Mayflower by SkerryAmp - Model Shipways - 5/32" = 1'

decking looks very good Adam.......right down to the grating........sweet!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks all!!

Currently working on the deck bulkheads;  hopefully will have something to post later tonight.  They were stained and drying overnight so just have to figure out how to add the hinges and stuff and then mount them.

After working outside yesterday for the better part of the day (ugh, was hot for around here this time of year) today is another hot day for working in the yard so will be holed up in the workshop :piratetongueor4:

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Evening folks,   finished up with some of the deck heads so decided I woudl throw up an update before moving on to other things.

I so far have done the Poop Deck Bulkhead, the Forward Cubbridge Head and the Great Cabin

Nothing really spectacular as far as techniques here, I just made sure to do what I did for the rest of the ship in order to maintain consistency.   I used the Ebony wood putty for caulking and used a dental pick and walnut putty for treenails.     For the doors I used the eyebolts with the kit bent at an angle for the door handles, and pactra trim tape cut in half for the door hinges.  I followed Chuck's tip for creating bolt heads and whalla - we have doors! :P

Poop Deck Head

post-61-0-18761500-1370215383.jpg

Forward Cubbridge Head

post-61-0-43819200-1370215383.jpg

Great Cabin Head

post-61-0-84562900-1370215383.jpg

Deck Shot

post-61-0-18044300-1370215384_thumb.jpg

Poop Deck

post-61-0-47060000-1370215384.jpg

Cubbridge View

post-61-0-88221600-1370215384_thumb.jpg

Side Shot

post-61-0-26500700-1370215385_thumb.jpg

Once everything was affixed I went over it with Formby's Tung Oil Finish.  It really helped to bring out the color and clean up some of the lines on it.   I will probobly do another coat once this is dry to deepen it a little but.

So, while this dries I am off to something else wonderful and funatstic!!

Thanks all for stopping in

Enjoy!!!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

sweet!!!  the only suggestion I can make,  is to try and keep the doors square to the deck.   your creativity level is over the top....so we'll just keep this between you and me ...LOL!   big thumbs up from me ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Yeah, I am not sure what happened with the doors.  2 of them don't look bad, but the one - the Grand Cabin looks like a strong wind hit it and bent it over.   They looked okay in person on the desk, but once they went on :omg: .

Wayne, I had thought about it actually. I saw a couple of others here who detailed the interiors and thought it would be kind of cool, but then realized I am still a noobie and probobly best not to step TOO far over the line (yet that is :P )

Thanks guys for stopping in.   Will be doing some more tonight when I get home from work and will see if I can do anything with that door.

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

actually,  I wouldn't do anything with them......when you showed the panels....the offset was quite noticeable.   but,  now that they are on the deck,  they look better.   to try to fix them might damage the overall appearance.   they have a unique antique look to them.   don't be afraid to experiment a little....that's what makes creativity grow ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Adam...... I have to agree with David on the doors, of course my eyes aren't what they used to be ! :D  :D Besides that , it looks GREAT!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Thanks all for popping in and for the good words, it is very appreciated!

I did leave the door as was,  Pop was right it was much more exagerrated off of the boat.  I can still tell it is a bit off, but once everything else is on it won't be bad at all I believe.  At least not warrenting taking it all off.   If it was as off as it looked before it was mounted it would have been redone in a heartbeat!!

Still moving forward on the kits,  will have updates soon.  I put up a firepit in our back yard so the wife and I have been spending the last couple of weeks sitting outside at night relaxing and getting away from the office to chill a bit.

Soon though, soon =)

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

don't blame you..........we must be done with all the crap that's been hitting us.......the forecast is calling for hot,  and the first day of summer is only a day or two away!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the good words!!

My apologies for the long delays between updates - I really have to find a way to get organized and budget out time for this that the other and building!!   It is driving me NUTS!!!! =)

But, with that.   set to work on the Mayflower a bit more, sort of got caught up in it and didn't get good pics along the way =( however..

Next up was the sides,  grabbed the laser cut forms and went to planking the insides using the bass strips so I can sand and stain them to match the rest of the interior.  The windows were done using the trim tape supplied with the kit and THANKS to chucks template for the cross pattern!

Once those were done just mounted them onto the ship!  They went on pretty well I think, although now that it is all together I can see a few flaws in the hull that need tending too before I do the final planking.  There is also a gap along the edge of the poop deck,  I think once the beams are in and with some judicious use of barrels, netting and ropes I should be able to decorate it to hide them well.   Can't wait for the day that I don't have to hide the mistakes but rather don't make them in the first place!!!

Well, to the PICS!!

post-61-0-60853600-1373228679_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-55841000-1373228681_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-97242600-1373228681_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-33053900-1373228682_thumb.jpg

Thanks again for stopping by!

Until later!  ENJOY!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Hi Adam.

We all make mistakes and can not hide them all…...

But it looks nice  :D

I see that you have to do a little sanding on the bow…….

When the second planking goes on it, you don't see a thing about it.

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Looks good Adam.  Sjors is right... we all make those mistakes that need hiding.  Some can be hidden, others not.  So we learn and carry on.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

at least yours is completely planked..........I'm still working on the Half Moon!   LOL!   {just kidding}   gaps........hard to see my friend :)  but, that's why they invented molding..........1 mm wide thin stripping really does the trick.   then there are the mating joints, especially if it's that really thin plywood........you do a batten along the edge,  and watch it magically disappear.   you have a fine surface for a second planking, to be sure ;)   your doing a great job.....keep it up!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Guys, thanks for the pop in!

Sjors:  Thank you sir!  I do have a bit of clean up at the bow, once the sides went on there is a bump that is very noticeable - and am very much hoping the second planking lays well - the hull feels smooth even though the lighting makes it look otherwise in places; playing tricks on my eyes I hope.

Mark: Very true, very true - live and learn! Heck - if I learn how to cover mistakes well that is a part of the battle I guess!  ;)

Popeye: Hadn't though of molding... hmmmmm, now ya gave me something to think about.  Love your half moon by the way!!

More in progress.  Last night finished the deck work up to where it needs to be and attached the stem, keel and stern. Tonight will be working on on the backside of the stern and hopefully have something to show for it soon!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Looking forward to your gals' next photo op.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Adam,

I'm working on the MS Mayflower. I'm confused by the location of the dummy gun port strips. The laser cut strips are too thin for the cut outs in the bulkheads. Are they installed in the center of the cut outs, or to the top or bottom of the cut outs? I realize they won't be seen, but I want to get it right.

By the way, I'm a crew member on Mayflower II in Plymouth, Ma. If anybody wants pics of any details on Mayflower II, I'd be happy to post them. Right now, Mayflower is in dry dock in Fairhaven, Ma. undergoing major restoration. We expect that she will be back in Plymouth harbor by August 1st. Check out the "Captain's Blog" at Plimothplantion.org

Best regards,

Rick Ryan

Rick

HI there Rick!!

The should be notches along where the gun ports would be which the strips will set into a bit.  They stick out a smidgen but they run along the bulkheads in those little groves.  Then of course you have to frame the vertical struts and should be good to go!

You are a crew member on the MFII.  How cool is that.  My wife and I wanted to come down there this year,  we wanted to make a stop at Connie and the MF but we had heard that the MF was getting restored.    Definitely want to get down there at some point this year!!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

@ Augie:  Next set of pics coming soon, worked on the Transom tonight and got that all squared away will be finishing up the bow and then get some pics up just before i try the (shudder) final planking!!

@Wayne: Thank you sir - and you have a SAFE drive back up this way.  Maybe I will find a spot along 95 with a big ole sign =)   (Course,  not knowing exactly what time you were going by could make that a challenge)

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

a banner across an overpass would suffice.............."welcome to the land of Ice and Snow"    kind of a  'Zep'  theme,  don'tcha know  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

@Wayne: Thank you sir - and you have a SAFE drive back up this way.  Maybe I will find a spot along 95 with a big ole sign =)   (Course,  not knowing exactly what time you were going by could make that a challenge)

-Adam

Thanks, Adam - Will be passing through late afternoon next Thursday.  With only 16 miles of highway to choose from, and maybe a dozen overpasses, should be easy to find the right one!

a banner across an overpass would suffice.............."welcome to the land of Ice and Snow"    kind of a  'Zep'  theme,  don'tcha know  :)

Popeye - strange as it seems, after 15 years in the land of heat and tornadoes, we are actually looking forward to ice and snow where the road crews know how to handle it!

I can almost taste the fresh lobster now...5 days of packing left (including today) then load out and hit the road on Monday!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus