Mayflower by SkerryAmp - Model Shipways - 5/32" = 1'

Yup, heat shrink tubing.  Cut your 'band' with a razor, slide it on and shrink with a hairdryer.  You can find it in flat black  and it accepts paint well if need be.  It's even great on things like anchor stocks where you may have some unusual angles that need 'bands'.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Good early evening folks!

So, spent the day going over what I was going to tackle tonight,  maybe the grating on the beakhead, finish dressing up the beakhead,  tackle the lifeboat,  the channels etc....

Came home to a delivery and the night just got turned upside down...  Yessiree Bob my order from Chuck's Syren Ship Modeling Company is here...   Also my MS order came in as well, so my pins are in,  boy oh boy what to do what to do!!

post-61-0-16770600-1409873408_thumb.jpg

I have to tell you, these really are some awesome looking parts.    I do believe my night will now switch figuring out how to make up some of these deadeyes and see how they turn out... 

I did go with the suggestion and had one of these ordered as well, which also came - must be a sign!!! :D

post-61-0-42150400-1409873631_thumb.jpg

Well,  off to do some quick classwork (gotta tell you,  getting a degree at 43 is not what it is cracked up to be ;) ),  I shall then put on a show and see where the night takes me!!

Until later tonight,  ENJOY!!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Okee Dokee my friends,  had to do it - just had to....   spent the night working out how to assemble the deadeyes to see how they were going to come out....

I dunno about you guys, but I am really really happy with these things - THANK you Chuck, spectacular job!   I am sure you guys will as well.

So,  first the problem.

These things are small - as to be expected right? 

So, how to assemble them.   They are laser cut, very nicely and easy to cut from the wood spars.  However gluing them together and

1) Keeping the holes aligned

2) Keeping glue out of the holes

3) Keeping them sandwhiched properly so as not to slip.

I put on the thinking cap....and here is what I came up with.

I decided to start with the largest ones,  6mm,  as test subjects to my "process"

FIrst we need 3 pins and a block of wood. (The pins should fit through the deadeye holes ;) )

post-61-0-71922700-1409889099_thumb.jpg

We then cut the tops off the pins so we just have the metal shafts

post-61-0-43394600-1409889174_thumb.jpg

We then cut the deadeye parts from the wooden spar and place one of the outer parts on the block (face down as it will be the outside) and insert the pins in the holes

post-61-0-72162700-1409889274_thumb.jpg

We now have our "jig".   we take an inner part, add a VERY Small amount of glue and slide it over the pins, then take the second outer part of the deadeye, face up. Add a small dot of glue and slide it down.  There we have it, an assembled deadeye B) .

post-61-0-82958600-1409889591_thumb.jpg

The pins act as an alignment guide, not only are they spaced correctly but due to the pattern on the eyes if you attempt to put a part on out of alignment it will be very obvious as the pins bend out of wack.   So we now have an alignment jig for our assembly of the deadeyes.

This process then can be repated.

* Outer section face down

* dot of glue on middle section slid into place

* dot of glue on outer section face up slid into place

I did this unti I had a small tower of deadeyes, all perfectly aligned and held in place to dry.

post-61-0-50654200-1409889678_thumb.jpg

Once they are dried you can pull the assembly off of the block.  Most likely it will come off like a shishkebob of deadeyes, that is okay.  Just pull the pins out one at a time and walla, a pile of dead-eyes.   Repeat untl all are complete.

I was now just one step away from the finish  :10_1_10:

post-61-0-54694500-1409890038_thumb.jpg

The first thing I had done before any of this was assemble the Model Shipways BlockBuster,  in anticipation.

So  grabbed the handful of 6mm assembled and unbusted dead eyes, through them into the blockbuster and went to town.

I would say I had it running about 5 or 6 minutes and sadly the drill started to peter out.. so had to stop.  However,  the result is pretty darn nice!

post-61-0-45220700-1409890177_thumb.jpg

I am goig to run it through again tomorrow after the batter has a chance to charge up a bit and even out teh edge color some and get rid of the little tabs where I had cut it from the sprue.   Some of them already have been sanded off by the buster so I know it will finish them off nicely.   Once those are cleaned up these will be some nice little dead eyes and at least in my opinion an upgrade from the kit supplied ones.

So,  that was tonights adventure.   My first adventure into assembling Syren Ship Model Company's dead eyes.  I am hoping the same process will work for the smaller ones I just need to find pins or some sturdy cheap wire small enough to fit.

Until next time all!

Enjoy!

