Mayflower by SkerryAmp - Model Shipways - 5/32" = 1'

Your kevels look very good. Nice work and a decided improvement on the kit parts.

Russ

Thank you Russ,  that is what I was hoping.   Still not 100% comfortable manufacturing parts, but those seemed to break a barrier of sorts :D

Look at you practically a scratch builder. Kevels look awesome :) :) :)

Thanks DC - I guess I am dabbling in some dark places much to my nervousness :D Although I do have some curiosity towards that stuff.

Kevels look great!  I see the dark side coming!

Thanks Aguie,  I am nervous about that dark side,  although curiosity is peaked. 

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Nothing super duper to update this round.  I installed 2 of the kevels and stained the rear pin rail as well as add the belaying pins,  that was about it.

I was pleased once the kevels were installed, they looked quite nice on the ship and am glad I went that route rather than the white metal.

post-61-0-85801300-1408855556_thumb.jpg

Oh, and managed to pull off a captsan of sorts, not the best (compared to some of you folks out there) but finally came up with one that would make it.

post-61-0-09619500-1408855557_thumb.jpg

And lastly, I decided to run the chain through one more bath of blackenit,  trying to darken it up a little bit.

VERY glad I did,  really nice black finish on it now that should look pretty good once cut and set in place.

post-61-0-35982400-1408855557_thumb.jpg

Until next time - ENJOY!

-Adam

Current Builds

Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

The chain looks good. Many times you need a few treatments when blackening to get the color where you want it.

Russ

she's look'n real nice Adam..... your scratch work is a big improvement over the metal ones... good show!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

scratch building......oh, go ahead..........{you know you want to} {devil horns spiking through} ;)

it can be a wonderful tool........it can build creativity. you may not realize it...but your build has some in it ;) bash is a mild form......making do with the supplied parts. I'd say by looking at your build.....your up for the task :) nice progress, by the way ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Adam....just finding your build....enjoyed browsing your log. Picking up a lot I will be applying to my Mayflower. Pulling up a chair.

Thanks Dave!  Or do you prefer sawdust :) .   Welcome aboard and glad you stopped by.   Am glad some of it is useful,  I am far from an expert but if someone can pick up anything from my valiant attempts all the better!

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

scratch building......oh, go ahead..........{you know you want to} {devil horns spiking through} ;)

it can be a wonderful tool........it can build creativity. you may not realize it...but your build has some in it ;) bash is a mild form......making do with the supplied parts. I'd say by looking at your build.....your up for the task :) nice progress, by the way ;)

You are a bad influence my friend! (You and many others here).   I am actually very interested in giving a scratch or heavily bashed ship a try... just still quite tentative of jumping in that pool!    The urge is there though!

she's look'n real nice Adam..... your scratch work is a big improvement over the metal ones... good show!!

Frank

Thank you Frank,  am glad others think so as well.   The metal ones were fine and all but there is no way I can paint it to blend in with the rest of the ship.   Glad I took the shot at it!

Although,  between yours and others weathering and scratching techniques - I am being influenced by some very bad people ;)  (and it is great!)

Edited by SkerryAmp

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Hey Gerty! Glad to see you,  and thank you for the good word - much appreciated!

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Good Evening all!

Put the programming and gaming and what not aside for the last two days (today and yesterday) and spent a nice relaxing quiet time in the hobby room with the admiral.   She spent it working on her beads and looming and I with my ship.  Good times.

I will apologize however,  kind of got in a groove and just started going at it and didn't realize until it was far too late that I hadn't snagged pictures along the way :(

So,  a breif written description of what was done.

My goal is to be rigging end of this week / beginning of next week.  So I have to keep moving on the deck fixtures/fittings etc and get that all wrapped up.

The last two days were spent building ladders and railings and belaying pin racks and rudders OH MY!!

Everything has been pretty much by the book.  I used basswood for the belaying pin racks so they would match the overall color of the ship and the kevels.  Those were straightforward.  Cut them all up with "the chopper", drilled the right number of holes and placed the pins.  The only bit of drama with this came when I realize I was shorted on pins :( .  That was okay, needed some more blacken it anyway for future projects so ordered more pins and blacken it and will return to the missing pin racks when they show up.

The rudder was also straight from the plans,  the laser cut part was fantastic and after a bit of fidgeting with the brass for the pintel and gudgeons (? :huh:  Still learning my Terminology) I got that part all hooked up, painted up and purty like!

