Bulwarks: ply vs solid wood

I am building the Syren and am not really happy with the plywood used for the bulkheads.  I thought I had read that plywood was preferred for some reason but cannot recall if that is accurate.

Thus my question, what wood is best for the frame and bulkheads?

Thank You,

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

One other advantage of plywood is that it has several wood layers with grain running in opposite directions, making it much tougher compared to using solid wood.

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Both very good answers.

A disadvantage is that it tends to be difficult to bend.  Soaking and steaming for bending causes the layers to de-laminate unless you are using outdoor grade plywood..

I have used basswood to make bulkheads by using thin pieces and laminating them together using a mold I built from scrap wood to achieve the desired curve.

PROWE

If someone says something can't be done, it only means they can't do it.

Building:Shipyard - HMS Mercury card madel

Completed Builds:

Wood Models; AL Bluenose II 1989, Corel Toulonnaise 1995, Corel Flying Fish 2000, AL Scottish Maid 2005,

Sergal President 2010, Mamoli Beagle 2011, Corel Eagle 2013, Mamoli Constitution Cross-section 2014, Victory Cross-section 1/98 by Corel 2015, Occre San Francisco Cable Car 2018, Model Shipways Armed Long Boat 2021

Card Models

Christmas Train by PaperReplika 2012, Yamaha DSC11 Motorcycle 2013, Canon EOS 5D Mark II 2014, WWII Tiger I Tank by Paper-Replika 2014, Wrebbit Mercedes-Benz 500K Roadster 2014, Central Pacific no. 60 Jupiter card model 2015, Mirage III 1/30 converted to 1/33 card model 2017, TKpapercraft 1912 Mercer 2021

I am not sure if price/cost is an issue.  I can get either modeling plywood (1/8") or basswood for reasonable price at Michael's.  The warping and strength, however are my major issues.  I use (usually 1/8") modeling birch plywood for my bulkheads (frames versus walls) and have had no problems with delaminating. 

Strength is a particular issue when dealing with the thin upright stantions for the bulwarks, such as on SYREN,  I never sand my stantions down to the desired width until the outer planking is in place, but even still there are breakage issues with basswood (see '18th Centrury Longboat breakaway stem piece').

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

A disadvantage is that it tends to be difficult to bend. 

I think bending won't be needed when you're making bulkheads, in fact, that's exactly what you're trying to avoid when it comes to bulkheads.... we want them to be stiff and durable so that they are not deformed or damaged during planking, hence retaining the lines of the ship.

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Thank you all.  I saw mention of Birch Plywood.  Is that the preferred plywood for frames and bulkheads?

Richard

Richard

Birch plywood is used by model airplane (R/C) builders.  It is light and strong.  I can get the really thin stuff (less than 1/16th") at the local hobby shop.  For bulkheads I prefer 1/8"...which I can get at Michael's.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

This has been very helpful. I appreciate all your responses.

Richard

Richard

Richard,

Sorry, my answer was completely out of line.  You are asking about bulkheads and I'm thinking bulwarks. DUH!

Indeed, you do want to use plywood for the bulkheads as was said because there is less chance of warping and because of multi-grain direction the plywood is much stronger.

Most of the kits I have built used plywood for the middle part of the bulwarks and it was necessary to bend them to follow the contour of the ship. That is the basis for my incorrect answer.

I'm getting close to where I will soon be able to hide my own Easter eggs.

PROWE

Completed Builds:

Wood Models; AL Bluenose II 1989, Corel Toulonnaise 1995, Corel Flying Fish 2000, AL Scottish Maid 2005,

Sergal President 2010, Mamoli Beagle 2011, Corel Eagle 2013, Mamoli Constitution Cross-section 2014, Victory Cross-section 1/98 by Corel 2015, Occre San Francisco Cable Car 2018, Model Shipways Armed Long Boat 2021

Card Models

Christmas Train by PaperReplika 2012, Yamaha DSC11 Motorcycle 2013, Canon EOS 5D Mark II 2014, WWII Tiger I Tank by Paper-Replika 2014, Wrebbit Mercedes-Benz 500K Roadster 2014, Central Pacific no. 60 Jupiter card model 2015, Mirage III 1/30 converted to 1/33 card model 2017, TKpapercraft 1912 Mercer 2021

Bogeygolpher,

I'll tell you what is "Duh"... I had to look up Bulwark in my Lankford "How to..." book to know what you were writing about.

Richard

Richard

• 1 month later...

One problem I see with plywood bulheads is tumblehome, on a lot of older ships anyway, the the bulwarks curved inward slightly, more so towards the stern...at least on the hull I'm trying to figure out! At 1/96th (1/8th =1ft.) scale I'm planning to use 1mm or 1.5 and am hoping it'll handle a curve in two directions, always fun! Any thoughts? It would probably be better to use individual stanchions, but at this scale they're rather small sections.

F

I thought the reason for using plywood (and birch plywood at that) is to prevent bending? See the june 26 post from Janos which is above.

Richard

Richard

The problem with this thread from the outset is that the title says "Bulwarks" yet the discussion seems to be about "bulkheads".

2 entirely different issues as I see it.  

Most Bulwarks do indeed bend to follow the shape of the deck in my experience.  Therefore, whatever material is used needs to be able to bent.

The opposite is true for bulkheads.  You usually do not want that material bending, meaning plywood is a very good choice.

PROWE

Completed Builds:

Card Models

your right, the title says bulwark while the first post discusses bulkheads. It was bulkheads I intended to discuss.

Mea Culpa.

Richard.

Richard

Absolutely no problem.  

For most of us building ship models required learning an entirely new set of terms.

Welcome to the club.

PROWE

Completed Builds:

Card Models