B5N2-"Kate"-Nichimo 1/48-Finished

Javlin

I thought I document this build a little 1/48 does not usually lend me to this but it does have  some bits inside and being a Nichimo kit.I have already started quite aggressively this evening with the paint and placement of some parts Lots to pic out on the sidewalls.I find Nichimo AC kits in between Hase and Tamy  with more pit detail than Hase but not quite fit overall of Hase/Tamy but they build up quite well.I have like four schemes and ordnance's (3) layout to choose from leaning torpedo.

finished 007.JPG

finished 006.JPG

finished 005.JPG

Edited by Javlin

Were I am tonight I was going to put some left over belts but you just do not see that much through that small opening.I think in hindsight and future builds I will use a silver or white pencil for the wiring when its molded in like this over painting.I will be more concerned with the outward aesthetic qualities of the build over the interior that one can barely see.Thks for looking ;)

finished 001.JPG

finished 004.JPG

finished 005.JPG

finished 006.JPG

look'in good ! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thks Denis been working the seams of the fuse this morning and got the tailplanes on all before the turkey hit the oven.The families alternate on were TG and Christmas are held each year TG at my house and it is full 16 for dinner and whoever follows like nephews mainly with there GF and families visit afterwards full day bird hits the oven in 1hr.

The wings and tailplanes are attached I had to use some .020 plastic strip on the right wing for the gap filler for both wings.The idea situation would of been two .010 strips but I figure nobody will see a .010 offset of the fuselage all looks good.The bottom were the lower wing meets the fuse I built steps under the fuse so the wing does not sink to much came out better than the Tamy Zero.She is on the fast track and the foil needs to come off the bird.Happy Thanksgiving everyone!! ;)

finished 001.JPG

finished 002.JPG

finished 003.JPG

I laid down black Alclad primer which is flat and then some Polished Aluminum which it does look like for the reason of the flat black that's all okay.I am about to paint the IJn Light Grey on the bottom and start the camo upstairs.The camo states small blotches of green and brown but not over what? was it silver or grey? any ideas out there?

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

3 hours ago, Javlin said:

I am about to paint the IJn Light Grey on the bottom and start the camo upstairs.The camo states small blotches of green and brown but not over what? was it silver or grey? any ideas out there?

They came from the factory in overall light grey....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

6 minutes ago, Egilman said:

They came from the factory in overall light grey....

I read that if still in grey they were blotched over but what I found if to be believed was the A/C of  Zuikaku carrier. Pearl Harbor Attack, On 7th December 1941 were the standard Army Green over Grey according to Wings Pallete  http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/b/1035/65/7..

Now could EII-308 of not got a repaint possible but I highly doubt would not be my first encounter with a false paint scheme happened on the Trump Spit "Lima Challenger" with my first scheme that's how I arrived to Lima.Thanks for the input though thought I was alone in here :P ;) Kevin

Nicely done Kevin!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I was gonna say..........yea,  the under belly should be a gray!   what you did there looks perfect ;)   jeeze.......there's no need to weather.   any real camo effects would be on the overhead plane,  and not on the underbelly.  you have a nice balance of soot and discoloration :) 

looks great so far!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

well calling this one finished ......The torpedo would not fit so I went with the 800kg bomb.The acrylic is a hard paint was giving me problems with scraping just left a few marks on the L/wing.I like Nichimo even for an old kit they have some nice details on there engravings the interior on this was so-so they have done better. I really was looking to do the box art in triple colors but seeing every other plane except one maybe a flight leader all had this scheme only seemed right to follow suit.What next? I am going to have to look around maybe something out of cache#2 WWI quick builds when I want soething more it's 1/32.

finished 002.JPG

finished 003.JPG

finished 004.JPG

I do like these aircraft, a lovely Kate, its getting me itching 😁 great job!!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Great job as always Kevin.  That green paint job is stunning.  I haven't been as enamored with the Japanese planes because of the green, but after seeing your build it's growing on me.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

really nice....love the mottled green :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

6 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Great job as always Kevin.  That green paint job is stunning.  I haven't been as enamored with the Japanese planes because of the green, but after seeing your build it's growing on me.

I was the same way Mike in the beginning but alot of the ships and planes they built the lines are just to nice.;)

Very nicely done.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

4 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

Very Nice!

Is this the plane that sunk the Arizona?  It is my understanding that she exploded from one or more bombs made from armor piercing shells and dropped from high altitude bombers; not from dive bombers.

And you would be correct. She was hit by 4 bombs, 2-250kg bombs which did superficial damage, and two of the specials, 14" naval armor piercing rounds converted to bombs... One struck amidships and failed to explode and of course the other, (which glanced off the glasis plate of Turret #2 and penetrated to the magazine where the powder bags for the 16" guns were stored) destroyed the ship....

The bomb itself didn't cause the explosion, but created the situation for it to happen..... The damage it caused set fire to a ready-ammo locker outside the magazine wall, the blast effect also caused the wall to fracture and rupture some of the bags inside.... The fire reached the loose powder from the bags which started to burn and the magazine acted just like the breech of a gun concentrating the powder fire. which exploded with enough force to blow out all the athwart ship bulkheads back to the conning tower causing the forward decks to collapse upon themselves, and setting everything aboard in the damaged area on fire. 

The USS Vestal was also hit by two of the specials, they both went clean through the ship exiting the bottom where only one exploded bursting some seams causing her to list. She cut herself loose and moved away from the burning Arizona eventually needing to be beached to prevent sinking.... 

And yes, It was a flight of 6 I believe and that is how the aircraft were painted....

A beautiful job by the way........

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

On 12/5/2020 at 1:52 PM, Roger Pellett said:

Very Nice!

Is this the plane that sunk the Arizona?  It is my understanding that she exploded from one or more bombs made from armor piercing shells and dropped from high altitude bombers; not from dive bombers.

I do not know if this plane was in on that but the box art says she carried a torpedo and a different paint scheme to which I did not believe.I forsaked the torpedo because she would not fit under the plane with the wheels on Tailfins!so I went with the bomb.The next plane to hit the table is an easy one(old tooling) KI-43 Oscar Hasegawa 1/32 already started and will update later tonight/tomorrow.Thanks for looking in fellas.;) Kevin

Edited by Javlin