Good day to you all!

CW_Tom

Greetings!

My name is Tom and I hail from central North Dakota, USA. As seems to be common among this thread, I too am a beginner ship modeler. I will be starting a build log on my new/current project, scratch building the nuclear fast attack submarine USS Tinosa, SSN 606. My dad served on her as a sonarman in the mid 70’s. 

I’m a 35 year old family man, helicopter aviator, and currently reading through a couple books, Patrick O’Brians “Master and Commander” and “The Line Upon a Wind: The Great War at Sea 1793-1815” by Noel Mostert.  I found my way here by trying to self educate on terminology and construction of sail powered men-of-war. 

Im looking forward to getting to know you all and am eager to learn and broaden my understanding of sailing ships and modeling through conversations here.  (One of these days, I plan to get into something that involves rigging😉). 

Best Regards,

Tom

Edited by CW_Tom

Current Build:

USS Tinosa (SSN 606) Fast Attack Submarine - Scratchbuild

welcome to Model Ship World!  will be looking forward to following your build log

John

future build: to finish Mary Rose

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8507-mary-rose-by-tarbrush-scale-172-1545/?hl=%2Bmary+%2Brose

completed builds:  Constructo Steam Launch Louise

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome to MSW!  Regarding learning the rigging, you'll soon learn as you start doing it!  To look at a square rigged vessel it can seem terribly complex but the reality is that it is quite logical.  And good instructions for rigging a model should show the lead of each line from the point it controls down to the relevant belaying pin at deck level.  Patience is a necessary attribute too!  I am sure you'll enjoy the process.  

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to Model Ship World Tom.  You have come to the right place to learn and broaden your understanding of sailing ships and modeling.  It looks like you are off to a good start on your USS Tinosa and we a glad you have started a build log on this sub.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Hi Tom,

Welcome aboard!    I wonder if you are our first helicopter pilot/aviator!!   Would love to hear more about that as our youngest son flew Blackhawks for 22 years before retiring.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

11 hours ago, allanyed said:

Hi Tom,

Welcome aboard!    I wonder if you are our first helicopter pilot/aviator!!   Would love to hear more about that as our youngest son flew Blackhawks for 22 years before retiring.

Allan

I know of one or two former combat pilots (Vietnam era)  here and also several others (besides myself) that were crew members during that same time.  I'm sure that there's others but have forgotten.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome aboard Tom.

Outside of the Skipjacks I have never been much of a fan of SSNs as a personal build. But I am certain that I will enjoy following your build log, especially if you include any insights your dad may have passed on to you about serving on them, "Back in the day." To me that is what really can make a model come alive.

As Mark has already said, there are a couple of former rotor heads here that have followed the "Who needs wings?" credo at some point. Plus a couple who insist that flying under 500 KN in a buttoned up flaming tin can is not really flying. You should fit in easily.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Thank you Mike, and thank you all for the warm welcome.  I'm excited, seeing how diverse everyone is here, location wise at least.  I must admit, I haven't had a lot of personal interaction with Australians.  As far as other nationalities, my flight instructor for helicopters was English, and had served in the Royal Army.  We had a some good laughs in the cockpit and he had a few good stories to tell.  He was good help in finding the local restaurants that served up a decent Fish-n'-Chips with good beverages to boot.

Current Build:

USS Tinosa (SSN 606) Fast Attack Submarine - Scratchbuild

Hmm... Lou and myself were chopper crews in 'Nam.  He in US Army Huey's and I in US Marine CH-5's.  Another member (Canute) was an F4 front seat guy.   I know there others but not remembering who.  

I'll add, I was qualified as an Avionics Test Pilot... no pilot's wings but I got to fly in the cockpit and participate in the testing.  Flying backward isn't for sissies.  Had a couple of amusing mishaps related to doing that.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: