloop but there would be around 124 potential customers at any given time, assuming the captain got his own astern.  Quite an interesting logistical study that helps one understand a bit more of life in Nelson's navy, no?

I'm quite impressed by the look you're achieving so far!

38 minutes ago, Meriadoc Brandybuck said:

I think even smaller ships like the Fly would definitely have a grating at the bow as there are some dealings with the rigging to be accessed here and moreover it's where the heads are..  Quite a busy place, actually.   Wouldn't want the men to get washed away in rough seas while they try to relieve themselves with no platform to hold the heads they're supposed to sit on, as trained seamen are so hard to replace!

In Dafi's novel-length Heller Victory build log he estimated that on a first rate, the heads would likely be busy all the time given the number of men.  I don't know how many heads are on a Swan class sloop but there would be around 124 potential customers at any given time, assuming the captain got his own astern.  Quite an interesting logistical study that helps one understand a bit more of life in Nelson's navy, no?

I'm quite impressed by the look you're achieving so far!

Grating it is then! I take it there would also be some sort of railings, some way of getting down there from the bow's bulwark, and of course the heads! It would be a tight squeeze for the heads' 'products'to clear anchor cables and the cheeks, so I wonder where they were placed. Probably just inboard of the grating's outer edge.

Just as well I will be doing this, as I was itching to do something other than the guns... I left the exposed ones (and -crucially- their rigging) till now, so it is an absolute headache to do them; 4h for 2 of them, and I think I did a sloppy job 😱

PS, I made a quick template. Does this make sense? Relatively flat, hole for the hold-down rigging for the bowsprit, one head either side along the outboard edge (to clear the boat on the way down). My main question here is how would men get up from /down to there? Also, this being such a small boat, most of the time the bows would be pretty wet. On bigger ships, the 'heads' would be much higher, so I wonder if the heads on these were somewhere else?

20210107_193243.jpg

14 hours ago, Sooty said:

You mean grating over a curve? 😨 That would be a tough one and Interesting to see, keen to see pics on your blog!

I did have a good go at painting decorations. For the next build, I think I will find pens of the right colour and try working with them. I think there are very fine tip pens with gold ink.

I used the word grating but I’m not doing the grating as it appears on other parts of the ship.  I think that would be too small to make with my current tools. I modeled mine off of work by BE and DFel and their build logs.  It’s a time consuming process but I think it adds a completeness look to the bow.  I’m not quite finished yet but here’s where I am so far33559118-49E1-4053-B1C2-508D6C53D10B.thumb.jpeg.1e5d92c091fc54800a820fe3851f010c.jpeg365ABE1F-6874-446B-84B6-F8E99D5A11F4.thumb.jpeg.93ebdab5a148c78a6f333272cc876f7f.jpegAB37BD22-8950-4D04-A828-5CC61A784B28.thumb.jpeg.efed3d15ace7b96dce38cb595e99e0d3.jpeg

I used spare pieces from the grating on the hull part of the bow for even spacing. I decided to use walnut on the cross beams because I wanted a little contrast against the lighter wood.  I believe there is a netting or a rail of some sort that should be on the sides but I’m not sure if I will be placing that yet. And I have to work out the position of the boomkins(?) before any of that anyway

1 hour ago, Sooty said:

Grating it is then! I take it there would also be some sort of railings, some way of getting down there from the bow's bulwark, and of course the heads! It would be a tight squeeze for the heads' 'products'to clear anchor cables and the cheeks, so I wonder where they were placed. Probably just inboard of the grating's outer edge.

Just as well I will be doing this, as I was itching to do something other than the guns... I left the exposed ones (and -crucially- their rigging) till now, so it is an absolute headache to do them; 4h for 2 of them, and I think I did a sloppy job 😱

PS, I made a quick template. Does this make sense? Relatively flat, hole for the hold-down rigging for the bowsprit, one head either side along the outboard edge (to clear the boat on the way down). My main question here is how would men get up from /down to there? Also, this being such a small boat, most of the time the bows would be pretty wet. On bigger ships, the 'heads' would be much higher, so I wonder if the heads on these were somewhere else?

