Enzo Ferrari by CDW - FINISHED - Tamiya 1:24 Scale

CDW

Nice to know I was right for once about something I knew nothing about. Doesn't happen all that often anymore. At least that is what my wife says to me. Didn't think of looking it up on Wikipedia.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

The F-1 Gearbox has been around since '89, and the 150 msec shift time is a ten year old specification, they are even faster today using dual shift to keep the power on completely throughout the shift, testing has showed that it is worth .3 seconds a lap faster time.....  They are 8 speeds not counting reverse and are being built in carbon fibre or CF backed metal.....

How they go about getting to constant power output through a shift are closely held race team secrets.... (double clutches would be the obvious choice to do this but are banned in F1)

Technology marches on.... How many out there realize that most passenger cars today feature 7 speed automatic transmissions? Most Semi Trucks use 8 speed allison automatics? To get a manual shift truck today from a manufacturer you have to request it, it's special order....

One more example where racing advances the engineering of our everyday car...

Here, everything you could could want to know about the current state of F-1 Transmissions.....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

the chassis looks awesome.......and the interior looks superb as well......very nice! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Gorgeous.  I've always appreciated models that respect the vehicle and the modeler by including details and subassemblies only someone experiencing the 1:1 or the modeler would know about. 

Amos

Current Build: Occre Essex Whaler (1/60)

Past builds: Amati Coca (1/60, 1st static ship) Little Shelley Foss (1/45) * Dumas Jenny Lee (1/32)* Dumas Painted Racer (1/8)* Dumas Ace Sloop

Just now, Clark Griswold said:

Gorgeous.  I've always appreciated models that respect the vehicle and the modeler by including details and subassemblies only someone experiencing the 1:1 or the modeler would know about. 

Thanks Amos. Hope you are enjoying the build thread as much as I am in building the model. Tamiya has engineered a high quality model here.

Before the body panels are painted, they have been positioned for a dry fit. Everything looks like it's going to go together as smooth as silk.

Happy Thanksgiving to my American friends.

IMG_1115.thumb.jpg.4457cec57a6138936d39439c0ee013f5.jpgIMG_1116.thumb.jpg.1bfe348addf025189c8905a73314c5fb.jpgIMG_1117.thumb.jpg.7a666ddc4a9d2c99a10211ba93c94d30.jpg

Looking sharp, Craig. And a Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Looks like you had a good turkey day surrounded by all the right people Craig. Thanks for sharing.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Seven cooks. Waahoo, buddy. Bet the grub was good.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

good you had a great day........more glad that you all are safe

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Got some painting on the body done today after some primer last night. Not much to show for photos yet. White primer and yellow paint. Once I get the clear laid on and the undersides painted semi gloss black, will take some photos. The primer is Tamiya white lacquer, the paint is a lacquer giallo modena. Clear will be Mr Color gloss lacquer.

13 minutes ago, CDW said:

Got some painting on the body done today after some primer last night. Not much to show for photos yet. White primer and yellow paint. Once I get the clear laid on and the undersides painted semi gloss black, will take some photos. The primer is Tamiya white lacquer, the paint is a lacquer giallo modena. Clear will be Mr Color gloss lacquer.

Sounds like a plan mate  - she is looking Superb   a great modeler and a fine kit  coming together.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

1 hour ago, CDW said:

The primer is Tamiya white lacquer, the paint is a lacquer giallo modena. Clear will be Mr Color gloss lacquer.

That should glisten like a diamond....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

I'll be patient.  I can't wait to see how the paint comes out.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

That is certainly yellow all right. LOVE it. maybe they should have used this car in the last Transformer movie for Bumblebee.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

You got a great sheen on the paint work, personally I think the yellow is fantastic 🙂

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Great paint. You should do a Corvette C6 racer. Similar yellow.

Ken

43 minutes ago, Canute said:

Great paint. You should do a Corvette C6 racer. Similar yellow.

I have the Corvette C6 in the queue.

6 hours ago, fnick said:

Have to admit I'm not a big fan of yellow as a car colour but just this once I'll change my mind!😀

Very well done. 

Nick

A good friend painted all his race cars in yellow, a trade mark for him. He was killed while racing his sprint car 30 years ago. I have always loved yellow race cars.

7 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

You got a great sheen on the paint work, personally I think the yellow is fantastic 🙂

Thanks Edward. I want to find a retarder that's suitable for Mr Color clear lacquer. It dries a little too quickly for my liking and could be better. There's a real fine line between too much and too little drying time for clear coats. Too fast causes orange peel. Too slow causes runs. Have to find that happy spot.

Looking really nice  -  it just looks so sharp   - you know that look when everything  fits perfectly.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

3 hours ago, CDW said:

Too fast causes orange peel. Too slow causes runs. Have to find that happy spot.

That's the one thing about Mr Color Clear Lacquers, finding just the right mix..... I've seen a lot of people have great success with 2K and 4K automotive diamond finishes though, if you don't mind dealing with automotive products...

The yellow paint look fabulous my friend, a real show stopper.....

Quote:

2 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Looking really nice  -  it just looks so sharp   - you know that look when everything  fits perfectly.

OC.

28 minutes ago, Egilman said:

That's the one thing about Mr Color Clear Lacquers, finding just the right mix..... I've seen a lot of people have great success with 2K and 4K automotive diamond finishes though, if you don't mind dealing with automotive products...

The yellow paint look fabulous my friend, a real show stopper.....

Thanks gentlemen. 

My local airbrush/paint supplier used to carry the 2K Diamond clear paint system in a convenient hobby-size amount with a no-name label. They have been unable to restock it lately. Maybe because of Covid, I don't know. Unfortunately, my remaining bottles went bad, prematurely hardening inside the bottle. I have another automotive 2-part clear system I bought but have not tested it yet and didn't want to chance it on a good model. Will test it on something junk, first. 

I mixed my clear about 50-50 with leveling thinner, but It needs more thinner next time. Probably 60% or more to really get it to level itself.

Just an FYI...

Seems the "sweet spot" for reducing the Mr Color clear lacquer for the airbrush is 30% clear to 70% reducer. 50% just isn't enough. At 70% reducer, the clear goes down beautifully. You'll see in the next post with photos, probably tomorrow.

In these photos, I have painted the undersides of the body panels with semi-gloss black, then wet sanded the body in preparation for the next coat of clear (which I've already done but am not ready to handle yet for photos).

IMG_1160.thumb.jpg.f5c8381b51038a04cb9be6a57365d33e.jpgIMG_1161.thumb.jpg.d224610fc79360058412005768f50919.jpgIMG_1157.thumb.jpg.5c3e1a613dd579cb77087714fe42751a.jpgIMG_1158.thumb.jpg.3696c9c82b37a9eb94e8c4f40dfd5fa2.jpgIMG_1159.thumb.jpg.c416cbde52fb997a6b170f8ada19fc8e.jpg

Edited by CDW