Hello from Glasgow

Colin_C

Hi everyone

I'm essentially brand new to model ship building - 25 years ago I bought Le Hussard by Artesania Latina with zero research and gave up very quickly. I used to paint fantasy miniatures in my teens, but other than that I've not much in the way of 'crafty' skills or experience to draw from.

So I'm starting afresh with a Corel SM55 Ranger American Revenue Cutter 1823 Kit 1/50 which should be arriving soon. It was listed as a beginner kit on the supplier's website, but having read through a couple of the build logs here I'm slightly nervous that it's maybe not the best place to start after all. Hopefully this time though, I'm a little better prepared for what I'm letting myself in for.

I have set up a desk in a corner of the house away from 'helpful' children and my cat's inquisitive paws. I've got a good work lamp, I've bought a bunch of tools half of which I probably won't need, and not bought a bunch of tools I probably will need. I have a copy of Ship Modeling Simplified by Frank Mastini.

I'm expecting to get frustrated by useless instructions and parts that don't fit properly. I'm expecting to make mistakes and break things. I'm expecting to be baffled by terminology and for my first build to be more of a learning experience than a masterpiece. But I have enthusiasm and time and an open mind, and this place looks like an amazing resource, so hopefully that will see me through.

When my kit arrives I'll start a build log. In the meantime I'll learn what I can from all your posts here, and I look forward to engaging with some of you as I progress my build.  Let's see how it goes...☺️

Cheers

Colin

Welcome Colin.

Like you, I started an Artesania Latina kit (Dallas Cutter) 25 yrs ago and got as far as making the hull then gave up. Restarted her this summer and also joined this friendly and very helpful website...and am now pretty much addicted to the hobby.

Looking forward to your SMSS Ranger build log.

Regards,

Richard

Hi Colin, welcome to MSW.

Do take a deep breath.  Use the build logs (both in work and finished) as guides.  When there's questions... ask them.  No such critter as dumb question here.   And lastly, try to have fun as model ship building should be relaxing and not stressful.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to MSW,  have fun  and basically same as what Mark said. 

Enjoy. 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Collin,

welcome to MSW!! Everyone starts some where, as long as you take your time I’m sure your build will turn out great! I’m looking forward to following your build.

Bradley

Current Builds:

Flying Fish - Model Shipways - 1:96

Future Builds:

Young America 1853 - Scratch Build - 1:72

Completed Builds:

HMS Racehorse - Mantua - 1:47 (No pictures unfortunately)

Providence Whale Boat - Artesania Latina - 1:25 (Also no pictures)

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Shelved Builds:

Pride of Baltimore 2 - Model Shipways - 1:64 (Also no pictures)

Welcome Colin! Many more than you have up on their first go. Me included. As has been said, ask lots of questions and have fun. 

Current build: Model Shipways “Confederacy “

Completed builds:

Mamoli “Royal Louis“

Mantua “Royal Caroline”

Scratch 1/4 scale gondola “Philadelphia”

Scratch “Hannah” from Hahn plans. 

Thanks for all the welcome messages folks 🙂

On 11/14/2020 at 7:35 PM, Rik Thistle said:

Welcome Colin.

Like you, I started an Artesania Latina kit (Dallas Cutter) 25 yrs ago and got as far as making the hull then gave up. Restarted her this summer and also joined this friendly and very helpful website...and am now pretty much addicted to the hobby.

I looked through your Dallas Cutter log and I'll be delighted if my Ranger turns out half as good as that. Must've been very satisfying to have picked it up and completed it after all those years!

On 11/14/2020 at 7:37 PM, Jim Lad said:

Hello Colin, and a warm welcome to the forum from 'Down Under'.

I know 'Down Under' well, or at least your part of it. Lived in Sydney (Manly, Coogee, Surry Hills, Darlinghurst) for about 4 years. I miss it dearly and the friends I made down there.

On 11/14/2020 at 9:18 PM, mtaylor said:

Hi Colin, welcome to MSW.

Do take a deep breath.  Use the build logs (both in work and finished) as guides.  When there's questions... ask them.  No such critter as dumb question here.   And lastly, try to have fun as model ship building should be relaxing and not stressful.

Advice noted....breathe....😄

On 11/14/2020 at 9:47 PM, druxey said:

Welcome, Colin! I believe that you have a rather nice maritime museum up your way....

Yes, the one in Dumbarton is only half an hour away. I confess to having never visited but it's now on my to do list for when virus restrictions are lifted. 

Well, I'm looking forward to getting started. Funnily enough, as I was typing this I got a message from the courier to say my kit will be delivered tomorrow...

Hi Colin,

Must've been very satisfying to have picked it up and completed it after all those years!

You've hit the nail on the head. Dallas had been nagging me for 25yrs to finish her ...every time I went in to the attic I could feel her looking at me.

On top of that I have a friend who bought a similar kit at the same time and we had planned to see the kits through to completion. My friend finished his about 15yrs after first buying the kit giving him bragging rights.

So a number of things pushed me towards completing Dallas...the constant nagging feeling, letting my friend down and the pandemic lockdown.

On top of all that I've always enjoyed 'making things' and learning new skills. And I think that is something I have in common with the members here, if not their skills and experience.

This is a multi-faceted hobby ie making things, learning skills, working with materials, learning the history and culture of the vessel (a very big aspect as I'm beginning to realise), sharing thoughts/info with folks on here, research, setting your own pace, visiting museums and ships, reading books on the subject...OK, a looong list of pluses.

Negatives?...well there is a strong impulse to buy new tools and machines, stock up on kits (for a rainy day)...and basically just spend money on things you want...actually, these are probably all pluses!

That's enough rambling from me. Here's a good thread for future reference on kits to buy as you progress... https://modelshipworld.com/topic/18657-new-to-ship-modelling-but-what-do-you-build-first/

And/or just wander this website looking for projects that catch your eye.

Your Revenue Cutter will give you many hours of concentration and enjoyment. Looking forward to the Build!

Regards,

Richard

On 11/15/2020 at 5:05 AM, Colin_C said:

I'm expecting to get frustrated by useless instructions and parts that don't fit properly. I'm expecting to make mistakes and break things. I'm expecting to be baffled by terminology and for my first build to be more of a learning experience than a masterpiece. But I have enthusiasm and time and an open mind, and this place looks like an amazing resource, so hopefully that will see me through.

In which case you're well on the way, with an attitude that will serve you well when you do hit the inevitable problems/stuff-ups.

I also lived in Coogee (north end, up the hill from the beach) and Darlo (officially Paddo - it was just the other side of Boundary St, so supposedly more prestigious).

You may already know, but I'll add it just in case - here are the instructions for starting a build log. https://modelshipworld.com/topic/24705-before-you-post-your-build-log-please-read-this-starting-and-naming-your-build-log/

Welcome to MSW!