20210107_193243.jpg

your template looks good! I can’t see because of the angle but I took care to make sure the ropes that would attach to the bow sprite would be able to pass freely 

Looking forward to seeing more 

tim

1 hour ago, TimC said:

I used the word grating but I’m not doing the grating as it appears on other parts of the ship.  I think that would be too small to make with my current tools. I modeled mine off of work by BE and DFel and their build logs.  It’s a time consuming process but I think it adds a completeness look to the bow.  I’m not quite finished yet but here’s where I am so far33559118-49E1-4053-B1C2-508D6C53D10B.thumb.jpeg.1e5d92c091fc54800a820fe3851f010c.jpeg365ABE1F-6874-446B-84B6-F8E99D5A11F4.thumb.jpeg.93ebdab5a148c78a6f333272cc876f7f.jpegAB37BD22-8950-4D04-A828-5CC61A784B28.thumb.jpeg.efed3d15ace7b96dce38cb595e99e0d3.jpeg

I used spare pieces from the grating on the hull part of the bow for even spacing. I decided to use walnut on the cross beams because I wanted a little contrast against the lighter wood.  I believe there is a netting or a rail of some sort that should be on the sides but I’m not sure if I will be placing that yet. And I have to work out the position of the boomkins(?) before any of that anyway

your template looks good! I can’t see because of the angle but I took care to make sure the ropes that would attach to the bow sprite would be able to pass freely 

Looking forward to seeing more 

tim

That's brilliant Tim, thanks for the photos, good to see it without any clutter around it! I will probably do something similar then.

Still not 100% convinced the heads would be there, as I still think it is too low down to be safe for all the crew visiting a couple of times a day in anything but relatively calm weather. Then again, those were different times and men were being sent 100ft up rope ladders and yards of a rolling and pitching ship with no fall protection 😂

9 minutes ago, Sooty said:

That's brilliant Tim, thanks for the photos, good to see it without any clutter around it! I will probably do something similar then.

Still not 100% convinced the heads would be there, as I still think it is too low down to be safe for all the crew visiting a couple of times a day in anything but relatively calm weather. Then again, those were different times and men were being sent 100ft up rope ladders and yards of a rolling and pitching ship with no fall protection 😂

Glad you find it helpful! 

I understand very little on the history of ships....I more love the beauty and the art aspect of them, but I’m becoming more and more interested in getting things historically accurate.  My first boat I’m using to learn the process as much as possible then I’ll get more concerned with period related accuracies on my end.  Seems like you know a fair bit on the history

as far as the heads, You may be right but I doubt OSHA had a ton of pull back then 🤣😂

11 minutes ago, TimC said:

Glad you find it helpful! 

I understand very little on the history of ships....I more love the beauty and the art aspect of them, but I’m becoming more and more interested in getting things historically accurate.  My first boat I’m using to learn the process as much as possible then I’ll get more concerned with period related accuracies on my end.  Seems like you know a fair bit on the history

as far as the heads, You may be right but I doubt OSHA had a ton of pull back then 🤣😂

That is all related to my problem 😂 I am a Naval Architect by trade, a keen sailor, worked onboard ships for a bit in my earlier years and now work with the oil&gas industry (a pretty risk-conscious sector), so it is hard to lose all the preconceptions I come with regarding risk assessments, the 'How I would do it' and all the expectations I would have from a modern ship 😂 I kind of need to unlearn everything and resist the temptation to do it my way 🤣

The ropes that hold the bowsprit down are called the gammoning.  I say this not to correct anyone or sound like a know-it-all, but I figured having the correct term around would make it easier to talk about.

On heads- idk how many Fly had or where they were on ships this size but traditionally they should be on the beakhead grating.  For smaller ships with no such grating, I don't know what arrangements were made, though as you say OSHA really had very little influence in those days.  There is a motivation for putting them in the front of the ship though and it's the same as why you put the stove up front (forgive me if you know this already):  anything smelly or smoky should go forrard where the wind can take it away as fast as possible.

31 minutes ago, Meriadoc Brandybuck said:

The ropes that hold the bowsprit down are called the gammoning.  I say this not to correct anyone or sound like a know-it-all, but I figured having the correct term around would make it easier to talk about.

On heads- idk how many Fly had or where they were on ships this size but traditionally they should be on the beakhead grating.  For smaller ships with no such grating, I don't know what arrangements were made, though as you say OSHA really had very little influence in those days.  There is a motivation for putting them in the front of the ship though and it's the same as why you put the stove up front (forgive me if you know this already):  anything smelly or smoky should go forrard where the wind can take it away as fast as possible.

It all makes sense, as those were boats which primarily sailed downwind or on a reach at best, e.g. the wind would always be away from the bow, unless riding on the anchor.

Speaking of anchors, any idea how the anchor cable would normally be riding over/around the stopper bits, when the anchor was secured for sailing? I am planning to set up the ship to look like she has just arrived somewhere; one anchor stowed, one anchor hanging from the cathead ready for lowering, the ship's boat being lowered and all but a couple of sails furled.

I am confused as to how the cable would run for the stowed anchor and this is what I had in mind;

20210109_094339.jpg

I think the cable would run outside the bits and wrap up inside the top and ride against the indent.  Must be a reason to have an indent there, I guess.

I can refer you to the Heller HMS Victory build by Dafi, where he goes into unbelievable detail to show the weighing process (but not the dropping process if I recall).  It starts on page 5 and continues to page 6 and possibly further.   His build log is a really good place to go for ideas or entertainment, and might be able to answer your questions.

Link:

38 minutes ago, Meriadoc Brandybuck said:

I think the cable would run outside the bits and wrap up inside the top and ride against the indent.  Must be a reason to have an indent there, I guess.

I can refer you to the Heller HMS Victory build by Dafi, where he goes into unbelievable detail to show the weighing process (but not the dropping process if I recall).  It starts on page 5 and continues to page 6 and possibly further.   His build log is a really good place to go for ideas or entertainment, and might be able to answer your questions.

Link:

Crikey, that really is SOME build! Thanks for the tip!

2 hours ago, Meriadoc Brandybuck said:

I say this not to correct anyone or sound like a know-it-all, but I figured having the correct term around would make it easier to talk about.

I can only speak for myself but feel free to educate on terms as much as you can!  I know almost nothing about nautical/ship terms, but I’m always interested in learning the correct verbiage from those more experienced than myself 

30 minutes ago, TimC said:

I can only speak for myself but feel free to educate on terms as much as you can!  I know almost nothing about nautical/ship terms, but I’m always interested in learning the correct verbiage from those more experienced than myself 

I have done some reading over the years and shabbily put together a few plastic kits- that is all.  My first wooden kit is in the mail as we speak and while I wait for it I'm poking around these build logs and finding out more invaluable insight than I ever thought one site might hold.  Its fun to see how different people build the Fly, for instance.  So many ideas..

53 minutes ago, Meriadoc Brandybuck said:

I have done some reading over the years and shabbily put together a few plastic kits- that is all.  My first wooden kit is in the mail as we speak and while I wait for it I'm poking around these build logs and finding out more invaluable insight than I ever thought one site might hold.  Its fun to see how different people build the Fly, for instance.  So many ideas..

Oooooh! What did you get??

3 hours ago, Meriadoc Brandybuck said:

A secret for now- in a week or two there should be the beginnings of a build log for it, if you want to follow my progress.  I don't want to go into it here since this is your build log after all. :)

I’ll definitely keep an eye out!

• 3 weeks later...

How's the Fly coming along?  I hope all's well.

I started my build log if you want to check it out:

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/27416-revenge-by-meriadoc-brandybuck-occre-185/?tab=comments#comment-789768

It's going well but I'm kind of hoping for some advice, suggestions, or thoughts. 

• 4 weeks later...

I've been very quiet 😂

I have not lost my modelling mojo, nor have I pressed on with the build and not posted about it. Just a major geographical move now being firmly on the cards, so I think it is best to leave the masts off the boat till she is her new (forever) home! All going well, there will be a mantlepiece over a fireplace!

5 hours ago, Sooty said:

I've been very quiet 😂

I have not lost my modelling mojo, nor have I pressed on with the build and not posted about it. Just a major geographical move now being firmly on the cards, so I think it is best to leave the masts off the boat till she is her new (forever) home! All going well, there will be a mantlepiece over a fireplace!

Was wondering where you’ve been!  Best of luck with the move

Tim

9 hours ago, TimC said:

Was wondering where you’ve been!  Best of luck with the move

Tim

It is likely to be July before my Fly can get outside to play again! I can of course keep building all the little pieces and finish the hull and the masts, then just wait till I am settled in before I install them and rig them up. Meantime, I will be watching your build!

• The title was changed to HMS Fly by Sooty - Amati/Victory Models - 1:64