The ladders were a bit of a fight.  Got them cut to shape and again using the chopper got the steps all the same size,  just getting them all lined up, straight but at the right pitch, glued to both risers... ugh.

Finally it was the railings and the bell housing.  I used the bell that came with the kit, gave it a base coat of dark gray metallic and then painted over it lightly with acrylic gold.  The railings were all Pear to go with the other accented wood parts.  Epoxied into place to give them some strength then stained all over with the same 2:1 Golden Oak to blend it all together.

All in all I think it was a pretty good couple of days.  Now to work on the knightheads (?), and the pumps and await the incomming pins.  Once those are all set just need to finish off the beakhead (a grate and a pin rack and the outer fixings) and I will be ready to start the fun fun fun stuff (I think).

Here is where she sits at the moment, drying and awaiting the next round!

post-61-0-40429900-1409622084_thumb.jpg

Enjoy and thanks for stopping in!!

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Adam:

She looks great. It sounds like you had a great time.

Russ

Still amazed at the many differences in kit designs for the Mayflower.....which I think is great since every one I have found is uniquely beautiful. Your is looking great Adam. Nice clean work.

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Very nice.  That bell really stands proud.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Sweet! Coming along nicely, Adam.

Just think - a few more weeks and you won't have all those warm weather distractions so you can spend more time in the shop (after you shovel the snow, that is).

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Adam:

She looks great. It sounds like you had a great time.

Russ

Thank you Russ, I did indeed.  It doesn't happen often, in fact it hardly ever happens that I get large chunks of time to do anything lately, so taking that much time to just work on making sawdust and filling the room with the smell of stain and paint was a very nice time!

Still amazed at the many differences in kit designs for the Mayflower.....which I think is great since every one I have found is uniquely beautiful. Your is looking great Adam. Nice clean work.

Thank you Dave,  that means a bunch and is appreciated!   It is funny with the Mayflower how many artiles and paintings and variations there are to draw inspiration from .. quite overwhelming it seems.

Very nice.  That bell really stands proud.

Yes it does, at first I thought it looked wierd.  Here is all this oak and wood and browns and then BOOM shiny gold bell, looked very out of place..  It has grown on me though =)

Sweet! Coming along nicely, Adam.

Just think - a few more weeks and you won't have all those warm weather distractions so you can spend more time in the shop (after you shovel the snow, that is).

OH don't I konw it Wayne... woke up this moring and the darn leaves are changing already,  what is up with that?!?!??!?!?

Looking great. It's nice to get in a groove isn't it?

It is DC,  it is - and trying ot keep it going =)

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Okay Folks,   back for some more fun and excitement in the land of mayflower construction!

Tonight, the goal was to continue deck items in order to be ready for rigging adventures this weekend/next week,  so tonight was knights and pumps.    In reviewing this all I can see I forgot something - but if nobody notices I will just sneak it in there and none will be the wiser =).

Anyway,  to make up the pumps here is the route I took for those who may be intersted.

First, I am really not adept and handling and working with the small parts and pieces yet, so trying to cut the cylynders and wall them up was really giving me pain.  So, I tried a different approach.   It took a dowel and cut it down some , about 5 inches or so I then took some narrow strips and cut them to about 3 inches and wrapped the dowel in them.   This is what would be the cylynder blank.   The idea is to cut the section I need for the cylynder and if something happesn I have more material already done up to try again.   This time around I didn't need it however.

Anywho =)

The Blank was then taped up to allow for drying.

post-61-0-39739900-1409803791_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-64113000-1409803791_thumb.jpg

Once that was dried I had some gaps between the planked wall so using some hobby light i filled it all in, this would smooth out the transitions as well as stain a hair darker than the wood and look like caulking/sealing material (i hoped).

post-61-0-87445400-1409803791_thumb.jpg

Cleaned up the blank,  removing filler material from the faces of the planks and cleaning up any errant glue that may be on there.  I just used a small cotton pad and some alchohol and wiped it all down.  Works like a champ!

post-61-0-15854000-1409803792_thumb.jpg

Then I went ahead and measured the lenght of the cylinders I needed for the pumps.   I taped them up at the cut marks in order to hold the unit together when the saw hit it and didn't vibrate loose or splinter.  There are three cut marks,  the first is to trim the end flush, the second two are the breakpoints for the cylinders.

