New Member in Oregon

Hello All,  

I've been building scratch models for some 10 years now-- everything from Aboriginal Australian canoes to C-3 freighters. Am enchanted with the diverse world of navigation, and I'm enjoying the variety (and skills in making!) in the galleries here.  I'm an amateur builder; keeps the hands and mind busy!

Best, Harvey

Harvey, welcome to MSW.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Welcome Harvey to MSW! Sounds like you really know what you are doing, make sure to start a build log so we can follow your progress.

Bradley

Current Builds:

Flying Fish - Model Shipways - 1:96

Future Builds:

Young America 1853 - Scratch Build - 1:72

Completed Builds:

HMS Racehorse - Mantua - 1:47 (No pictures unfortunately)

Providence Whale Boat - Artesania Latina - 1:25 (Also no pictures)

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Shelved Builds:

Pride of Baltimore 2 - Model Shipways - 1:64 (Also no pictures)

:piratebo5:and welcome to MSW 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Hi Harvey and welcome to Model Ship World.  If you get a chance, please share some pictures of your models.  We would like to see your work. 

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Welcome to MSW, Harvey from a fellow Oregonian.  Do give some thought to doing build logs as they're a great way to get help and make friends.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 hour ago, Harvey Golden said:

I grew up in Lane County (Junction City), but no relation to C. M. Golden.

That would've been quite the coincidence. I was working on my family tree (19,500+ persons) at lunch and just happened to be working on the entry for a 1st cousin 3x removed for whom Clarence Golden was a second husband.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Hi Harvey, and welcome to MSW. Do you have a next project planned? I'd highly recommend you start a build log. A good way to get to know the people here, and get help and encouragement. The instructions are here: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/24705-before-you-post-your-build-log-please-read-this-starting-and-naming-your-build-log/

Living where I do, I wouldn't mind seeing some photos of your canoe.

Steven

9 hours ago, ccoyle said:

That would've been quite the coincidence. I was working on my family tree (19,500+ persons) at lunch and just happened to be working on the entry for a 1st cousin 3x removed for whom Clarence Golden was a second husband.

Such coincidences do happen. . . I met a long-lost family member by incredible chance once. Always worth asking.  We are all related if you go back far enough. 

8 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

Hi Harvey, and welcome to MSW. Do you have a next project planned? I'd highly recommend you start a build log. A good way to get to know the people here, and get help and encouragement. The instructions are here: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/24705-before-you-post-your-build-log-please-read-this-starting-and-naming-your-build-log/

Living where I do, I wouldn't mind seeing some photos of your canoe.

Steven

Thank you Steven!  I have my next 275 projects in mind. . . (!)  Here's a peek at my Australian canoes, with the source for form/construction: 

IMG_7845.jpg

IMG_7847.jpg

Ah and on the cover of the book I can see a "canoe tree", from which a panel of bark has been stripped to make the canoe . If you keep your eyes open you often see them out in the countryside.

Simple, but apparently very worthwhile vessels if you knew how to deal with them.

Hi Harvey, another warm welcome  from the UK.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I've been to Astoria frequently in the past.   Neat place to just wander about.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Harvey, Warm :sign:,

Astoria is a beautiful place, visited the place several times.

Last time was two years ago, delivering a 3d printed Tug and Barge to the Tongue Point Job Corps Seamanship program.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Welcome Harvey,
in the magical world of naval modeling, I see that you like canoes, I am attaching the image of an ancient canoe made with papyrus and dry straw used for fishing, they are still built in Sardinia, it is a primitive boat, thousands of old years and still alive in the ponds of Cabras and Mar'e Pontis are called "fassoni"

Fassone-sardo.jpg.9a9578323f63f443a4ad1a07e77bc2bd.jpg

again, welcome

luponero

Lupo nero

finished models  Carrack Santa Maria by luponero - scale 1/50 - diagrams of Adametz   

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19739-carrack-santa-maria-by-luponero-scale-150-diagrams-of-adametz-finished/

models under construction Athenian triere of the 5th century B.C  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25956-athenian-triere-of-the-5th-century-bc/ 

San Giovanni Battista 1598 by luponero - Medicean galleon  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25930-san-giovanni-battista-1598-by-luponero-medicean-galleon/                                           

Thank you Luponero!  I'm quite interested in "reed" boats as they are/were fairly ubiquitous 'round the world at certain latitudes.  It's my hunch schedule craft were likely the first vessels created by humans, as they don't necessarily require any tools at all.  I'd heard of them from Sardinia, so it is nice to not only see a photograph, but to see they still exist there. Here in Oregon-- they still exist as well, occasionally still being made by the Northern Paiute out near the community of Burns.  Once the pandemic passes, I'd like to make one with them. Thank you, and thank you all. 

You're very good Harvey,
I saw the canoes you make, beautiful !!!
It seems that the canoes they make in Sardinia are similar to those made in Peru on Lake Titicaca by the pre-Columbian populations.
I wish you to canoe with the Paiute natives very soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ATDR7FfVxc

with regard

black Wolf

Lupo nero

finished models  Carrack Santa Maria by luponero - scale 1/50 - diagrams of Adametz   

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19739-carrack-santa-maria-by-luponero-scale-150-diagrams-of-adametz-finished/

models under construction Athenian triere of the 5th century B.C  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25956-athenian-triere-of-the-5th-century-bc/ 

San Giovanni Battista 1598 by luponero - Medicean galleon  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25930-san-giovanni-battista-1598-by-luponero-medicean-galleon/