-Adam

Current Builds

Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

what size are those?  I like the way they look.......and the rest 'o the booty as well!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Remember....you dont have to assemble the deadeyes one at a time.  They were made and aligned as a group. No pins needed.  Although your method keeps the holes from clogging wwith glue.   Very nice touch.  You can glue the three layers of each sprue together and just use the surrounding bounding box as a guide to line them up.  You actually made it ten times harder than it needed to be even though they look great.  Or at least it looks like it took a long time doing it one at a time.  It is also a good idea to file down those tabs on the deadeyes before you throw them into the tumbler.  It makes them keep their shape better and it wont take as long in the tumbler is is a very violent process.   It only takes a few seconds with a file before you throw them into the tumbler.   

pictyure 002.jpg

Gluing up a whole row at one time with all three layers.

pictyure 003.jpg

Three layers all glued together

pictyure 004.jpg

Use a snippers to cut them free.

pictyure 005.jpg

Tumble them up....remember to modify the tumbler and NOT use the stiff wood flaps.   Just add three sheets of sandpaper...220 grit to each side of the spindle to make a flap wheel.  The three sheets of sandpaper are not glued together...they are left lose which make the flap wheel more stiff without obliterating your deadeyes and blocks.  It works better like this in my opinion.  Dont forget the read through the full set of instructions.  I have also stopped making them with 13 deadeyes in a row as there were too many to glue up easily within a reasonable time frame...so instead I have cut them down to seven in each sprue...as its more manageable.   I include four in a pack which actually gives you more deadeyes.   Let me know if you have any questions at all.

Download it here.

pictyure 006.jpg

I am glad you are having fun with it.  They do look good.  :)  :)  :)  :)

And remember...DON'T TUMBLE THE FIDDLE BLOCKS...they are not round but soon will be if you use the tumbler.  Those must be shaped by hand.  AND those are meant to be assembled one at a time and not in a strip of six as stated in the instructions.

Chuck

Well thank you very much Chuck,   I am not sure if I had read that and forgot I had read that, or if I just plain missed it - I did NOT realize they could just be lined up, stacked up, glued up and done.  That sure does make it a heck of a lot easier.  Is there anything you did not think of!

Now even MORE impressed!!!

I will do that from here on out.

(They really are nice!)

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Another good weekend at the bench!

My goal was to get in a spot to start the masts and rigging this coming week and I am just about there.   I did get into a bit of a groove again,  between football and building, time just moved along and I didn't get pics along the way as much as I wanted.

I do have to get better at that,  am trying :( to at least.

This weekends updates are all around rounding out the ship.

First the channels were painted, installed and knees added.  These, once in, really made the nearing of the end real to me - very exciting.  Odd how just a small thing can do that, but very cool!

post-61-0-57438400-1410149677_thumb.jpg

Using some pear in order to continue the scheme of using peaer for accents and trim work I created the frame for the beakhead grating and some replacement grating I had to order from MS to finish up the kit.

post-61-0-85475800-1410149677_thumb.jpg

And then very simply glued that in to place, added the walkway planks and pin rail with belaying pins and wallah!  The interior of the beakhead is complete!!

post-61-0-32500500-1410149678_thumb.jpg

Then finished up the trim on the outside of the beakhead!  Again just went with the kit scheme to keep it simple.   ON the fence about the beakhead yellow decorations, may just leave them off - still undecided.

post-61-0-78060300-1410149678_thumb.jpg

And here we have her, the mayflower - 99% ready to begin the masts and rigging.   I still have some minor bits and pieces to finish up before then, a couple of pin rails to add now that I have the extra belaying pins as well as replacing the railing on the poop deck (it snapped off :( ).   Once I get those all in place I am going to give it a once over with a nice semi gloss spray.   All I have is testors lacquer, which typically is not good to use over acrylics.  I think I need to go find some acrylic based tomorrow in anticipation!

Anyway, once it is sprayed with a couple of coats to even out the colors and sheen,  I will be on to the masts and rigging!!!  (even the ratlines :o ... )

:10_1_10:

So here she sits currently - ready for her touchups, dotting of the I's crossing of the T's and a nice shiny coat!

post-61-0-18815600-1410149679_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-57763500-1410149679_thumb.jpg

Until later... enjoy!

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Not bad, Adam. Not bad at all! The details look nice and proportional - and those colors work well. Are you adding spouts to the pumps as well?

So, masting starts soon - onward and upward?

Now, about those Patriot's....

Edited by trippwj

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Great to see the beakhead come together....nice job. I am coming in right behind you at this point. Starting to get a little excited here. So much ahead of us, yet so much behind us.

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

A weekend well spent!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

the way Chuck shows the assembly of those dead eyes is really cool.   an added step you could do,  is to trim the wood sprues from the center layer,  before cementing the outer layer in place.  it would cut down on the finish trimming before the tumbler.

the build looks great Adam.........you've picked up the pace without a stumble  ;)  yea.....it's never good to make any changes in the finishing process.   you kept such a nice even tone from bow to stern.  almost done with the length is good to hear........and especially nice to hear that soon,  you'll be tackling the height!  :)    very nice!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Not bad, Adam. Not bad at all! The details look nice and proportional - and those colors work well. Are you adding spouts to the pumps as well?

So, masting starts soon - onward and upward?

Now, about those Patriot's....

I did add the spouts and some more of the details , but then hit a small materials snag (which I will update shortly) so am in a holding pattern for the moment... but found something to keep me busy till the new parts arrive!

Those patriots.... :omg:  is there ANY chance that was just another preseason means nothing game? ANY at all??

:wacko:

Looking good! Enjoyed the info on the blocks and look forward to watching the rigging progress

Thanks Vintage! Appreciate teh good word and can't wait to start rigging myself.  That is the sign the end is near (for this one that is)

Great to see the beakhead come together....nice job. I am coming in right behind you at this point. Starting to get a little excited here. So much ahead of us, yet so much behind us.

Ah Dave yours is fantastic and am enjoying following along with it.  You are right - much ahead and MUCH more behind I understand the excitement!

A weekend well spent!

Yes it was!  School and work has eased up a tad so taking advantage of it.   My current classes are in things I have been doing professionally for 20 years now but they wouldn't let me test out of them,  so I am coasting and enjoying every minute of it!

the way Chuck shows the assembly of those dead eyes is really cool.   an added step you could do,  is to trim the wood sprues from the center layer,  before cementing the outer layer in place.  it would cut down on the finish trimming before the tumbler.

the build looks great Adam.........you've picked up the pace without a stumble  ;)  yea.....it's never good to make any changes in the finishing process.   you kept such a nice even tone from bow to stern.  almost done with the length is good to hear........and especially nice to hear that soon,  you'll be tackling the height!  :)    very nice!

Thanks Denis.. the length is wrapping up and onward and upward....I am quite lucky to have maintained that finish through the multiple batches of stain I had to mix up,, not sure I will be so lucky on the Santa Maria but we shall see.

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Quick progress update - None :(

Well, not really....   I did finish up a bunch of the little stuff, however came up short on some materials to truly push it over the edge. So, ordered them up and waiting for them to show at which I point I will get back and wrap up,  seal it up and start rigging!!

Until then - I think I shall spend time on the Santa Maria!

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

look on the bright side........you have another build to fill your time while waiting for material  :)   what's not to like!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

look on the bright side........you have another build to fill your time while waiting for material  :)   what's not to like!

Absolutely!!

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

look'n real good Adam...... like those dead-eyes, might try them myself when the time comes.

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Thanks Frank!  The dead eyes are indeed very cool and I am really looking forward to hooking them up!!

Edited by SkerryAmp

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Well,  my goal was to start rigging this week, however the set back on waiting for a few loose end parts and my approaching vacation this weekend will push rigging off to a start time of next week when I return.  Taking the wife and brother down to Hershey Park in PA tomorrow night and I don't think they will be too keen on me packing my ship and materials and working on it in the hotel - although it is very tempting!! B)

So,  got my parts and finished up all the little loose ends. 

Finished the pin rails;  pretty straightforward really just basswood and golden oak to blend it all together.

Put the "hinges" on the gun lids;  just used some pactra black trim tape. Cut it to size and stuck them on!

Then sprayed the whole thing down with a couple coats of sealer to bring out some of the colors and deepen the stain a bit and that is where she will remain until Next week.

So, as I head off to finish up some other work and tasks I need to wrap up before tomorrow night i will leave some pics of where she sits today, the hull for the most part finished and now waiting for some masts and rope!  Then it will be to attach the anchors, the flower the rear pole and mount on the base and wallah!

post-61-0-86711000-1410995990_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-55482900-1410995992_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-22706000-1410995992_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-86256700-1410995991_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-42806700-1410995991_thumb.jpg

Until later all!

Enjoy and happy modeling!!

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Adam,

You have made what is marketed as an intermediate "build look absolutely "Advanced". This build of yours is super exceptional. Gorgeous work. Very much enjoying following along.

PS: Bigger Pics ??? (:-)  were certainly missing some great details

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

beautiful work Adam.......have a great time away!   at least we have some cute pictures to look at in the meantime  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Great job Adam.

And I can magnify the pictures that big that I see dust.....somewhere  :D  :D

And next week the fun part begins ????Rigging ?

yes, Ratlines !!!!!! ;)  ;)

Enjoy your stay somewhere else.....

Sjors

Adam,

You have made what is marketed as an intermediate "build look absolutely "Advanced". This build of yours is super exceptional. Gorgeous work. Very much enjoying following along.

PS: Bigger Pics ??? (:-)  were certainly missing some great details

Michael

Hello ,as Michael said "bigger pics",your doing a fantastic job,nice work. Edwin

Ahh Gentleman I very much appreciate the kind words,  I am slowly working my skills up.   I have tried doing bigger but they more often then not come out blurry,  plus if I get to big you can see alllllllll the booboos and the illusion would be shattered ;) .  I will work on it though.

Very nice job indeed Adam. She looks great.

Thank you Dave,  much appreciated as I watch yours progress :D

Beautiful looking model Adam !    Nice Job !

YAY Gerty!   Thanks for stopping in again - appreciate it, and thank you!

beautiful work Adam.......have a great time away!   at least we have some cute pictures to look at in the meantime  :)

Thanks Dennis,  the vacation was great!   But would be lying if I didn't admit to spending some brain cycles on what I was going to do when I got home B)

Great job Adam.

And I can magnify the pictures that big that I see dust.....somewhere  :D  :D

And next week the fun part begins ????Rigging ?

yes, Ratlines !!!!!! ;)  ;)

Enjoy your stay somewhere else.....

Sjors

Ohh Sjors my friend, if you magnify it you surely would see dust - dings and other mishaps - but getting there, getting there...learning through every mistake, twitch, nick and oops!

And yes....  Ratlines!!

My time away has come to an end... and as such - back to the bench!

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

So, vacation was a blast - Hershey park is a lot of fun if you have not been and like amusement parks I think it was well worth the time and money spent!  Although - 84 through Connecticut is a bit of an anxiety trip :o .

So, got home last night and just kicked back and decompressed a bit. However, as a tradition started many moons ago I always take one extra day from work upon returning so spent today back at the bench!!

Next up was the bowsprit.   Between the plans and the great instructions it was pretty much straighforward and easy peasy.  Although tying the gammoning was a new experience and I spent a good amount of time learning to use two tweezers (didn't have to do that on the phantom).

So,  started with an acceptably sized dowel....

post-61-0-92594700-1411437123_thumb.jpg

It was then time to taper it.  Since I do not have a wood lathe (Although after this I am thinking I may look into one,  Harbor Freight had a cheap one,  may see if that one is any good) I went with the drill method.  Used a small piece of cloth to protect the dowel end and chucked that puppy up and got ready to go!

post-61-0-14589400-1411437124_thumb.jpg

Using 80 grit sandpaper I fired up the drill and started to slowly sand it away.   I varied the pressure from the base to the tip and after a little while (and a battery swap)  I got it to size per the plans.   One big tip doing it this way,  wear gloves! That sandpaper gets VERY hot and it gets very uncomfortable and the potential for a burn is pretty good.

I had debated on whether to drill the hole and let the gammoning do it's thing,  but ended up opting for cutting the correct angle and gluing it to the bow.  So created a small tenon for that effort.

post-61-0-40329400-1411437124_thumb.jpg

Next up, add the chocks and cleats.   Those were pretty easy, not totally sure I got the alignment dead on but I think I got it acceptably close.  The chocks were just small rectangles cut rough and then filed to shape in place.

post-61-0-64577100-1411437124_thumb.jpg

A quick coat of stain and the bowsprit was mounted and the gammoning tied and this step of the masting/rigging is done!

post-61-0-83829000-1411437124_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-05632100-1411437125_thumb.jpg

One small issue that did show up is that apparently when I sealed it I messed up.  I discovered how bad an idea that was after taking the pics and wondering what all those little white dust spots were all over the ship.   They aren't there in person.   However, after closer inspection the specks are the shine from the sealer.   I thought I had grabbed satin, but no no no.  I grabbed GLOSS, and HIGH GLOSS at that.   So,  I have to get some satin sealer and redo that, so please ignore the speckle effect,  it isn't there to the eye, but the camera gets it due to the finish -

It kind of made me :blink::angry::blink::angry::blink::angry::blink::angry::blink::angry::blink::angry::blink::angry::blink::angry::blink::angry::blink::angry::blink::angry::blink::angry::blink::angry::blink::angry:

Tomorrow night it would appear that next up is to work on the main masts, so looking forward to that!!!

So, until later - enjoy and happy modeling!!

Edited by SkerryAmp

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Adam:

This is a good looking model. Nice work on the bowsprit.

Russ