post-61-0-47990300-1409803792_thumb.jpg

Using my handy dandy Microlux cut off saw I cut them cylinders nice and neat!

post-61-0-79257900-1409803792_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-15531300-1409803793_thumb.jpg

Going by CHucks instructions I grabbed the proper wood in accordance with the booklet and cut, shaped and carved the handles and drilled holes into the cylinders.

post-61-0-38455700-1409803793_thumb.jpg

I took some Tamiya masking tape (yellow),  sharpied it black and trimmed it to size to use as the bands on the pumps.  Assembled them all up and whalla - finally I have some pumps!!

post-61-0-64650700-1409803793_thumb.jpg

I got them installed on the deck and all is good with the world!!  (also got a knight on there as well)

post-61-0-88655400-1409803793_thumb.jpg

My HUGE apologies for any grevious spelling or grammar mistakes throughout this,  it is a little late - been at this most of the evening and wanted to get this update in before i retired for the evening.

Am very much on a mission here so I am sensing some late nights in my future =)

Thanks all for stopping in!

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

That is a clever method for making the pumps. Nice work.

Russ

Oh yes! Knew you could do it mate. They look great. Way to go!

Having said that....when you pump the handle, where does the water come out?

it does appear you left off the spouts.

Easy fix....no problem.

Dave :>)

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Spouts?  Come on Dave, do you want everything?????

Adam  --- they look really great.  Next time you're faced with making iron bands you might consider the possibility of using some really short lengths of black heat shrink tubing like they use on wire connections.  They come in a huge variety of diameters and I've used them with good success.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

very well done Adam.......sounds like a neat process,  if one needs to mass produce parts.   the deck layout is really coming along nicely!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Augie....."Spouts? Come on Dave, do you want everything?????"

Just sayin....that water's got to come out somewhere. All that pumping, and no water? Hell man, I'm hot and thirsty!

Sawdust Dave -

That is a clever method for making the pumps. Nice work.

Russ

Thank you Russ,  wasn't sure how it was going to turn out as I went along,  a lot of operating on hope, faith and theory but it turned out well (Thankfully)!

thats a nice looking model Adam.

Thanks Brian, appreciate that!

Thanks for the tutorial Adam  :D  :D  :D

Now I know how to make buckets when ever I need them !

Sjors

Anytime my friend- I come up with a decent idea every once in a while often times surprising myself :D since most of my ideas are pure theory and "This SHOULD work" ... sometimes, it does!

Ya know, I didn't even think of buckets - but yeah,  buckets!!   Excellent!!

Very clever, Adam. The pumps look snazzy.

Glad you are getting some time in the shop - it can be quite therapeutic!

Thank you Wayne!  YES therapeutic is the word, real nice to unwind at the end of the evening with some wood and hand held tools!

Oh yes! Knew you could do it mate. They look great. Way to go!

Having said that....when you pump the handle, where does the water come out?

it does appear you left off the spouts.

Easy fix....no problem.

Dave :>)

Thanks Dave,  I was determined... and yep you get the prize,  the spouts were what I had forgotten I figured someone would see it ;) I will have to touch those up shortly.

Spouts?  Come on Dave, do you want everything?????

Adam  --- they look really great.  Next time you're faced with making iron bands you might consider the possibility of using some really short lengths of black heat shrink tubing like they use on wire connections.  They come in a huge variety of diameters and I've used them with good success.

Thanks Augie,  I have a set of standards I am trying to achieve - set by many of you incredibly talented builders, so I appreciate the good word!

Heat shrink tubing?   Cut them into rings and stretch them over the part?  

Interesting.

very well done Adam.......sounds like a neat process,  if one needs to mass produce parts.   the deck layout is really coming along nicely!

Thanks Denis,  I am all about streamlining when possible.  I tucked the remainder of that aside just in case I need something - especially after Sjors mentioned buckets,  it may come in handy!

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Augie....."Spouts? Come on Dave, do you want everything?????"

Just sayin....that water's got to come out somewhere. All that pumping, and no water? Hell man, I'm hot and thirsty!

If you are thirsty you don't want the pump water, you want what is in the special barrels :D

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Sweet!

Thanks Randy,  I actually believe I said that when it looked like they were going to work :D

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds