HMS Kent F78 by RGL - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/350 - PLASTIC - Type 23 Frigate

So part 2 of the HMS Kent build. The modern one. It won’t be in its most current configuration as the Radar is not available. The Infini upgrade set is as usual absolutely excellent. 

tje nice thing about a modern ship is there is a lot of photos open source on Facebook. 

009DFE04-0427-480C-A539-79EB5B2F3C22.jpeg

42D35E5F-68A4-45AA-8274-591B2EB5B5E9.jpeg

5A0E409B-0316-4D64-9A55-2051B6A4361E.jpeg

54CCE8E4-A998-4B9A-948D-080689A0062F.jpeg

Greg

Excellent  I used to see a few of these  (her sister ships)  quite often  infact they bacame quite a regular sighting  - 

Here is a close up  showing procedure Alpha.

Top one  HMS Monmouth, Bottom   HMS Argyl.

OC.

HMS Monmouth-2.jpg

HMS Argyl-2-2.jpg

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Looks like you were able to find the pictures you were most looking for Greg. Evidence of the amount of rust streaks that can be seen running down the hull especially in the bow area. I find it interesting in a couple of pictures rust can be seen on the superstructure as well. Not as much by any means, but still there.

My favorite picture is the one where we are looking straight down and the water looks painted. It shows how wrong many of us have been when making the water surrounding a moving ship. There is very little "White water" away from the hull aside from the wake.

It also looks like you have a ton of stuff to put onto this little guy.  

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

8 hours ago, RGL said:

Now some more photos

Wow! That thing is a rust bucket isn't it..... Standards have fallen a long way.....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Those are relatively clean, compared to some. They spend enough time at sea to make the routine maintenance hard to accomplish. I'll be following along on this one. Another of Greg's beauties.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I suspect that Ken is right. In many countries Frigates have been opted as the vessel of choice for the pirate patrols that are part of a joint effort of a number of countries. Such duties seem to require considerable time on station monitoring and checking traffic on a daily basis.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

15 minutes ago, RGL said:

you can see this Type 23 is nicely weathered!

Yeah, for the english navy that is a surprise, (at least to me) Still haven't seen a US ship looking that rust-buckety.....

Close to overhaul I suppose.... No obvious rust patches or flaking paint in this view, some heavily faded, chalked paint along the extra wide boot topping and very apparent rust streaks.....

(although your leading set of pics do show some smaller rust patches)

Should be right up your alley brother, in fact a challenge not to overdo the effect I would think....

I'm sure you can do it, your rust streaking technique is right up there with the best of them....

Would love to see it done right.....  Would be a work of art.....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

9 minutes ago, RGL said:

and a recent shot of the stern of the real thing

Yep not a lot of heavy aging there but some definite streaking on the stern and oil canning on the lower hull as well....

A real challenge to be sure......

Quote:

Dont know why the kit makers have to split the heli deck like that 2/3rd  along the heli pad  - they could have made it all one deck  (its the same with many modern warship kits like that in different scales).

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

2 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Dont know why the kit makers have to split the heli deck like that 2/3rd  along the heli pad  - they could have made it all one deck  (its the same with many modern warship kits like that in different scales).

OC.

I don't know why they do that OC, but it is strange and does create more work....

Quote:

Hi  Greg, I just noticed something different.....

1177991751_HHSKent.jpg.8251a1dce7d7971983aa813ccf55ee89.jpg

The Wings on the stern, if I look closely it actually looks like a single fin off the stern along the stern body line inset a few feet and tapering.....

In the left hand red square I drew, you can see the inner line of this fin parallelling the outside bodyline above the waterline shows a definite tapering to a rounded edge.. and that lower darker portion that appears to be wet shows that as it goes towards the water, it starts to curve inwards to follow the sheer line of the stern, but is not a full radius as the edgeline can still be seen....

The right hand square shows that this fins outer surface blends perfectly with the ships outer hull profile... Only question I have is does it continue following the hull profile below the waterline or are they two separate fins?

I don't see it on the kit, or anything that resembles it in the kit parts, and it doesn't appear on F234, HMS Iron Duke in the drydock pick either. Is it something unique to HMS Kent or something the kit manufacturer didn't pick up on?

Update: I found a second pic of the Iron Duke.....

423406800_HMSIronDukeStern.thumb.jpg.efa717afbbd504fe3386ee913234c7ff.jpg

It also shows this stern fin at a sharper angle showing it's profile and that it exists on the type and is distinctive.... looks like it continues underwater from port to starboard as well.... 

No doubt that it is there....

Further update:

It was added to the class of ships during their first midlife update....

From Wiki....

Mid-life refit

The class underwent mid-life refits which lasted 12–18 months and cost £15-20m. Aside from refurbishment of the mess decks and drive train, the ships are being fitted with a transom flap which can add up to one knot (1.9 km/h; 1.2 mph) to the top speed .......

I guess this was done sometime around 2011, it doesn't appear on the Duke class ships as originally built.... , ah, the helicopter hanger was updated in 2011 as well and the model appears to have the later hangar.... I don't see any parts that could represent this "Transom Flap" on the sprues.....

Hope it helps....

EG

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

just found this, looks quite well detailed. but omits the guards you are referring to

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

HMS Kent sails to the Gulf : News Photo

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

There is an upgrade / modernisation set coming from Atlantic models which includes the 3D radar and upgraded missile but probably not worth the $100 it would cost to modernise it. I’ll stick with the pre version. I won a Zestorer Z25 on the Ebays for $30 (that’s like $15 US) and I’d rather get the Flyhawk for that. 

