PWS-10 by ccoyle - FINISHED - CardPlane - 1/33 - CARD - Polish trainer c. 1930 - Two for One build

ccoyle

nice progress Chris........I think with the finished planes side by side,  one would never see the difference.  the only thing I see is a longer aileron surface.  the wings came out really nice!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks, Popeye. Not much has been done on this project lately (a little bit, though), since the canoe is currently getting all the available free time.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

• 4 weeks later...

OK Chris you just blew my mind!

I have not seen a card model built before and it look so real.

Is this hard to do?

Paul

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48

Completed Build: HM Cutter Cheerful-Syren Ship Models 1/48

Completed Build:  Artesania Latina Bluenose II

Completed Build Lady Nelson

10 hours ago, CDW said:

Just found your build log Chris. Beautiful work, very impressive. Had no idea paper model planes could come out so nice. I clearly see why you like the paper models. Got to give them a try.

Ah, thanks -- you flatter me! I'm not trying to be overly-humble when I say this, but I am truly only a card modeler of middling ability. Some guys do work that really defies belief, such as this Bf 109 F-4 done by Rustem Rezyapov from a Halinski kit:

g03216_3536423.jpg

51 minutes ago, PRS said:

OK Chris you just blew my mind!

I have not seen a card model built before and it look so real.

Is this hard to do?

Hard? Yes and no. The basic skills are really quite simple, e.g. cut, fold, and glue. But as in any medium, picking up the more nuanced skills that separate the masters from the masses takes a lot of practice.

Thanks again for the comments!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

• 2 weeks later...

From time to time I feel it necessary to prove that this build isn't dead. Slow, but not dead. Spanish Nationalist now has its wing mounted. Try as I might, I can't make myself sit and do all the struts at one go -- it's deathly boring. So it's a few here, a few there ... it'll be done eventually. Got all the exhaust pipes done, too, so yeah -- progress. 😆  And I just now noticed that not a single exhaust pipe is visible in the photo. 🤔

777867634_pws22.thumb.jpg.2c1d11e861c99e8d44475b1f20afe30e.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

are the struts brass rod or paper?   great progress......no matter how small ;)   looks great! 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, CDW said:

I see several or more varieties of glue on the work surface, are all of these various types used in the construction of card models?

I am always on the lookout for the 'perfect' card modeling glue -- haven't found it yet. I use a lot of good ol' wood glue. The stuff in the tube is contact cement, which is good for large surfaces. The clear Tacky Glue is a recent addition; it sets slower than wood glue and dries clear, but I don't find that it bonds as well as wood glue. One thing that I suck at is making canopies, and a big part of the problem is finding a glue that will bond paper to acetate without fogging the plastic. I had hoped that the clear Tacky Glue would do this task well, but it doesn't -- you can tack the paper and plastic together, but they will easily peel apart. The search continues!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Just now, ccoyle said:

The search continues!

When I first thought about doing a card model, someone suggested Rocket Glue to me and I bought some. Unfortunately it's just sat on my shelf as I never started a card model. Have you tried that brand?

This I found to be an excellent glue for clear canopies when I was building and flying RC models. Does not fog and dries clear. Super strong bond, but I have never tried it on paper. It's water based, and I do believe it should work with paper. I have never tried this particular dealer, I just came across it in a random internet search. It's on the shelf at my local hobby shop.

ZAP Formula 560 Canopy Glue – Strictly R/C Hobbies (strictlyrchobbies.com)

Good looking planes, Chris.  Hard to believe that they are paper.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Gorilla  PVA glue,   not sure about its canopy  use   but it sure works good on cardboard/wood.

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

This is the canopy glue you need. 

Pacer RC 560 dries clear and sticks great.

https://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=PACPT56

Paul

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48

Completed Build: HM Cutter Cheerful-Syren Ship Models 1/48

Completed Build:  Artesania Latina Bluenose II

Completed Build Lady Nelson

It can be used to bond brass PE to plastic. Model railroaders attach metal running boards to the roof top supports of freight cars.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

2 hours ago, PRS said:

This is the canopy glue you need. 

Pacer RC 560 dries clear and sticks great.

Yep the same as Pacer's Formula 560, It's a vinyl acetate polymer... dries clear and almost invisible....

Pacer Formula 560

Pacer ZAP RC 560

Hobby Lobby carries Formula 560..

Pacer also puts out the ZAP line of superglues.... Great stuff....

Gator's Grip is similar stuff... Works the same way...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

4 hours ago, Egilman said:

Hobby Lobby carries Formula 560..

There's a Hobby Lobby just a few minutes from my house, so I'll have to look out for it next time I'm there.  One of the reasons I like pre-WWII aircraft is that they typically have windscreens rather than enclosed cockpits; it minimizes the paper-to-plastic hassle. Cop-out? Maybe -- I also happen to really like that time period. 😋 EDIT: Just glanced over at my display case -- every airplane in it had a first flight before 1 Sep 1939.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

super job Chris!  they both look superb :)   great to see them both at the same point in assembly!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Spanish Nationalist now has her landing gear. No skid yet -- they tend to break off easily, so that will be one of the last bits.

1931598447_pws26.thumb.jpg.829672e1ee61896ba4da1207e6d04a81.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Very nice work chris,     how do you go about preserving the card/does it need any sutch thing?

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

2 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

how do you go about preserving the card/does it need any sutch thing?

Parts are sprayed with matte clear acrylic before construction. Finished models are kept out of direct sunlight to avoid fading. None of my models have fallen apart yet, and the oldest are going on two decades old. I'll get back to you if they start disintegrating at some point. 😉

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

1 hour ago, ccoyle said:

Parts are sprayed with matte clear acrylic before construction. Finished models are kept out of direct sunlight to avoid fading. None of my models have fallen apart yet, and the oldest are going on two decades old. I'll get back to you if they start disintegrating at some point. 😉

Good to know chris, reason I ask  - with  some of the card I use in my Waterloo build, I have got into the habbit of  brushing over a 50/50 watered down PVA  to strenthen the card.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Well, gents, I stopped by Hobby Lobby to find some Pacer/ZAP 560 -- couldn't find it, and staff said they'd never heard of it. Oh, well. In the meantime, I am plugging away. Got one set of ailerons done today and finished up the second set of wheels. I will probably post a pic once I get White Tail's gear done (for which I picked up some music wire while I was at Hobby Lobby).

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

4 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

Well, gents, I stopped by Hobby Lobby to find some Pacer/ZAP 560 -- couldn't find it, and staff said they'd never heard of it. Oh, well. In the meantime, I am plugging away. Got one set of ailerons done today and finished up the second set of wheels. I will probably post a pic once I get White Tail's gear done (for which I picked up some music wire while I was at Hobby Lobby).

Any real hobby shops around, Chris?  Seems HobbyLobby really doesn't have much in the way of the stuff we use and a bigger problem I've found is the staff seems clueless.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

56 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

Well, gents, I stopped by Hobby Lobby to find some Pacer/ZAP 560 -- couldn't find it, and staff said they'd never heard of it.

I guess it isn't carried in all of them, it is in the two HL's closest to me though, Formula 560, $4.29 a bottle... They also sell Evergreen's Canopy Glue and Testors clear parts cement....

I don't know why their website doesn't show it.... (but it wouldn't be the first time the store has something and the website doesn't)

54 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Seems HobbyLobby really doesn't have much in the way of the stuff we use and a bigger problem I've found is the staff seems clueless.

Yeah they do have a very limited supply of specific modeling supplies, but they do carry more than the usual craft and department stores....

Definitely an example of what online shopping has done to the hobby....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

3 hours ago, Egilman said:

Yeah they do have a very limited supply of specific modeling supplies, but they do carry more than the usual craft and department stores....

Yep, considering that they cater primarily to crafters, they do have a decent selection of modeling-specific supplies. Every time I stop by there, I see something to make a mental note of for later.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco