FINISHED - 1970 Baldwin Motion Camaro - AMT - 1:25 Scale

CDW

AMT did it in green plastic? I remember them normally in white. Guess since it's a Special. I'm in. front row.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Ah, there's my easy chair..... American Classic Muscle Car??    I'm here...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Thanks gentlemen, glad you're here.

The car body is disappointing. Hoped it would be a nice, retooled mold, but no dice. The top and the hood have some sink marks which I will spend a little time filling, but the location of the sink marks in the hood are in a real bad place, being right smack dab in the sheet metal roll where it shapes up to the induction cowl. One of the head lights is mis-shaped and will look odd. Oh well, it is what it is. Not going to try to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but will make it presentable as possible without spending an inordinate amount of time on it.

1 hour ago, Canute said:

AMT did it in green plastic? I remember them normally in white. Guess since it's a Special. I'm in. front row.

And an ugly green plastic at that. 😄 Don't know why they do that crap. 🤥  

Guess I missed all the chairs, looks like the rafters for me, I'm in too🙂

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

8 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

Guess I missed all the chairs, looks like the rafters for me, I'm in too🙂

Apparently Craig has set up a hammock  - but everyone is rushing for it.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thats a good recovery mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Welcome to the rafters Edward. I do have a spare hammock that is a perfect fit to stretch between two rafters. Quite comfy really. I'm in as always.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

10 hours ago, CDW said:

Thanks gentlemen, glad you're here.

The car body is disappointing. Hoped it would be a nice, retooled mold, but no dice. The top and the hood have some sink marks which I will spend a little time filling, but the location of the sink marks in the hood are in a real bad place, being right smack dab in the sheet metal roll where it shapes up to the induction cowl. One of the head lights is mis-shaped and will look odd. Oh well, it is what it is. Not going to try to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but will make it presentable as possible without spending an inordinate amount of time on it.

And an ugly green plastic at that. 😄 Don't know why they do that crap. 🤥  

Those kits were pitched to kids, so less painting, I suppose.

I was a MOPAR guy in those days. My brothers in the frat had Chargers and Barracudas; my roommate had a 440 GTX. Me, a 68 Charger. Hot machines all.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Great subject Craig, and nice save.  It's amazing how much better the molding is on newer kits compared with the ones from a few decades ago.  Too bad for cars like this you generally need to look at the older stuff.

1 hour ago, Canute said:

Those kits were pitched to kids, so less painting, I suppose.

I was a MOPAR guy in those days. My brothers in the frat had Chargers and Barracudas; my roommate had a 440 GTX. Me, a 68 Charger. Hot machines all.

I'm jealous!  I was driving my mom's old Nissan Sentra in grad school, and with three kids, I was driving a minivan for the last few years (though just bought myself an SUV).  I told my wife I'm getting a 60s-early 70s muscle car when I retire.  I'll be old and not single, but still worth it!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

that was the initial aim of colored plastic.....a fair number of ship kits were even done in multi colored plastic.  it's not a bad thing,  but folks found that they had to prime their model before paint them the color they actually wanted.  I kinda like that color......rather close to a Brunswick Green.  hard to see the imperfection in the early pictures......the big thing I usually see are mould lines and pin marks ;)  {usually in all the critical places}.

I know that price tag.....just can't place it.........HobbyTown perhaps  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

1 hour ago, popeye the sailor said:

hard to see the imperfection in the early pictures......the big thing I usually see are mould lines and pin marks ;)  {usually in all the critical places}.

I know that price tag.....just can't place it.........HobbyTown perhaps  :) 

I couldn't catch the light just right to show the imperfections, but the sanded filler will give you an idea of how severe it was.

In these first photos, I am showing how I damaged the radius where the hood meets the car body/windshield area while I was sanding the putty that filled the sink marks. To repair the damage, I glued on a short length of plastruct plastic rod to the hood then sanded/reshaped the plastruct to reconstruct the radius. 

IMG_1200.thumb.jpg.32590abc8daad3c58236e815304db620.jpgIMG_1201.thumb.jpg.c3c99d4049a4766bbac18a168941f0ac.jpgIMG_1206.thumb.jpg.ccd713f1cb6c6fb77e7c09230eb8a0dc.jpgIMG_1207.thumb.jpg.04c4ae4352f50993b93a871ee470d3e3.jpgIMG_1208.thumb.jpg.1c04d0355e38315aaae03439fc353d62.jpg

75% of the work to build a kit like this is preparing the body for paint, then priming and painting it. There are a lot of seams that need to be filled. primer will be applied, wet sanded, and primed again before finish paint is applied.

IMG_1202.thumb.jpg.8b9ac00dc407c56e182bc289985fcf3f.jpgIMG_1203.thumb.jpg.eaa381312d74d84c1770ccdaca2559b8.jpgIMG_1204.thumb.jpg.0a6aa32bfde9691e1e1d2db2e2ce889e.jpgIMG_1205.thumb.jpg.ae50d3ae204fbdd535884a58fbba709e.jpg

That looks fine, I can not see what you mention with the headlights  - I was thinking its got almost a Batmobile look especially in Black  with those sharp lines.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Looked like you were going for the Green Hornet Black Beauty look for a while there. Interesting choice of colors.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Nice Color....

1970-chevrolet-camaro-z28.jpg.38a7e47d5f64f6ce24a1f48d0d285a28.jpg

Sharp lookin car....

And an even better one....

78a23735d724d3c7916b8ed16599f4a3.jpg.7055e8061dd2cc6faa21487062f35b08.jpg

There's your car, (except it's in dark green)

maxresdefault.jpg.6a8b54c5caaf25c48070b7d1b2898b6f.jpg

Now you know why it was molded in Green.....

Edited by Egilman

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

30 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Looked like you were going for the Green Hornet Black Beauty look for a while there. Interesting choice of colors.

Now you know why I primered it in black, but I thought you would have picked that up earlier. Black is the correct primer for any silver finish.

29 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Nice Color....

Sharp lookin car....

And an even better one....

There's your car, (except it's in dark green)

Now you know why it was molded in Green.....

The plastic looked horrible before paint. Green plastic could not hide the ugly of the imperfections in the plastic. Green plastic only makes it more difficult to cover it with primer unless you do it it black primer. That dark green plastic would have required a lot of primer to do it in white. I am not a big fan of colored plastic for that reason. 

Edited by CDW

2 minutes ago, CDW said:

I am not a big fan of colored plastic for that reason.

Oh, I completely understand, and agree. Pick a color, white/grey plastic is best and teach people about proper primer coating....

Quote:

Your doing some fine work there mate  despite the hurdles  - you always come out ontop.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

If you were going to make it strictly a drag car, you could put some filler or plastic over the headlight area then paint it.   Back, for just drag strip racing, a lot of guys did that.   

When I had my Vega strip car, I used run against a few of them.  The 454 was sweet motor that needed minimal work (cam, carburation/injection, pistons and valve work) to turn it into a beast.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

15 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

I told my wife I'm getting a 60s-early 70s muscle car when I retire.  I'll be old and not single, but still worth it!

Did she reply with something like, "Are you sure about the not single part?" It may take you years of honey do's to gather enough points for a car like that.:D

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey