Mayflower by SkerryAmp - Model Shipways - 5/32" = 1'

Hey Adam.....just catch'n up on your build....... it's looking really nice, you'er  doing an excellent job, I think your new avatar has given you

some super modeling powers !!  :D .... or is it the addition of Tebow??? :D

frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

I was following NFL through ESPN but unfortunately the channel stopped its broadcast to Europe... t2424.gif

Ouch, that is rough my friend - maybe they will bring it back!  I know the NFL is trying very hard to branch out into europe, but seems to be a bit on the horizon for that one!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Hey Adam.....just catch'n up on your build....... it's looking really nice, you'er  doing an excellent job, I think your new avatar has given you

some super modeling powers !!  :D .... or is it the addition of Tebow??? :D

frank

Thanks Frank! Appreciate that.

Well not sure if the avatar has givien me super powers yet - does make me feel a little more "me" though. That anonymous little one was making me a bit self conscious I think hehehe.

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

May I ask a question about Patriots? Which is the main emblem? Your avatar or this?

My avatar is their old emblem from the 70s up until the early 90s or so.

The one you put up is their current one.

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you both -  David; it's okay you are a packers fan, they aren't in the same division (and quite honestly I enjoy watching Rodgers play).

Drake - nice to see another NE fan; how do they treat you down there in the carolinas :D !

Thanks to both for the kind words...  I have been incredibly busy as of late with this that and the other but as it so happens I have the mayflower sitting right here in front of me and will be doing some work on her tonight!!!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

May as well burn some midnight oil :)  :)

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

May as well burn some midnight oil :)  :)

That's the plan :D

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Adam, sorry I haven't looked in recently, been a bit swamped. Your build is progressing well, and great attitude "if you can't see it, then the flaw isn't there"!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Hi Adam,

Just wanted to drop a line and say thanks for your great build log!  I'm currently building the Mayflower as well - I just attached the bulwark templates this evening -  and I must say your log has been an invaluable resource, full of lots of helpful tips and tricks (thanks for the idea of using wood putty for the treenails)!

Keep up the good work!

Arthur

Arthur,  Thank you and glad I can be of some help!

Robby,  oh - I understand being busy - fear not.  I had to finally force myself to neglect some things just for a night or two to get SOMETHING done on this here ship of mine.    I followed the addage others have put up where even a single dead eye is progress :D

Thank you all for the patience and for checking in, it is appreciated.    I took last night and some of tonight and said to heck with it - SOMETHING is getting glued on this ship.   That something isn't very sexy I am afraid and amounts to exactly 29 more stanchions for the railings. Pretty straightforward just like the others.  I cut some pear a bit longer than needed and glued them in place using a scrap bit of lumber for even spacing.   Once the rails are on at the right hight will just trim them down and sand them slanted/rounded at the tops to blend them all in.

Still a number to go, but a bit slow going lining them up and getting them to stay put.  I got a little ansy and started to glue some down a HAIR before others were dry.  Sheesh,  tempermental little things.  So , had to back up,  chill a bit and slow the pace some.

More coming, but wanted to at least get SOMETHING done!!!

post-61-0-89782000-1380169052_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-16938200-1380169053_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-50637000-1380169053_thumb.jpg

Will continue the stanchions tomorrow and Friday,  goal is to have railings done by weekend and second/final planking being worked on next week!!

Until then folks...

Enjoy!!!!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Adam -

While those two argue over who gets to ask for more pictures, please accept my kindest regards and acknowledgment of a nice bit of progress.  Ye Olde Ship Mayflower is taking form nicely, and shows every indication of that her shipwright is providing her with appropriate attention and care.  Nicely done, Sir - looks very good!   

p.s.  More pictures are always appreciated as well, but not a necessity for some of us....

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Well done, Adam.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

yepper!   sometimes you have to ignore the whims of the people,  and do something to satisfy yourself.  I have also been suffering the same fate......time for me to break out as well ;)

anything done is considered progress in my book........what you've done is not little.  it adds a lot of character to the deck......going to look sweet when the cap rails are in place.   I'll look forward in seeing what you do with the hull planking.  slow and steady ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

If the fundement, the inward was good, the skin, the outward would be perfect...

Very nice, very shapely...

Want more pictures... m0938.gif

** Hehehe Ferit - thank you much, and more pictures are on their way. Promise.   Will be getting some more up tomorrow!

He Ferit,

These words are mine !!!! PICTURES !

Nice progress Adam !

Looks great !

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Thank you Sjors, appreciate that!

Adam -

While those two argue over who gets to ask for more pictures, please accept my kindest regards and acknowledgment of a nice bit of progress.  Ye Olde Ship Mayflower is taking form nicely, and shows every indication of that her shipwright is providing her with appropriate attention and care.  Nicely done, Sir - looks very good!   

p.s.  More pictures are always appreciated as well, but not a necessity for some of us....

Very eloquent Wayne!! And accepted.  More coming though - one of the nice things about getting back to it after a bit is catching a little of that bug again and wanting to get more done! :D

Well done, Adam.

Thank you sir!

yepper!   sometimes you have to ignore the whims of the people,  and do something to satisfy yourself.  I have also been suffering the same fate......time for me to break out as well ;)

anything done is considered progress in my book........what you've done is not little.  it adds a lot of character to the deck......going to look sweet when the cap rails are in place.   I'll look forward in seeing what you do with the hull planking.  slow and steady ;)

Thanks popeye.  I have settled on my plan for the planking.  Am goign to plank it down to the wale? (still getting my terms under me).  Below that is painted Tallow so planked or not won't show =(.  So will smooth it out with some putty and diligent sanding and paint that.  The wale is a bit thicker so the transition will look natural.  Kind of getting anxious to get that part.  I can see it in my head now (not just in the plans) so am hoping it translates onto the ship.

I didn't update anything tonight, just more stanchions going up (seen one, seen em all kind of thing) but tomorrow will have more "meat" to show.

Enjoy!!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Good Evening!

Well, been a good night.  Got some work done on the Mayflower, Patriots won and are 4 - 0, and managed to wrap up a major PITA project for work.    Good night, good night indeed.

As promised - some meat!!  (well, not real meat - leaving that to the others with their lobsters, venison, and whatever else is getting tossed on the barbeque!

This meat is more May flower.

When we last left our hero - it was stanchions.  Stanchions, stanchions and more stanchions.  Very repetitive stuff,  but did change the look of the ship quite a bit.

First,  the stanchions all in place.   It was very straight forward.  Just a great reliance on spacers =)   I have a couple of little booboo's,  without any idea how to overcome them so most likely they will be disguised somehow.   They are not major booboo's but just a little annoying.

post-61-0-11597400-1380516008_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-41581400-1380516008_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-77574400-1380516008.jpg

Once those all dried and were relatively stable it was time to start attaching the railings.   Again, spacers - spacers everywhere!!.   Dropped a spacer, installed a railing and clamped!   Waited until the glue was set but not dry and removed the spacer (very carefully).

post-61-0-08286900-1380516009_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-55599000-1380516009_thumb.jpg

And now - we have a Mayflower with some nifty railings in place!

post-61-0-95516800-1380516009_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-29614800-1380516010_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-69986400-1380516010_thumb.jpg

As you can see, they are a bit rough.  That is where we leave them for the night.  Once the glue has had time to dry overnight I will be going at them with the filler and sandpaper to get them cleaned up and ready for the second planking.

Ahh, feels very good to be back at the bench.    Wonderful way to watch the game!!

As always, thank you much for stopping by and Enjoy!!!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

just as long....you don't go too crazy at the touch down!  :D    ....don't want to see your ship go flying!   very nice job with the railings......... stanchions give her a really cool touch.......thumbs up!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hehe, nah.. not to crazy ....  I remain quite reserved for the first 3/4 of the season.   I start to get excited as it closes in on playoff time =)  However, you do bring up a good point. I may want to consider mayflower protection plans just in case.

Thank you for the thumbs up my friend, appreciate that.   The stanchions do add a dimension to it that wasn't there.  One of those steps that seems to move it along and transition it.

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Well, spent some more time at the work bench tonight.

PLANKING has begun! :champagne-popping-smiley-emotic

Basically started off by sanding down the hull as much as possible to remove any bumps, glue blotches etc etc.  really any imperfections that could cause a bump in the strips.  Once taht was done,  laid down the initial wale plank and then started moving up from there!

Really surprised how well it is going down so far.  I only have 3 trouble spots so far which I am not QUITE sure how to handle.  

• At the bow there is a bit of a ridge in the bend.  I am hoping I can lightly sand it round - but will see.
  • The second, Not sure what I was thinking but I didn't bring the planks back far enough to blend with the braces on the stern.  After looking at the pics and comparing them they are supposed to run up and along the braces... but alas mine do not.  Only two so far,  the others will so I may be able to take small peices of lumber and just glue them on.
  • And finally,  I used a little alcohol to clean some errant glue off the planks and :o it smeared the archive ink :angry: .  Am debating on whether to Bleach it a bit to bring it back to pale tan/white. OR leave it and let it add character to the overall finish.

I hope =(

But, shall figure it out.  By all means, any suggestions are very much appreciated!

So far only 6 rows of planks are laid.  Tomorrow I plan to finish up at least the one side and then move to the others.  Ideall having the initial second planking done by the end of the week and use the weekend to put up the trim etc.

post-61-0-68991300-1380599427_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-12032900-1380599428_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-47703600-1380599428.jpg

As always, thanks for stopping in!

Enjoy!!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

Hey, you really won the Triple Crown these last 2 days.  Great work on Mayflower, your Pats are right in there and work under control.  GREAT.

You are also in luck.  Our Broncos are 4-0................... but I aint a football fan!!!!

Don't know what to tell you on the ink.  One of those things you have to just 'play with' until YOU are satisfied. 

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

your planking looks like it is flush with that upper bulwark  {panel?)........are you going to be using .5mm planking,  going up from there?

is there a wales strip to be covering this line?  if so,  that may help you with the bow problem.  I see the non-conformity your talking about.......just round it off and cover it up...nothing to it ;)

the brace problem doesn't look too bad either.  follow the way your going,  and as the brace begins to thicken,  follow it and stay the same distance from the edge.   create the same curvature as the brace.......this will blend the counter / transom line,  and give you a nice rounded look.  there is another curvature further down......be sure to follow the shape of the stern.   I need to do the same thing with the Half moon........these ships have this distinctive stern shape.......the high back and rounded stern 'belly' really sets them apart from the others.  is that second planking 1mm thick?   I've always seen the second planking done with .5mm planking.........it's not a bad thing,  but I would imagine that it would add thickness to gun ports,  window casings,  and eat up the overhang of the cap rails.

I've never used archive ink for the outer hull planking.  I really like what it does to the inner bulkwarks........the idea you have in making it stand out in this aspect,  is a very big plus.......adds more depth to the stanchions.   blotch boo boos do happen though......try light sanding combined with the use of a pink eraser.   it may take out most of it........if your staining it,  this will also hide some of it.......just go a bit darker in this area........no hull is uniform in shading....you do have a bit of lee-way here.

it looks really nice so far.......just make sure that you are flush with the sterm wall / stern cap {transom / counter},  so the second planking will lay flat against at the edge {it will hide the mating gaps}.   I'm sure that the wales are 1.8mm thick.......laying them over what you have now is going to make them stand out well.   if the mating between the second planking and the bulwark {panel?} is flush,  you may run into a problem here,  in keeping with the wale protrusion.   these will need to be cemented in place before you continue up the bulwarks.   to plank with what your using would cause you to lose thickness with the wales.....they do sell blonde .5mm strip stock to thwart this from happening.

I do hope I'm wet behind the ears on the flush thing........but if this is the case,  I hope something I mentioned helps you in some way

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hey, you really won the Triple Crown these last 2 days.  Great work on Mayflower, your Pats are right in there and work under control.  GREAT.

You are also in luck.  Our Broncos are 4-0................... but I aint a football fan!!!!

Don't know what to tell you on the ink.  One of those things you have to just 'play with' until YOU are satisfied. 

I did indeed!!!  (Trying to not get too excited by it as there are still other things in the wings which are moving along but could very easily grab all my time if not careful so ssssh. don't want to draw to much attention!)

And it is okay not being a FB fan - but yes,  Broncs are 4-0; I actually hope to see a brady/manning playoff game; those are lots of fun.

I think I am going to just sand out the planking and see where it lays.  I doubt I will get it all out but it will add character!! =)

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

You're making great progress Adam, she looks great!  :D

Oh and.... welcome to the Jungle (this coming Sunday)....... Tom's getting kinda old and tired so don't feel bad when they leave town with a 4 - 1 record  :P

(Okay... it is kind of hard to talk smack as a bengals fan but I feel duty bound)  :mellow: 

Thank you sir... and I TOTALLY understand the duty bound.   Many people forget the patriots were not always like they have been the last decade or so.  There were many, many, many, many years of being a fan but wearing a bag over my head during conversations LOL.   Am sure it will be a good game though - the bengals aren't all that bad at all (could be worse, they could be the browns :o )

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds

your planking looks like it is flush with that upper bulwark  {panel?)........are you going to be using .5mm planking,  going up from there?

is there a wales strip to be covering this line?  if so,  that may help you with the bow problem.  I see the non-conformity your talking about.......just round it off and cover it up...nothing to it ;)

the brace problem doesn't look too bad either.  follow the way your going,  and as the brace begins to thicken,  follow it and stay the same distance from the edge.   create the same curvature as the brace.......this will blend the counter / transom line,  and give you a nice rounded look.  there is another curvature further down......be sure to follow the shape of the stern.   I need to do the same thing with the Half moon........these ships have this distinctive stern shape.......the high back and rounded stern 'belly' really sets them apart from the others.  is that second planking 1mm thick?   I've always seen the second planking done with .5mm planking.........it's not a bad thing,  but I would imagine that it would add thickness to gun ports,  window casings,  and eat up the overhang of the cap rails.

I've never used archive ink for the outer hull planking.  I really like what it does to the inner bulkwarks........the idea you have in making it stand out in this aspect,  is a very big plus.......adds more depth to the stanchions.   blotch boo boos do happen though......try light sanding combined with the use of a pink eraser.   it may take out most of it........if your staining it,  this will also hide some of it.......just go a bit darker in this area........no hull is uniform in shading....you do have a bit of lee-way here.

it looks really nice so far.......just make sure that you are flush with the sterm wall / stern cap {transom / counter},  so the second planking will lay flat against at the edge {it will hide the mating gaps}.   I'm sure that the wales are 1.8mm thick.......laying them over what you have now is going to make them stand out well.   if the mating between the second planking and the bulwark {panel?} is flush,  you may run into a problem here,  in keeping with the wale protrusion.   these will need to be cemented in place before you continue up the bulwarks.   to plank with what your using would cause you to lose thickness with the wales.....they do sell blonde .5mm strip stock to thwart this from happening.

I do hope I'm wet behind the ears on the flush thing........but if this is the case,  I hope something I mentioned helps you in some way

Always helpful my friend, always helpful!

The flushness is a trick of the camera - they are 1/32" planks so at that angle they look flush.

There are in fact two wales one lower (below the gunports) and one upper (just above the gunports) which will pop out from the rest of the planking. I think I will go with your idea for the curvature - I think that will be the best way to go (well the best way would be pop off the planks, recut and relay them... but uhm...yeah...... hehe.

Pink eraser, Never thought of that!   Never thought of erasing on wood... heh.    I think that may help take it down some.  If I can get it to a grayish I think it will add some character so the pink eraser may just do that. Thank you!!

You are so on with the character,  it is funny but looking at the pictures it never really "stood out" i gues, but working the transom make sit more appreciative of what is involved back there.   My problem is sanding the ends to keep them smooth and a nice flowing run without sanding the already stained part on the transom itself --- :o   ---  very stressful!!

Thank you sir,  great ideas and much less panicky now hehehe.

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Completed Builds

Decommissioned Builds