I had trimmed some fig ivy in my back yard last year and had saved several crooked pieces and set off to the side. This week I cleaned them up and removed the bark. The wood is cream color, has no visible grain and the wood is hard as all get out. Has any one ever used this wood or know where I can find information about wood and has any one in the Community used this wood?

20201130_204921.jpg

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line

Sounds really interesting. I've never used this but I'd be interested to know how it behaves.

It's sure not very well known, but that doesn't mean it's not good for modeling. Backyard ornamentals can produce some great modeling wood, too small for commercial purposes, but still great for small stuff. 

It's basically a climbing fig and part of the large ficus family. It's not in the wood database online.  This may be of some interest::

https://uses.plantnet-project.org/en/Ficus_(PROSEA_Timbers)

Yes i spent several hours on internet looking for reference to fig ivy wood before i posted this here, the next step will be the library ... a little difficult right now.

I can not believe how hard it is!

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Bob Thanks for the link!

https://uses.plantnet-project.org/en/Ficus_(PROSEA_Timbers)

A prostrate or climbing shrub, reaching up to 10 m or more, creeping and clinging close to walls or tree trunks by means of numerous aerial rootlets, ultimate branches 30-80 cm long, erect.

Leaves dimorphous, two-ranked, on sterile branches ovate, 1.5-3 cm long and shortly petioled, on fertile branches oblong, 5-10 cm long and with long petioles; figs solitary in the axils of leaves, pyriform, 40-60 mm long, yellow-brown pilose when young, ripening glabrous, red to dark blue.

Male flowers in many rows, filling the distal half of the fig, stipitate with 2-3 stamens, female flowers sessile or shortly stipitate.

F. pumila is an increasingly common feature in urban areas.

I will definitely save as much of the larger pieces that  I can when I do cut it down, this plant will take over and does grow fast!

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

A close reading of the information supplied by the link indicates that this is a genus whose wood would not be all that useful for scale model work.

The required effort, I would spend on harvesting fruit wood.   The various citrus species possibly available should yield much better stock.  If the desert

allows for, any of the street side ornamental Pear species produce worthwhile wood stock.  If small parts such as blocks are a target,  Briar and Boxwood and Hawthorn

repay any effort spent on their harvest.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers