Isis by mcb - FINISHED - 1:160 - Plastic - Floating Grain Elevator NY harbor

Hello Again,

Thanks mtaylor and Canute for the comments, and thanks to all for the likes.

Well the marine legs for this thing are ready to be installed with simplified rigging.

I can no longer put it off, the 'moment of truth', installing the marine legs into their openings, is next. 

I made hooks to attach their inboard ends to a beam in the center of the tower, I have to find a way of fixing them in place against the pull of the EZ line  elastic rigging.  (I have a few ideas).

Wish me luck. 🤔

Thanks,

MCB

20210919_160414 Port Marine Leg (2) edit 1.jpg

20210919_150257 (2) edit 1.jpg

20210919_150136 (2) edit 1.jpg

Excellent rigging of that leg. The hanger on top is a beaut. Great detail in any scale.. You must be cross-eyed with rigging the eye-bolts. 😁

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

stunning build on a very unusual subject

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hello All,

Thanks Canute and Keith for the comments and thanks everyone for the likes.

Well last night I managed to get the marine legs installed in the tower, not perfect but I am going to take it as it is.

The EZ line started to fray a little but it remains intact.

I can still see a lot of clinging styrene dust that needs to be cleaned.

All that is left to be done is to rig the final discharge tube, tighten the one that was upset when I had to sand the bottom, some clean up-touch up and perhaps add a few details.

The end is in sight.

I need to get a better camera (or operator).

Thanks,

MCB 

20210922_223240 (2) edit 1.jpg

20210922_223340 (2) edit 1.jpg

A very impressive build of something that is rarely built as a model.   I'm looking forward to your final touches and showing how it will be displayed.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Certainly one of the most unusual ship models I have ever seen ( and very nicely executed) . Moving round the harbour in a stiff breeze must have been a truly interesting experience.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Great job!

I suspect that few people today realize the role that the Erie Canal played in the development of agriculture in the Midwest.  The port of Buffalo received grain from all over the region via the Great Lakes and transferred it to barges to transit the Canal to NYC’s Harbor.  Your floating elevator was the last link in this important economic system.

Roger

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again,

Thanks for the comments mtaylor, wefalck, Keith Aug, and Roger Pellett and thanks to everyone for the likes.

I have finished up the rigging of the discharge booms.  I decided to obtain some nicer line for mooring lines so I ordered a few packs from Ropes of Scale, now I wish I had used it for the lines installed earlier, it it's so nice looking.

While I was waiting for my order I made some brooms and a shovel which must have been in constant use on this boat.  I also made a (very) crude representation of a 'power shovel or scoop' which were used in the hold of the grain barge by the crews which were hired on for the purpose.  These scoops were guided by hand and apparently pulled along by a continuous loop arrangement of pulleys. I assume that some of the lines on the marine leg were for this.  There are a couple of photos of this in "Transfer" mentioned above but it is difficult to make out exactly how it is rigged as everything is covered in grain including the workers, up to their knees.  Therefore I omitted the blocks and lines on the foot of the marine legs (wouldn't be visible anyway).

So the model is finished and in the next few days I will try to put up some pics of it, in its working environment, if I can finally get the dust off.

Thanks,

MCB

20210926_214705 (2) edit 1.jpg

MCB, 

Just catching up and I must say, what an outstanding build. Always a fan of the more obscure vessels out there and this is a magnificent one. Truly a one of a kind. Great job!

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                  Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                                HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                                     King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                                       Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                                  USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

MCB, what a fantastic build. I thoroughly enjoyed everyone of your entries. I don't know what you have planned for an encore but I've reserved a seat. 

Hello Again,

Thanks mbp521, Keith Black and ccoyle for the comments and thanks again everyone for the likes.

At last, this grain elevator is essentially finished.

Way back in this thread I mentioned I might post a re-cap at the end, well here it is.

As I mentioned somewhere before I come from a model railroad background (N scale 1:160) and have built many scratch-built items, mostly in styrene.  I cannot remember using plans at the beginning of a build but work from photographs found in various books, magazines or an occasional field trip.  I enjoy the task of reconstructing a model from sometimes scant information and I am prepared to have to spend time to correct mistakes or live with them (see below).

I expected that it would be finished this past spring, however quite a few revisions and repairs had to be made.  The first problem was that the commercial windows that I wished to use in the engine house appeared to be slightly larger than what appeared in my photos.  This caused me to build a new engine house and the hull as well in order to keep the proportion reasonable.

Next the marine legs (the movable conveyors that are lowered into the grain barge to remove the grain from the barge) did not fit well in the side of the opening in the elevator.  This was an opportunity to improve the fit and the dimensions as well as to incorporate what was learned from some additional photos that I found.

Finally, I had to sand the bottom of the hull to get it to sit flat, I suppose that attaching the superstructure introduced a bow.  This is something I should have corrected immediately when noticed, it would have avoided damage and delay.

I have made a lot of assumptions building this model, inserting things that must have been there such as coal /ash hatches, cleats, water plugs, and omitting things that I cannot make sense of, at least at the time I am working on the particular item.

I used some commercially available parts such as metal blocks, chocks, capstans, cowl ventilators and eyebolts from Blue Jacket.  Model Shipways eyebolts and cleats.  Sylvan lifeboat. Tichy N scale windows.  Micro scale alphabet decals.  Gold Medal n scale lift rings (really small eyebolts). The engine house cyclone ventilators, chains and wooden barrel - unknown from my detail parts drawer.  Rope and hoist lines are from EZ line, Model Shipways, Walmart and the mooring lines (which I have recently received) are from Ropes of Scale.  I wish I used RoS for the rest of the lines, it is very nice looking. FloQuil (RIP) and tru color paint.

The rest was predominantly styrene (mostly Evergreen).  The bell on the pilot house, pilot house stairs and railing, the 2 whistles, the stack and relief valve vent are fabricated from brass. All the doors and half doors as well as the pilot house windows and skylights are built up from styrene as well as bitts, bollards, top ventilator etc. etc..  I should feel guilty for using commercial n scale windows but I don’t, I have made (and discarded) plenty of them in model railroad projects and I won’t miss it.

In case anyone might be interested the inspiration for this model came mainly through browsing ‘ New York Harbor Railroads in Color’ vols. 1&2 Thomas R. Flagg, Morning sun Books.  There are many nice color pics of interesting harbor equipment mostly railroad related as well as text explaining operations in the harbor.  Also useful was an article, also by Thomas Flagg, in the back issue of  ‘Transfer’ no. 40, Jan-May 2004 the newsletter/magazine of The Rail Marine Information Group. There is also one photo and some info on railroad marine operations in  ‘The Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad in the 20th Century’  Thomas Tabor and Thomas Tabor III.  For the most part however I used the 3 photos which were shown throughout this thread.

This model was intended for inclusion on a set of N scale modules which I hope will start building in the upcoming year.  I will have to devise a way to transport it since it is fragile, as expected.  The module with this model will have a few grain barges and a freighter next to the grain pier as shown in the pictures in the opening posts of this thread.  I am just about certain that the pier is the DLW’s grain pier in Jersey City.  The freighter happens to be there in this case, though usually the grain elevator and barges would meet the freighter at any pier in the harbor.

Following are a few pics of the grain elevator in action with a couple of previously built grain barges and a not quite finished small freighter model from Sylvan Models.  Note the crooked front ‘bumper’ under the name on ‘Amy Mack’, I have been not seeing that for months, I see it now when I post it on this forum!

Finally, thanks again for all the comments and all the likes from everyone during this build.  It is certainly a great place to be a part of and the place to go for info on model building and anything nautical.

MCB

20211012_102923 (2) edit 1.jpg

20211012_103000 (2) edit 1.jpg

20211012_103154 (2) edit 1.jpg

20211012_103257 (3) edit 2.jpg

Beyond cool looking and yes, it looks rather fragile. I can't speak for others, but I learned a few things watching your build. We do have an area for "non-ship" model builds and we do get trains there. 

If I may ask, how far do you need to transport it?  Could you take it apart such that Isis, the barges and the ship could be removed? 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Again All,

Thanks mtaylor and thanks again all for the likes.

Everything is just sitting on poster board for the photo, the lines will come off after a little spray of water.

The booms are vulnerable and swing in the breeze as they hang loosely on pins at the top and are really supported by the rigging, however I didn't have too much trouble repairing the one that I damaged sanding the bottom.  The marine legs are rigid up and down but will move slightly in and out at the bottom.

If I ever get to use these models on new modules they would have to travel about 4 hours each way once a year and 45 minutes each way 2-3 times a year.  I haven't had much damage over the years but this one is a little bit delicate.  Anyway it's all part of the game, the fun part on this one is over.

You never know more NYC harbor items (in 1:160) may appear here some time in the future.

Thanks again everyone,

MCB

Nice work on your waterfront diorama. Moving those delicate structures is nerve-wracking. A friend built an elevated  RR control tower for an intersection of 4 railroads. He had to build a close fitted shipping box to protect the entire structure. You'll design some protection for this jewel.

Covered barges or a station car float, maybe? And the Lackawanna had a self propelled covered  barge. Looked like a tug superstructure on top of the usual covered barge. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

• 4 months later...

BTW, your freighter model is not just any freighter.  It’s a “Laker,” one of the  ships built in Great Lakes shipyards during World War I to the Norwegian Fredrickstad design. These ships were only 240’ long; the maximum length for transiting the Welland and Saint Lawrence River to get to salt water.

50 or so of these ships were built by Alexander McDougall, the inventor of the whaleback ship, in Duluth, Minnesota. With Government financing he build a shipyard, machine and fabrication shops, and housing and recreational facilities for workers.  Very few of these and ships built in other yards were completed before the war ended.  The shipyard closed in the 1920’s or ‘30s but the Riverside community founded to support the yard remains.

Roger

Hello again all,

Keith, I had intended to start another harbor model before this, but I couldn't decide on the subject. 

While I am procrastinating, I am working on yet another...you guessed it ..."Bluenose II".  I saw an old (80's?), very reduced price, AL kit at a train show a while back and could not keep walking.  When I get to the masting and rigging stage, I will probably have decided on the next project and come back to NYC harbor.

There are about six models I would like to do all in the same vein and 1:160.   I may try the steam derrick lighter "Blairstown" using the hull I abandoned for "Isis".  The length is very close, the breadth is maybe close enough.  I have also acquired plans for a larger project that would require much more time.

Roger, thanks for the info about the 'Laker' class.  Do you suppose that any worked the east coast, perhaps down to Cuba?  Thats what I was telling myself.

The small size is convenient for my purpose of fitting in a module, in fact I have a carfloat model that is bigger than it and the two should probably not be in the same scene.

Since it is a 'Laker' I named it Avon Lake as my sister-in -law lives there.  Out of Miami (only 5 letters).

Thanks, everyone, for your interest,

MCB

Blairstown would be very cool, but I have an affinity for DL&W equipment. Taber has pictures, as does the Rail-Marine Info Group. Whatever you do, you'll get a following.

Ken

Hi Keith,

No log for Bluenose yet, it is pretty far along, hull almost done.  I am not sure if you folks need another Bluenose II build here.🙂

There are many nice ones already.

Canute I guess it will be Blairstown next then.  I have some pics (Taber, Flagg etc.) and a couple of different #s for length.

Thanks Guys,

MCB

44 minutes ago, mcb said:

I am not sure if you folks need another Bluenose II build here.

I enjoy seeing your work. 

I somehow missed the completion. One of the most unusual models i have seen but nevertheless quite charming. Very well done.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

MCB,

These Lakers were a bit like Liberty Ships post WWII.  A lot of them were available at bargain prices.  They would have shown up in any trade where they could be competitive.  The Poker Fleet, sailing on the Great Lakes used these ships.  They were named Ace, King, Queen, and Jack.  Some were also used in the West Coast redwood lumber trade.  There certainly is no reason why they would not have been used in trades to and from Cuba.

Roger

Congratulations!  I just saw this!  Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Hello Again All, 

Thanks Keith Black, Canute, KeithAug, Roger and Grandpa Phil,

I will be building 'Blairstown' soon, but I just might put up a build log of my Bluenose while I am getting ready for 'Blairstown'.  I will probably make a crude drawing of 'Blairstown' as I don't think I have any pics of her that should be posted.

Roger, I appreciate the info on the 'Lakers', I thought you would know.  It lets me feel better about using it. 

I was originally going to use it as a place holder until I could build a more suitable larger ship, but I doubt that I would ever get to it.  One of the pics in the above mentioned Flagg book shows what appears to be a Liberty Ship dominating the floating grain elevator that is loading it.

Thanks Again Everyone,

MCB