Hawker Hurricane Mk IIc by Lt. Biggles - Hasegawa - 1/48

8 hours ago, Canute said:

the bar was off limits for my squadron at various times

Obviously just like us door gunner types, just a bunch of heathens not suitable for more refined company. :D:36:

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

20 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Obviously just like us door gunner types, just a bunch of heathens not suitable for more refined company. :D:36:

Well, yeah..  we didn't hang our pinky out in the breeze when sipping our beverage nor was the language suitable for the refined gentlepersons.   I guess we were, at times, shall we say "total jackasses", but it was fun and good way to blow off steam.

And then there was "beer night at home" sitting on the hootch roof with cold ones and watching the flares, etc. from various things going on in the bush. We'd end up rolling the empty ones down the roof and when done, we'd roll ourselves down the roof and land on the bunker.  

:champagne-2:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

No, more like they wanted y'all "stone cold sober" and not hung over around all that heavy artillary you were packing! 😃😃😃😃

Seems everyone has found a seat! Hope you are comfortable...

I also have made a few potato cannons and had a friend that used one to cast out his fishing line. They were good fun.

Today the Tamiya paints arrived. Did lots of research and slowly my paint choices changed. Here is how my search went as I progressed.

A459DF49-6B6F-496D-B0BE-6D1026800D7D.thumb.jpeg.1757a4e16c8f5e5aa02fcbeb955f9b53.jpeg

Of course every place had an idea that was correct until the next page had a totally different idea on the correct colours! Typical! So here is my selection, I’ve so many grey shades now I can adjust as needed.

76A08403-F01E-4A1E-9E86-19D238C1FA7C.thumb.jpeg.12bc4d380e4a600f8284c9d0e47c8d30.jpeg

Done a lot of research and have learnt a lot. During WW2 NZ had the highest casualty rate of any nation in the commonwealth, with a population under 2 million, one out of every 150 New Zealanders died in the war. 

There were a few RNZAF squadrons operating under the RAF umbrella. But for now will just mention these bits of info about NZ squadrons based in the European theatre. 

485 squadron: John Houlton from Christchurch while flying a spitfire MkIX is credited with shooting down the first plane during D-Day. 

486 squadron: Started as a night fighters and moved to ground attack in Hurricanes (they flew Mk IIc later on also, so one of these planes will be my build I suspect) then upgraded to Typhoons and then Tempests and credited with downing 223 V1 doodlebugs.

487 squadron: Operation Jericho, where kiwis flew Mosquitoes low level to Amiens, France and did precision bombing to make holes in a Gestapo Prison wall so members of the French resistance could escape.

Les Munro was a kiwi pilot in the RAF, he was actually born here in my city unfortunately he didn’t fly a hurricane Mk IIc otherwise would have been perfect!! Instead was apart of 617 squadron and flew a Lancaster bomber for the Dambusters mission. 

So a few flying kiwis about and hopefully soon I’ll have found the aircraft I will base my build off.

Looks like you have been doing some homework LT. Hopefully you will be able to narrow down the actual plane/pilot of choice without too much more strain. It can be pretty easy to get sucked into the endless chasm of research and loose track of why you are doing the research in the first place.

As an example, I was brushing up on my history surrounding the USS Houston in the opening months of WWII. I already knew much of the story from books I read many years ago. But I was able to locate a number of books that were not available years ago and bought them all! Now  I am not only still reading Houston stuff as I find it, but have branched out into books relating to the Marblehead, HMAS Perth, and USS John D. Ford, one of the few ships to survive the Java Sea battles of 1941-42. I am now finding that I would like to build all three ships! NOT what I intended when I started the research.

Looking forward to your build though and what you come up with.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

8 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Marblehead, HMAS Perth, and USS John D. Ford, one of the few ships to survive the Java Sea battles of 1941-42.

Excellent subjects my friend.... That is also a period of WWII that is seldom modeled....

Can't forget the USS Langley brother, she was the first aircraft carrier in the US Navy, and the first one lost to the Japanese in WWII... (although she had been converted to a seaplane carrier/tender by the time she was assigned to the asiatic squadron).....

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

1 hour ago, Egilman said:

USS Langley

Like most of the ships lost in trying to save the Dutch East Indies the loss of the Langley was totally unnecessary. If not for confusing orders and stupid delays she would have probably gotten in and delivered her P-40s and been out of harms way in plenty of time. There is even a small chance, (VERY SMALL) that the P-40s could have been made ready in time to make a small effect on the Japanese advance. The wrong man was put in charge of the DEI theater and almost all of the assets in the theater suffered because of it.

Unfortunately for modeling purposes, the half deck hybrid nature of the Langley at this point in her life does not really appeal to me aesthetically.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Speaking  of the Dutch East Indies and who was involved. There was Noel Sharp who early on flew a Bruster Buffalo in RNZAF 488 squadron. he was credited with three kills and two damaged Japanese aircraft. His Buffalo was destroyed on the ground in South Sumatra and he switched to flying a Hurricane in the RAF 605 squadron.  He was killed over Java in 20 February 1942, the same date as the Battle of Badung Straight. He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross in 1946.

The RNZAF 488 squadron operated the Hurricane MK 2b in January and February of 1942. The RAF 605 Squadron operated MK 1, MK2a, and 2bs from August 1939 until March 1942.

I am sure there are more Kiwi pilot stories out of this theater but to be honest it is not an area i have really researched. 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

On 11/24/2020 at 10:05 PM, lmagna said:

Speaking  of the Dutch East Indies and who was involved. There was Noel Sharp who early on flew a Bruster Buffalo in RNZAF 488 squadron. he was credited with three kills and two damaged Japanese aircraft. His Buffalo was destroyed on the ground in South Sumatra and he switched to flying a Hurricane in the RAF 605 squadron.  He was killed over Java in 20 February 1942, the same date as the Battle of Badung Straight. He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross in 1946.

The RNZAF 488 squadron operated the Hurricane MK 2b in January and February of 1942. The RAF 605 Squadron operated MK 1, MK2a, and 2bs from August 1939 until March 1942.

I am sure there are more Kiwi pilot stories out of this theater but to be honest it is not an area i have really researched. 

Thanks for that. I think a few kiwis flew the hurricane Mk II in the Pacific theatre. I’ve not done much research and some times you have to get proper serious or you get nowhere at all. Seeing I’ll only be loosely basing my build of what I find I’ll not investigate too much but I have learnt a lot.

The kit has arrived. I’m in a busy spell so it will have to wait till I can get to her.

626E2CE6-D55D-4454-A88E-7232AC52C185.thumb.jpeg.28a0a0b537d33d41b9efdabce8611943.jpeg

it has some extra decals for night fighters and mask for the canopy which I’ve never seen or tried before. And the seatbelt is on the way from the manufacturer. After some looking up it seems they were the best company for seatbelts.

seems the cockpit will be first made and it’s always an odd part as you can put so much work in and then close it up and it’s gone...

anyway enjoy your day and I’ll be back with more shortly

look'in forward to the start!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

So it begun.

will be a slow start but the journey has at least started!

FEEA9FF0-D332-4D10-B279-C66AA11217D2.thumb.jpeg.1749a08d2dcc311e61f4ef41a499bf28.jpeg

im quite impressed with the cockpit detail. Had low expectations. From reading reviews on other build logs it seems they got aftermarket cockpits but found nothing could be seen so recommend a seatbelt (which I e ordered) and stock cockpit is fine. So I’m googling all the hurricane cockpit pictures I can find. Instruments are a bare minimum but I guess they didn’t need much for what they were doing. But hats off to them navigating! My first 1000 hours flying was with a map and it can be rather stressful so surviving a fight for your life to then have to work out where you are to get home is something you don’t really think about! No “direct to” button on their GPS!

also taking others advice stock cockpit and instead external details so ordered some model master 20mm brass cannons and from Oldmodel decals I ordered a set of 486 squadron decals. They are a NZ company that do all NZ past and present decals for every squadron and their aircraft. So from that I can just pick the plane and SA is the prefix for the kiwi hurricanes in 486 squadron and L seems to have been one of the few MkIIc versions so leaning there at this stage. So progress there.