Greg

44 minutes ago, RGL said:

I was aware of it and you’ve probably just guilted me into adding it. 

Sorry, didn't mean to do that, but the kit does represent the post 2 midlife refits she had, by 2014 or so, and not the most current updates.... the unfortunate thing is the manufacturer missed it, when they decided to do the version with the gun turret, (as built they had no defensive armament and no turreted gun) she was strictly an ASW detection/interdiction ship.....

After the fall of the Soviet Union, and the lessening submarine threat they decided to make the ship more multi-role... they added many air defense and self defense upgrades, when they added the gun, is when they added the fin to increase speed..... Just another Trumpeter faux-pas...... Unfortunately.....

EG

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

Thanks, it’s difficult to mail down a year for her in this format, you seem to be all over it. 

no biggie to add the bit at the back, and the Infini upgrade is amazingly good, I think I’d just need the 3d radar and I could modernise her. She has lovely lines 

Greg

23 minutes ago, RGL said:

She has lovely lines 

She certainly does, I'm sure you will do her justice....

Quote:

Well if this picture is accurate we know that #1, somewhere between August 10, 2002 and April 23, 2012, depending on what caption you read on this page, the hull extension was not there. You can still keep clicking the picture and really zoom in. #2 it is obvious that the two ships are not clones either and each is slightly different. 

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/emdjt42/7480366722/

By the time of this as far as I can see, undated photo, the hull extension has been installed but appears to be much smaller than EGs Iron Duke picture above.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjcc/50324253002/in/photolist-2iZJwpN-2iHJgWg-2itNDGF-2hZVtMg-2jEYX9w-2jZRvKM-2hZXV6M-2k7vhmy-2iXyog5-2i1SBFk-2jEUBdo-2hZVu4y-2iYdXkR-2i1TLp6-mngvkH-2jZVXWa-2k7rssk-2hZZ4Un-2hWwaHt-2hWv9Fu-2k7vh8Y-2hWw8vN-Efm4oe-2k7rsdY-2iYeef7-2iYeegj-2iYbMyW-2iYdohT-pQzf74-J1uRAA-2iYdoie-2hi5HDv-2hZ87T3-27zdJ2H-2hYVE31-2i1QcbK-mngXCv-2hi453T-mo5Yn4-He98yg-2dJUy7v-MmYEZg-ejezxy-mwirXm-2iP6G4m-2jmxN52-GFyzJQ-2jmwCkd-7Z6ALt-mFybke

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Yeah, on some of those pics she does, there are a few of her without the 3D radar dating back to 2012/14.... Excellent references as well...

Quote:

Possibly a little off subject but I am curious about what appears to be scaffolding on some ship in the background to the right side. The tall pyramid type structure with the ball on top looks like nothing I have ever seen on any military, (Or for that matter ANY) vessel. The hull also looks more American with it's radar reflecting sloped sides. Any ideas?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjcc/50324253002/in/photolist-2iZJwpN-2iHJgWg-2itNDGF-2hZVtMg-2jEYX9w-2jZRvKM-2hZXV6M-2k7vhmy-2iXyog5-2i1SBFk-2jEUBdo-2hZVu4y-2iYdXkR-2i1TLp6-mngvkH-2jZVXWa-2k7rssk-2hZZ4Un-2hWwaHt-2hWv9Fu-2k7vh8Y-2hWw8vN-Efm4oe-2k7rsdY-2iYeef7-2iYeegj-2iYbMyW-2iYdohT-pQzf74-J1uRAA-2iYdoie-2hi5HDv-2hZ87T3-27zdJ2H-2hYVE31-2i1QcbK-mngXCv-2hi453T-mo5Yn4-He98yg-2dJUy7v-MmYEZg-ejezxy-mwirXm-2iP6G4m-2jmxN52-GFyzJQ-2jmwCkd-7Z6ALt-mFybke

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Just some bits and pieces from my memory of  these  family of ships from seeing them come and go  where we used to live  -  they appeared to be a very good ship regarding little role when cornering  compared to say the  type 42 destroyers,    also  what I found strange  was that the middle anchor  always used to partialy  lowered  when entering  harbour (I used to see that with all  same fleet)  never found out why, also  thier tanoy system was very loud  often when they were moored in a streatch of water we could hear the tanoys  from more than a mile away.

Just a bit of trivia from my own memories.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

4 hours ago, lmagna said:

The tall pyramid type structure with the ball on top looks like nothing I have ever seen on any military

It's a Type 45 RN Destroyer under construction/repair/refit....

HMS_Dauntless_and_HMS_Diamond.thumb.jpg.8fe4c0f21c601c2cfcad14145c2fe53a.jpg

HMS Dauntless and HMS Diamond.

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

32 minutes ago, Egilman said:

It's a Type 45 RN Destroyer under construction/repair/refit....

HMS_Dauntless_and_HMS_Diamond.thumb.jpg.8fe4c0f21c601c2cfcad14145c2fe53a.jpg

HMS Dauntless and HMS Diamond.

Interesting comparison of size with the previous benchmark destroyers  the type 42s   with the Fortress of the Seas  HMS Edinburgh  (my fave modern warship) - the middle of the Two on the left.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

6 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Interesting comparison of size with the previous benchmark destroyers  the type 42s   with the Fortress of the Seas  HMS Edinburgh  (my fave modern warship) - the middle of the Two on the left.

OC.

A very interesting design, been serving since 2010...

Here's a review of the Type 45 Daring class destroyers, the largest destroyers ever built....

Quote: