Isis by mcb - FINISHED - 1:160 - Plastic - Floating Grain Elevator NY harbor

Hello all,

This log is for a floating grain elevator as could be seen in New York harbor in the early 20th century. 

These self propelled grain elevators were used to transfer grain from barges to freighters in various locations around the harbor rather than directly from a large elevator on shore.  Freighters would presumably fill 'unsold' hold space with this bulk cargo.

I became aware of this subject through my interest in railroad activities in New York harbor up until the '60's although these grain elevators were independently operated.

I was unable to find as much information (drawings) of these floating elevators as I would have liked but I enjoy building (model railroad subjects) from photos in styrene. 

I was not sure if this log should be in 1901- present but but the sister elevator to 'Isis', 'Themis' was supposed to have been built in 1898.

There is some information and color photos in the book "New York Harbor Railroads in Color" Vol.2  Thomas R. Flagg pgs. 20-21.

The photos below are from NPS / William W Barry Jr.  (Steamtown N.H.S.  DL&W RR glass plate negative collection )

'Isis' is between two grain barges, unloading them and sending grain down its chutes to a freighter.

I have already built approximations of those two barges.

Any info about these grain elevators or any rail /marine operations would be appreciated.

I will post photos of the current state of the model following this.

Thanks,

MCB

X0401  edit 2.jpg

X0397 'ISIS' prob at grain pier edit 3.jpg

Hello again,

This model was pretty far along before I decided to post it. 

I used photos to make a sketch to build from. Since it appeared to me that the hull form resembled an elongated harbor tug boat I used a hull from a Noch n scale tug boat to help determine the shape of the bow.

However after building the engine room house I did not like the proportions and scrapped it and the hull.

This project is primarily styrene, I will try to list all the detail parts before the log ends.

Here is the current state of the model along with the old and the longer new hull. The deck houses just positioned for show and need more fitting.

Please excuse the cell phone photos and the disgraceful mess of a work bench.

Thanks,

MCB

20201202_215340 (2) edit.jpg

20201018_152051 edit 1 (2).jpg

Nice to see another project in 1:160 scale ;)  

What fascinates me about US American subjects is that they stylistically look rather different from what the same subject would (have) looked like in Europe. There seems to be also more wood involved in the construction or at least in the cladding. Here the grain elevators would have been mostly open and not clad, perhaps also to have less wind resistance. But then New York winters can be much colder than our winters say in Hamburg.

I'll be watching the progress.

One of the projects I have in the drawer is a floating crane from the 1880s, for which I have drawings. It was originally hand operated, but I would add a small steam donkey engine. Or a small steam dredger - lots of mechanical parts on them.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

A fascinating project, I bet few vessel match her for lack of aesthetic appeal. I will watch with interest.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

3 minutes ago, KeithAug said:

I bet few vessel match her for lack of aesthetic appeal

Garbage scow comes to mind. 

Hello again,

Thanks for looking in and the likes. 

Wefalck:  Looking at these photos at higher resolution I can see that the elevator tower itself seems to be sheathed in metal, what used to be called around here corrugated 'iron'.  The windows in the elevator look like ordinary off the shelf double hung windows from the local lumber yard.  The lower ~ 10' are a different composition, I am assuming wood.   Strictly low budget.

The deck houses look like wood. 

The interior skeleton is simply to support the sheathing.  I added some pipe work etc. in the event that any thing might be visible later. 

Over the years it seems that there were changes made (some drastic) at least to 'Isis' and 'Themis'.

By the way, I did see an old pic or illustration of a grain elevator that was not fully enclosed, I believe in Buffalo NY.  

Keith Aug:  'lack of aesthetic appeal'  …. I don't know about that, I found her irresistible.😮

Thanks again everyone,

MCB

On 12/14/2020 at 2:53 AM, mcb said:

Keith Aug:  'lack of aesthetic appeal'  …. I don't know about that, I found her irresistible.😮

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Keith

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

Hello All,

I thought I would update this log to show what I have been doing lately.

The first picture shows the 'marine legs' which are the movable conveyors that are let down into the grain barge to remove the grain, probably with some help from men with shovels.  These were made some months ago but I have decided to modify (articulate) them so that the discharge will be into the interior hopper. 

Second picture shows the movable discharge tubes which are positioned in the ships hold to deliver the grain.  They are masked so that 'seams' can be painted on.

Thanks for looking,

MCB

20201226_151537 (2) edit1.jpg

20201227_200124 (2) edit3.jpg

• 1 month later...

Looking nice overall. I think it the way how the fenders are tied up that makes them look chunky. I would expect to have a whole drilled through at the tope, with rope rove through and tied up with an eye-splice. Also the edges of the fenders would be rounded or chamfered to prevent from cutting into the hull.

wefalck

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

It is time for another update. 

Thanks to MSW member Canute for pointing me to another source (RMIG--'Transfer' #40 ) for information on these vessels. 

I found that by making my hull longer I am actually close to the correct length now.  I discovered a few details that I should probably add on as well.

Also found that many of these floating elevators were not self propelled, some had barge like hull forms.  

And I got some confirmation that essentially no two of these things were alike or that one would retain its appearance for long.

I am now near the stage of assembling the parts and sub assemblies. 

Here are various parts and the rebuilt marine legs. 

The last picture (if I can manage to get all the pics in order) shows a plastic structure protruding from the area of the engine room.  That piece is meant to support the stack which otherwise would be too heavy and vulnerable. 

Just behind the support for the stack is the top of the steam engine (in primer) which will be under the skylight.  For some reason I seem to put these details in where no one will ever see them.   I do this in model RRing as well .  Now I am starting to think of other things to go in there.  It must be one of the reasons I never get anything done.

Thanks for looking,

MCB

20210218_205558 (2) edit1.jpg

20201228_214320 (3) edit 2.jpg

20210227_182330 (2)  edit 1.jpg

Very nice.  I love that you are modeling a kind of watercraft would never have been in preservation.  Dusty, everyday working craft that are hauled around a harbor.  Contemporary commentators paid little attention to them because they were just there doing their jobs on the waterfront.  I wonder if those grain barges came from the midwest via the Erie canal.

Sometimes such humble service vessels do make it into preservation. For instance, the Harbour Museum Hamburg does have a suction dredge and a floating crane, both pre-WWI, in its collection of vessels (to which recently the restored Flying-P-Liner PEKING was added).

wefalck

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

It is again time for a small update.

I have finished with the hull for the most part.  I added a hatch in the  deck at the bow, coal scuttles, water fills etc. in locations that are my best guess after looking at drawings and pics of other elevators.  I may add some cleats later, I think there were probably 4 at least.  The bitts and bollards should be close to their proper positions as I can see those in the photos of 'Isis'.  

I painted my representation of the top of the steam engine and plopped the rear deck house/engine room over it to look in the skylight at it--it is barely visible.  I am glad I looked otherwise I would still be making chairs and wrenches and calenders.... I am easily distracted. 

Before mounting the tower to the hull I installed the previously rigged triple blocks for the marine legs and 'parked' them on wire rods until I get to the stage where I can mount the marine legs.  I hope they don't come off or tangle too much,  I would be in a lot of trouble.  I don't know how you folks do it on this forum, the rigging you do is astounding.

Since these photos I have put on the tower and started to sheath it.  From here it will mostly be assembling parts that are already made.

Thanks for looking,

MCB

20210310_204100 (2) edit 1.jpg

20210313_122909 (2) edit 1.jpg

Thanks Keith and Wefalck, thanks all for the likes.

Those blocks are from Bluejacket. They are 'Iron stropped triple blocks F0384', they are white metal.  

They seem a good match to the photos.

Making blocks myself is a little too much for me.

The chutes and pipes in the tower are just so something might be seen through the openings.  In reality there was a lot more in there.

Thanks again,

MCB

• 2 weeks later...

Coming along rather well, a very interesting vessel.

Keith

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

Very nice progress on the Isis. Glad you found that copy of Transfer. Do you have copies of Tom Flagg's books on the NY Harbor. Not sure if he found any grain elevator pix. But, they have a lot of good color pictures of harbor craft.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thanks Keith Aug and Canute.  And thanks all for the likes.

Yes I am glad I got that issue of 'Transfer', thanks for the heads up Canute.  I do have Flagg's books with three color pics.

They were barn red over a black hull in those pics and probably for most of their career.

A small update:

I now have the tower sheathed and some of the deckhouses on.  

The model is a little bit more heavily weathered than I usually like,  I am having difficulty touching up since I have no more of the Floquil paint in that color.

The pics show the red paint brighter and the weathering a little more subdued than it actually is.

Thanks Again,

MCB

20210328_004709 (2) edit 1.jpg

20210328_004818 (2) edit 1.jpg

Very nice job on an interesting and unusual topic.   Before Covid my wife and I used to visit my daughter and granddaughter who live in Brooklyn.  A free round trip on the Staten Island Ferry is always a trip highlight.  While there is always a lot  to see, 100 or so years or so it would a much more interesting place due to the amazing variety of marine traffic.

Roger