Mayflower by SkerryAmp - Model Shipways - 5/32" = 1'

a banner across an overpass would suffice.............."welcome to the land of Ice and Snow"    kind of a  'Zep'  theme,  don'tcha know  :)

heheh, now you are thinking!!     Heck I see banners up on the overpasses all the time; wonder if I could get away with it....hmmmmmm....

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Thanks, Adam - Will be passing through late afternoon next Thursday.  With only 16 miles of highway to choose from, and maybe a dozen overpasses, should be easy to find the right one!

Am now trying to figure out if I can find the time to get out that way .... hmmmm.....

-Adam

Current Builds

Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

I see them on 101 all the time........this we'd have to see :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks, Adam!

I don't think I was clear in my question. I understand that the strips fit into the notches, but I'm asking about the dummy strips that fit behind the notches where the dummy cannons would be inserted. As they won't be seen, I suppose the fitting doesn't matter.

Check Plimoth.org for the arrival date of Mayflower as we get closer to the date.

Best regards,

Rick

Rick

Ohhh, sorry - yes the dummy strip sets back right down the middle against the back.  It won't be seen at all just provides a back drop of solid black so if you model it with the ports open and the light catchs just right you won't see structural stuff inside. So the fitting isn't super important.

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

And here we wrap up the trifecta of ship builds for the night.  Each of my three builds getting some attention!!

(This new scheduling experiment is working like a charm)

Tonight we just finished up the Stern and bow.  Everything went according to plan except for the windows on the stern.  I am not sure if it was the humidity or what but the tape kept losing it's "stick" and was just not cooperating. I started running out, I started panicking and then thought  - let's try it.   I copied the tape pattern from the instruction book, cut out the window "glass" from the acetate and mounted the copy to the glass and trimmed to shape.  

You know what - I personally do not think it came out that bad at all.  (I could be wrong, and please let me know if I was just soothing myself from frustration) but,  I was very worried it would look aweful,  but I think it came out okay.

So, the stern is all done up, windows, trim and knees and all planking.  All that is left there is to let it all dry so I can do the nails and then the final conditioner and stain.

The bow is a little more behind but not much.  All the planking is in and the filler in place.  All that is left there is sanding the bow,  adding nails and door decorations and then final stain.  It is funny, just like the other door on the main deck bulkhead, the doors on this one look off.  I am more convinced than ever it is something to do with the camera, lighting and lines of the ship.  In person everything is nice and square.  Driving me nuts though! ;)

Getting there,  inch by inch, step by step, but getting there!!

post-61-0-90029400-1374110305_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-67444600-1374110306_thumb.jpg

More to come!   Got a groove thing going on =)

ENJOY!!!

-Adam

Edited by SkerryAmp

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Adam:

I think the stern windows look good. The fit is good and the pattern looks excellent. Very nice job there.

Russ

Yes indeed...I agree with Russ.  You are doing very well with the kit.  It looks great.

Chuck

looking sweet Adam..........love to see a closer look at those windows  {I'm nosey}  :)    looking at your bow.......I then look at the bow of my Half Moon.  If I have to take a saw to it,  I'm going to scream!  I did those bow bulwark walls according to the plans.........that's the way they told me to do it :) 

your bow looks great........the doors are alright........they are perpendicular to the bow decking.  your doing a fantastic job........nice progress!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thak you gentlemen for popping in and the good words, greatly appreciated!!

Popeye,  Below are some close up pictures - mind you I am way out of my comfort zone with close ups (I still havn't figured out how you guys get such awesome close up clean work, mine is all arms length work so far)  but figured what the heck.

So pardon the quality of the close up (am a bit embarassed by it to be honest)

I can see on the close up where I actually need to do a weeeee bit of touch up on the white caulking frame on the inside of the center window so that was good I guess ;)

A blown up view of the back (still doesn't look bad)

post-61-0-84532200-1374160374_thumb.jpg

Close up of the windows (OMG at this close up what the heck!!! How you guys do such awesome close up work is escaping me to no end)

post-61-0-38968000-1374160375_thumb.jpg

-Adam

Edited by SkerryAmp

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Nothing to be embarrassed about here, Adam - you have a nice look stern (the boat, that is) and the windows came out very clean!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Holy smokes, that's a lot of stern!  Windows look great.

'Cap'n, I'm a shipwright not a photographer'.  Chill out  :D  :D

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Great job Adam,

Maybe you did it or your camera has not a macro but when you want a close picture, use books where you can put on your camera and then the macro  on and snap……picture !

Try a few pictures from a different distance and see what's the best.

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Thanks all!!

@Wayne:  Thank you sir,  I am working on trying to get cleaner, am very "aware" when I take these pictures of where I can improve, so thank you for the kind words my friend.  (My wife was reading the responses and I had to explain the nice looking stern thing... she just shook her head hehehe. :D )

@Augie: :P And of course you got the ole "see, told you so" out of the admiral.  Yes..  I do indeed need to chill out.  I am sometimes overcome with a desire for perfection in an imperfect world and yup, need to cut myself some slack.  :P    (Capn I'm a shipwright...  excellent!! )

@Sjors:  I have been toying with my camera (actually my phone) with various settings to see if it's macro setting works,  got some better ones - the steadying on some books worked out well,  maybe though - I can convince the admiral to steal her little digital camera with all the fancy buttons and bells on it... hmmmm.

-Adam

Edited by SkerryAmp

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

So, spent a little time tonight doing some work on the Mayflower.  Real work got in the way of my "schedule" so the others didn't get any attention.

Just wanted to get the nails done, stain them up and decorate the doors.   Now they blend in quite a bit better and the details pop a bit more. 

Starting to take shape!

Here is the bow as it stands now....(with a before and after just for fun :D )

post-61-0-81266300-1374196960_thumb.jpgpost-61-0-08397900-1374196961_thumb.jpg

But then I tilted the camera a little for a better picture and UHT OH - Missed some stain,  will have to hit that as part of tomorrow's activities.

post-61-0-35580800-1374196961_thumb.jpg

And the Stern & Windows.

post-61-0-95162600-1374196959_thumb.jpgpost-61-0-63116400-1374196961_thumb.jpg

And that there is tonight's update of Ye Happy Ole Mayflower!!!

Thank you all for stopping by - stay tuned for the next episode..  Same Bat Time,   Same Bat Channel - and :omg: I'm dating myself!

Enjoy all!!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

No worries Adam........your progress really looks good!..   you think you camera savy looks bad......look back on some of the snaps I've taken....LOL!   I still don't know what half the buttons do on my  'time replicator'   {it doesn't even qualify the camera status}  I'm even afraid to take it outside........for fear that someone would drive by an' holler out the window........."TOURIST!"  :)

that's not a boo boo,  by the way..........it's just something you haven't done yet ;)    now if the ship was finished and it wasn't done.......now THAT'S a boo boo.   your doing a swell job Adam.........keep it up!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thank you gentlemen!!  Much appreciated.

And you're right, not a booboo.  it was more of a me thinking outloud - feeling all good about having it done then lifiting the camera and saying UHTOH, not as done as I thought =)

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings, Salutations and Hello Happy Modelers!

Work has continued on all fronts, the Mayflower included.  So far this is my favorite build of the three - I think it is because things are clicking for the most part and it is moving along.

I have started putting the posts and rails in and it is beginning to look more like the Mayflower (always nice with some of those goal moments where things begin to change the look and feel of the ship - I like it!).

I used Swiss Pear for the posts to give it some color and a slightly dark compliment to the rest of the ship.  The same wood and tint used on the hatches and the grates which help tie it all together. 

The foredeck is together and ready to go and posts have begun getting installed along the main deck.  Tedius, but each one looks a bit better :P

Had a little bit of stress damage on the foredeck bulkhead, but that will be filled and sanded out with little issue so not to worried about it.

Once all of the posts and rails are in I will be sanding it with the same 10:2ish ratio of natural to golden oak to blend all the woods together.

Oh - here are the pics!

Posts started getting installed,  I used a scrap piece of lumber to get the spacing.  The foredeck is a little of but i got it right later.  Luckily it isn't SO far off that it jumps out at you, it still looks good and "works" but to me it was a DERNIT!!!  moment. :angry:   A thin piece of basswood is used arond the edges of the inside deck which not only acts as waterways but also hides those oopsie not so nice cuts... so, wait, what not so nice cuts - can't see em; they don't exist!! :P

post-61-0-23883600-1375322311_thumb.jpg

Railings are up,  spaced 1/8 inch off the side - again using scrap lumber to maintain the spacing all around.

post-61-0-53949200-1375322311_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-79754100-1375322311_thumb.jpg

Started working the main deck posts and will continue around and rail them. Then sand, finish and stain everything to blend it all together =)

post-61-0-07964700-1375322312_thumb.jpg

Thank you all for stopping by and following along, the company and kind words and interest are appreciated!   Great crowd here at MSW!!!

Enjoy and Happy Modeling!!! :dancetl6:

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Nice work on the posts.  Interested in seeing how that stain ratio looks on the pear.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

nice work Adam ;)   your work has that  flare to it.......kind of an antique look that is not too dark,  that would hide the subtle detail. are you going to second plank the hull? 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

It's very nice. This is your first model and you are doing it really well :) It looks really convincing. Be my guest and visit my building log. Rgards, Paweł

Paweł

Current build: HMS Pandora: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3409-hms-pandora-by-jastrz%C4%85b-constructo-185/

Finished projects:

Roar Ege 1:25, Billing Boats

Albatros 1:55, Constructo

Santa Maria 1:50, Mantua

Hello All - thanks for stopping by and for the kind words!

@Augie: Thank you sir.  I like the color over the pear.  I did it on the hatches and it is dark enough to stain the bass and boxwood nicely but light enough to "enhance" the pear without taking color out or tinting it too much.  

@Russ: Thanks!  They are time consuming and oh so monotonous which so far is the only part of the hobby I struggle with a lot and tend to slow down a bit.  But, trudging through I am!!

@Popeye: Thank you!  I did the darker stain on the Phantom and it just struck me as too dark for my tastes, so after playing with colors I came up with this. I like the lighter color although on future boats I will be working to vary a bit so all of my boats don't look the same.  I will be doing a second plank on her,  I most likely will only second plank down to the wales  below the cannon doors.  The bottom of the hull is painted so am going to save material and just smooth the heck out of it and paint it up =)   I will have to blend the lowest level of planking a bit to make it look right, but I think I can pull it off.

The stanchions are still in the works, as I mentioned above they are quite monotonous so I switched over the willie a bit to break from it but will be getting back to it very shortly!

- Enjoy!

Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Thank you very much sir!  Appreciated.

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

did you just change your avatar?   must be getting ready for the fall season  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

did you just change your avatar?   must be getting ready for the fall season  :)

Yeah, changed it this morning.  Figured it was about time - it has only been a year going with the blank avatar and with Football season starting I decided why the heck not =)

Hi Adam,

A question out of your build?

Are you a fan of New England Patriots?

I am indeed.  Been a fan for a long long time =)  So it seemed fitting for the season at least :D

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds