Watercraft in Ancient Art

bruce d

Quite interesting comparisons, hope it is useful to someone working on ancient craft.

arts-08-00165-v2.pdf

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Bruce,

Indeed, a very interesting read.

If the study of written documents and that of excavated objects have their special difficulties
and limitations, the interpretation of pictured records, forming a third division of historical
research
, also offers scope for philological and archaeological knowledge, as well as wide
experience and some psychological sense. We may ask then what measure of truth can be
reached in this third field, and particularly in that realm which is just now claiming special
attention—the precise valuation of such scenes as illuminate the international relations of
Egypt in the imperial period.

I'm only part way through it (lunch time reading ) and already I realise why there are so many references to old paintings, pottery etc on this website.... sometimes they are the only reference materials available.

Also, I hadn't appreciated the significance of the invention of SCUBA gear during WWII had on inspecting ancient ships lying on the ocean/river floor.

Thanks,

Richard

Fascinating paper. The principles in it relate not only to pictorial representations of ancient vessels but to any representation of a vessel that isn't photographic, no matter what its period. (And even photos can be misleading!)

I found it very informative and useful.