Been awhile since I last did a cockpit so I’ll be able to have my first time weathering and all that as when I last did a plane I didn’t have paint at all.

28796C45-9876-4503-B0BD-6E85CF5FF8A0.thumb.jpeg.ae4982d84db798e0ddcf0d5e8f8f2d8b.jpeg

im using pictures of a mkIIc that’s been preserved as there is no way to know how individual planes were painted as far as I know.

99FEF067-36B9-4794-8C37-6BA0D34847E5.thumb.jpeg.d738123a83d63de172ecc3dc518baf1a.jpeg

learnt silver is awful to airbrush and know never to try it again haha

EA227D85-37AD-4F47-8C9C-1799266DD4AE.thumb.jpeg.49f38c881290518dd084cbfbad431864.jpeg

A41C4EEE-6ED0-4503-8B02-96ADF3FA637B.thumb.jpeg.5bf57c99ce8c9d536ade23622a74746e.jpeg

rough base coat on and details and weathering to do.

Have the day off today so able to do some more painting.

Wasn’t happy with the chunky rudder peddle flaps.

06E16709-6799-4A8C-9CF7-C5C1D9B5EC2B.jpeg.c2fc92ed9e54ffb21604496102360cb3.jpeg

so cut cut them off and made some thinner ones.

7B910BD3-58CF-4358-81A9-6B6C66E79FA5.jpeg.733473124764fd722a3a811747faf3fe.jpeg

also did more on the frames, won’t add any more detail as it won’t be seen but what it’s got which is really good for what I was expecting I’m just experimenting with different techniques.

6CAB41E5-66E2-48FD-BAEB-ED07FC9F2486.thumb.jpeg.5c14657603c5b19f1220f183a4b111fe.jpeg

metallic colors are hard to run through an airbrush......I find that they need to be thinned down a bit more than regular colors.   I usually go with a flat steel instead of silver because most war time aircraft are mostly void of aspects that glitter in the sun.   although,  the use of aluminum and unpainted fuselages {like some bombers and fighters like the P 51} don't follow that rule.  flats and semi gloss are usually the best paints to use.  that is some nice detail...glad to see your on your journey :) 

nice adjustment to the pedals ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

4 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

metallic colors are hard to run through an airbrush......I find that they need to be thinned down a bit more than regular colors.   I usually go with a flat steel instead of silver because most war time aircraft are mostly void of aspects that glitter in the sun.   although,  the use of aluminum and unpainted fuselages {like some bombers and fighters like the P 51} don't follow that rule.  flats and semi gloss are usually the best paints to use.  that is some nice detail...glad to see your on your journey :) 

nice adjustment to the pedals ;) 

Yea I noticed it needed a heap more thinner and the pigment seemed really chunky! Didn’t take long to switch to different shades of greys. I never even thought to see if there was a flat steel haha.

Been working on the instrument panel. There is a decal but the panel has raised details so I think you ether sand it flat and add the decal or hand paint the details. Can’t see a decal over raised details working very well at all from past experiences even with the decal solution that helps it melt to the shape so I’ll give hand painting a go

On my ship build I’ve finished painting all the crew and the last bit left is finishing off the white water which seems to be the hardest part for me to get looking right but as I experiment with that I’ve been chipping away on the cockpit. Everything is stock out of the box and I’m just waiting on the seatbelt to finish  it off.

DD2F651D-BF5C-462D-84F6-2DDAA644A31A.thumb.jpeg.fd148d29084b3e857ccb9f96e3554990.jpeg

8DE85EF9-AE2F-4DB1-84E8-731C6427672C.thumb.jpeg.e3fcc3282a66b9b8abb3ea2696b73e52.jpeg

I’ve pushed the control column forward abit as from pics it seems the elevators hang down... I’m assuming whenever the control lock hasn’t been put in. Not sure how the Hurricane worked in this way. But I’ll droop the elevators just a bit as it’s about 50/50 straight or not. Just more work for me haha

Now that is looking Very nice  - its a very convincing cockpit indeed.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

For being stock that is a pretty well detailed cockpit. At least when you do it! I wonder what it would look like if you had added aftermarket?

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Thanks,

I think if it was a full aftermarket cockpit the detail would be crazy! Might have learnt enough for the ground work side of a type rating to be complete! Learnt enough just doing this stock one!

It’s a shame everything then gets closed up and almost becomes invisible. So here are the two side walls seeing they will be pretty much lost.

71DAF74D-2E8D-4228-8E55-DB8CD4BA28C6.jpeg.460073708de77a32ecb318884a4cdcae.jpeg

907E9C63-F114-43F0-BA91-83343B56537C.jpeg.9e474f318874815b85c80b220533568f.jpeg

Also on the rudder added a rod for the actuators rather than the solid block.

D572851C-FF5F-4C89-B4D6-5D0683D496B8.thumb.jpeg.8d901abf67698a206cb71faba7e2df8a.jpeg

BBC0B60E-5704-4A23-8255-865790206A6D.thumb.jpeg.d765a19c52170c014da5cedd6acf5d77.jpeg

subtle changes 

Edited by Lt. Biggles
Awful spelling!

59 minutes ago, Lt. Biggles said:

subtle changes 

It's those subtle changes that take a model from being very good to masterpiece.....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Is there a special site that has all the aftermarket parts for each model?

Landlubber Mike has got me wondering what bits are available even not for this build but for a possible next... 

Id like to have an open cockpit for this build but the kit one is too thick and cast closed. But any google searches just brings drips and drabs of available parts and for all the hurricanes not just my particular brand. Maybe there is a one stop info page with what’s out there that I’ve been kept in the dark about. I see Aires talked about a lot.

1 hour ago, Lt. Biggles said:

The first place I always like to look is Scalemates. If you just enter the name of the ship or aircraft you will normally get everything that has been on the market from sometimes as far back as the 50s and the kit history showing who bought it or modified it and the year. Not always inclusive but almost always helpful.

Then if you enter the actual model you want or have it will often have reviews and aftermarket listings with where to buy them and even research books and walk arounds of the real item.

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=All&q=hawker+hurricane*

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hasegawa-09051-hurricane-mkiic--152852

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, Lt. Biggles said:

Landlubber Mike has got me wondering what bits are available even not for this build but for a possible next... 

Id like to have an open cockpit for this build but the kit one is too thick and cast closed. But any google searches just brings drips and drabs of available parts and for all the hurricanes not just my particular brand. Maybe there is a one stop info page with what’s out there that I’ve been kept in the dark about. I see Aires talked about a lot.

This site might be of use to you  have a look  they do have update sets  for your Hurricane in there   -

OC.

http://www.relishmodels.co.uk/index.php?target=products&mode=search&subcats=Y&type=extended&avail=Y&pshort=N&pfull=N&pname=Y&pkeywords=Y&cid=0&match=all&q=Hurricane&x=8&y=6

Current builds  

Completed works.

Or as Lou said above, thats another good reference for most things.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

It looks like in this case OCs link has more resources. Like I said, Scalemates is just a start I like to use. 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I use all three methods, the first two don't have everything available although they do have good general coverage of most stuff. another option is to become a member of many modeling sites and ask the membership if they have any suggestions.... I've found a number of out of production gems that way....

Researching aftermarket products is almost like doing historical research simply cause there is now so much out there....

Quote:

Hi, @Lt. Biggles, for searching aftermarket parts, try to visit 'Scalemates.com'. It is a huge data base of virtually all kits in circulation. You search for a specific kit, f.i. 'Hurricane Airfix 1/48' and you get all the kits built of this type and at the end all decals and parts associated to it.

Good luck,

Dan.

PS. Sorry, I have just seen that Scalemates was already suggested above!

Edited by Danstream

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart