PT 109 by popeye the sailor - Dumas

We have something in common other than this forum and love of ships Mark.

My daughter-in-law was the reason I was able to get my shots as well. This state is pretty much in chaos and totally lost when it comes to shots. I don't even think they have covered 50% of the recognized seniors yet and the vaccine has been out for months now! There was another story today where a senior couple had to drive hundreds of miles across the state to get a shot. There seems to be no cohesive leadership on this effort at all.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Dennis, whats the quality of the white metal like?

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

On 2/27/2021 at 9:55 AM, Kevin said:

Dennis, whats the quality of the white metal like?

Hope you dont mean - in the vaccine Kevin😜

I will get my coat.....

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I'm not really sure Kevin.......drills like aluminum,  but I'm sure it's a tin alloy.  it's likely no different than some of the metal fitting normally found in most kits.  all I know is that it doesn't take to solder very well.  it does need some general cleaning though......some flash and mold lines.  if you like,  I can snap a picture of these metal parts,  and show you :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

thanks.....Mog is a lot farther than I am ;)   it's slow at the moment,  until I can get the hardware installed.  then I can resin the hull.

getting very close to retirement........I can't wait  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

no......I'm only planning two screws,  to simplify things.  it would have been good if these parts were included in the kit,  since the kit does lean towards R/C more than static.  I don't frequent too many bodies of water,  so R/C would be a waste on this one.  I do have a kit that has a good head start on the parts {I got it for Christmas},  so it will be my first one.  I'll find some place to float her when done.  for those who like large models........this one's for you.......at 33 inches long.......the admiral is still wondering where I'm going to display it

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I've been looking for figures.........but what I've seen so far are way too cartoony.   I know a friend in Florida who is an avid collector of figures {Marvel,  DC, Batman.......you name it}.......I haven't asked him yet,  but I think he could find them for me.   I do have a project on the back burner.......I took some freeze frames of the Sinbad cartoon,  of the S.S. Olive Oyl.  one of these days........a pipe dream........one of many  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

1/30th scale figures are somewhat common, they are also called 60mm, look up 1/30th scale navy and the figures will come right up.

1/35th scale is completely off the chart, that is 54mm, I think those figures would do you, but if you didn’t change out your guns the people would look like little kids.

Reminds me of a funny story, I once took a dog to a police station, the dogs handler looked like he was 12.

I’m surprised Dumas made that kit in 1/30th and not 1/35th, I guess it is actually a very popular kit.

I also noticed that at Shapeways there are a lot of parts in the 1/30th scale.

yes....I'm looking into shapeways........some of the aftermarket looks very good.   mikes tubs are so sweet.........right down to the ammo ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Current builds  

Completed works.

I think I saw them ...........if I do,  I'd go with the complete set........I bookmarked it ;)    thank you!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

3 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

I think I saw them ...........if I do,  I'd go with the complete set........I bookmarked it ;)    thank you!

My pleasure  Denis.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I got the green light to order the parts I need for the running hardware.  I'll  have to introduce the 'other' parts a little at a time :ph34r:  I started to look into the mufflers.......in my kit,  they are wood,  but in earlier kits,  they are vacuum -form.  I've thickened them up a bit more,  so I can round off the edges,  before adding the detail to them.  I should have more on it soon :)  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

the ground shook.....some movement on the PT camp!  I had ordered the running hardware,  but not through Model Expo,  where I got the first running hardware set.   so far,  I've only ordered the running hardware......I've got to come up with a total for the other stuff...budget director's orders.  I got it on Tuesday........so opportune,  since I start my vacation...and the second round of shots on Friday.  I am a bit dumbfounded though......the first set has a metal tube strut.......this one has a plastic one.   ....ewww.....and it's that horrible plastic to boot! .......really a pain to clean off the flash {kind of the type of plastic that milk jugs are made from}.  

1780821467_1.jpg.6b1977bfe3a802aed24848d8534ab43c.jpg

682390652_2.jpg.8f81a377f1d1256f0d7c52dc205591de.jpg

the rest of the parts are the same,  I'm relieved to say...I only hope the angle of the shaft tubes is the same.  I also got a pair of 30 mm three blade props,  which I selected from Amati....I went to ages of sail for this order.  Model Expo was out of the running hardware kit.

1907324741_3.jpg.3affcd3158300083a0ac59e5e0d3ab02.jpg

looking at these......I could easily have gone to 33 mm props....think they would translate to 1 3/4.  these I think are 1 3/8.....I'll see if they are big enough.

if not,  I just get another pair {I'm sure I have a model or two that needs a prop  ;)   so......the first order of business is to mark off the location for the struts and rudder shafts...

1788911817_4.jpg.6db2e98376bd4f26eaa5bf0d0d3f2d25.jpg

the nuts for the screws are small......and would be a frustrating affair,  considering where I need to put them.  but with the aide of my mega tweezers,  it should make it a lot easier.

207643904_5.jpg.d9ac4438c691fb13487e0e68dc06456b.jpg

it's 12 inches long,  and will easily reach into the hull.   centering the struts,  the holes were marked out and drilled.  one of the screw holes missed where I had added the reinforcements.....so I added an additional piece.  got to wait till it dries now.

1358489357_6.jpg.e8235e9c379eeddeea6fa688768d2013.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice Bronze props brother, But I got's a stupid question....

You gonna run in scale mode, hydroplane mode or both? {chuckle}.... (never having built an RC boat in my entire life)

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

I played with the Agillis for a little while.......now its time for the nail biter.   the holes were enlarged for the screws and the struts were fastened in place...it wasn't too tough to do :) 

771712029_1.jpg.0992b7ed4139ef91961affe42e1ec419.jpg

1237724596_2.jpg.2ac978f8d22b9257608f28a705c5d43c.jpg

326391071_5.jpg.d4e4f64758c5a0d7411f497704f9db07.jpg

once tightened down,  I gave them a coat of white glue to keep them from backing off.  .......little chance of it,  but one can't be too careful  ;)  getting the angle of the shaft tube right was somewhat of a problem.......I inserted the tubes and marked out where the entrance holes were to be.   the angle was the real dilemma........had to make a few adjustments.  the two struts weren't at the same angle either.......this brought the holes starting before bulkhead #10.  this one needed to have a section cut out anyway......but I had forgotten about it.   that's OK though.......resorting to a hammer to drive in the tubes in the rest of the way,  cleared the obstacles in fine order! :D  this didn't upset the applecart too badly......I removed the broken piece of bulkhead,  and after the tubes were set in place,  two lengths of 1/8X1/8 basswood was cemented in to fill in the gap.  this didn't pose a strength issue,  since the chine struts carry most of the hull strength.......but again,  I may as well do it.

1699089946_3.jpg.04e2b7d20d3e3fe70def5e64355ab5a1.jpg

the tubes were sealed with white glue

615712188_4.jpg.11a659591e5787b2ba4187fb4826efad.jpg

there's a bit of buggering that need to be filled in,  where they enter the hull.   I'll do that in the next session,  along with the rudders.

331550570_6.jpg.2c4d779950260df527bab8c3c9f94e83.jpg

1722454295_7.jpg.848bf27d50c9bc4603c2050ae2467bb1.jpg

I was hoping to set them up and remove them for the resin coating.  but with all this........I think I'll just work around them  ;)   more to come soon 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

neither.......it's a static model.   sad.........but true.   I haven't built an R/c either......but I have one in the stash ;)   future build.........

Edited by popeye the sailor
typo

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

likely........they recently opened up another branch that deals with kits that they bought from the general public.   folks who wanted to thin out their stashes must have taken advantage of this..........the email I got showed pictures of the shelves......amazed with what I saw!

I'm even more amazed with the differences between these two hardware kits.  my only deduction is that what I bought from Model Expo,  was old stock,  and the one I got from Ages of sail was newer stock.   the struts aren't the only issue.......there is one with the prop shafts too.   the props from Amati are good......they have the slot in the back for the shear pin {locking pin to arrest the prop and key it to the shaft}......I only had to enlarge the center hole slightly so they would fit onto the shafts.  the difference here are the nuts that secure the props to the shaft.......one is small and looks good,  while the other one is so big,  its an eyesore!  before I found this problem,  I filled in around the shaft tubes using a razor blade as a trough.

378784809_1.jpg.0ef5e4aac7d390fa9cd80f1c4ece8b8a.jpg

I'll sand it and apply more if needed.  the next thing was to drill the holes for the rudder tubes......I left them around 3/16 " out of the hull,  just in case {but I can still adjust them}.

1098939817_2.jpg.3ccaccbf5d77fc6290c6539dfa2e2b81.jpg

I would have gone onto the rudders,  but then it hit me about the props........and the second problem presented itself......

51098106_3.jpg.084c5acb3aa9c05773f0217ad8ea8bd3.jpg

1387593832_4.jpg.842d2e1f417845fa01badac58d313403.jpg

if I wanted to make spinners for them.......it would be impossible.  I will see if I have a nut that small in one of my junk cans in the garage.......but wait!  I happen to have a Billing's prop shaft......perhaps it will still have the nut on it?!?!?  checking around......I found not only one....but two!  one of them I had cut down for some reason or another........the other one had the nut and the collar still on it!

763221916_5.jpg.83e04ad0e06d199d94921275462804b7.jpg

of course,  the nut was a different thread pitch.....rats!  but...........then again,  this is to be a static model.......so it really doesn't need to be a full shaft.  I found the nut for the other shaft in the jar with the props and anchors { my inventory}.  these two nuts are the same,  and so I set it up again using the Billing shafts.......there are no holes for a sheer pin,  but I can drill one.....got to go!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I'm back.........almost late for the vaccine appointment :blush:  the admiral looked up and saw the time!   we were given a time,  but it didn't matter.......when we got there,  we got in line with several other people.   the end result of all this,  is we got our second shots.......Hurray!

where wuz I?????    the screw shafts.....yea!   swapped the props over to the other shafts and put 'em in place.

2095300767_6.jpg.cae7294b81fdd3b2d73d2fc889027e2b.jpg

227786643_7.jpg.fe456d6c0a8b319324b8eafcc1ded25b.jpg

I put the plastic spacers on this time around.  I wasn't out of the woods yet........the rudders are problem No #3.   the shape of the rudder is off,  the shafts are different lengths,  and the slot to insert the rudder in the shaft,  is longer on one than the other.  the long one is slotted on both ends...for what reason,  I have no idea.

1575034081_8.jpg.4b0526e44c8d4e194126e60e0a043d8d.jpg

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''here we go again :ph34r:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking good Denis

Most of the issues you are running into are because you are installing RC running gear as scale. The cast strut is old school and the nylon more  resent. The rudders are strictly intended as RC as when building a running model you commonly need larger rudders to get the turning performance you need. Plus I think you bought two running sets so you got two rudders instead of one, again old issue and new. As you know the real boat had three props and rudders with 28" props. That would work out to 35.5mm at this scale or just under 1 1/2 inch. 

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I just placed the next order for this vessel at Shapeways.......I saw that they also list the struts,  associated parts and props as a set.  if I knew that back when........   I ordered the 50 cals......and I ordered the deck gun as well.......I liked the way Mike's came out ;)   yea......I know Lou.  what I should do is round off the rudders so they would look more like the real ones {the ones I saw at Shapeways are}.  hopefully,  I can set up the rudders so they can move.....I will connect them so they move together.  I could have gone with the three prop/rudder set up,  but I was concerned with the apex of the keel for the center shaft.  I read in the instructions that when locating the 'single' shaft,  the keel was flattened,  to accept the strut.........I wasn't keen on drilling through the keel either.  so I settled on having just two props/rudders........close enough for me  ;)   I'm going to use the props too.......they are close enough.   I've done some work on the rudders.......I'll have something to show later :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

...almost forgot..........the admiral and I feel fine after the second shot :)   no adverse reactions

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

which catalog is that?   that is the general shape of the rudders from Shapeways.   as Lou pointed out,  these are R/C parts I'm working with.  as with any parts found in kits,  some require shaping and trimming.  I may shape them.

I have been able to pick at the PT boat.  the rudders don't match,  so I'll have to make a match to either one.  I have some sheet brass stock.  I have a copper sheet,  but it isn't thick enough,  nor ridged enough.  what I did find was some tin sheet........that was thick enough.

1819204391_1.jpg.468617cfe436ce53b20959223384f7e3.jpg

the hull was sanded around the tubes....just a little more and it will be good.

258944640_2.jpg.1feefc302c86c17564fb627bf8518dc7.jpg

I still need to go over the rest of the hull,  before I do the resin coat......the weather is getting better and better....I'd rather do it in the garage.  the next step with the rudders,  was to solder  them on the shafts.   another defect I had to deal with,  was that the slots for the rudder weren't cut equally.  the solution was to measure how much of the rudder would fit into the shafts,  and notch the one for that particular shaft.  I think it was like a 3/16x3/16

square cut out of the corner.  soldered together,  they now look even.

2106190683_3.jpg.d6e2ae58f961a8b6c4661c94321c683a.jpg

luckily,  there is enough shaft to go the entire length of the tubes......I can do what I want to do.   fitted in place,  the spacing looks good.

657308166_4.jpg.5236562fcfd2faa73fc94c1fe554c928.jpg

418687581_5.jpg.4967473ba7e493d40b505273a7711992.jpg

1866049441_6.jpg.e3eb2b09542c008ed83d6b589cf3b8b6.jpg

the last picture had me concerned.........the starboard side rudder was a bit out of line with the prop.  there was a difference of about an 1/8th of an inch.   removing the tube,  I remeasured and marked where it was supposed to be.  this can be easily corrected.

627790316_7.jpg.9f93a66453038aa915e4e41f6825b105.jpg

the hole was redrilled........to fit the tubes,  I used sandpaper to ream out the holes.  this was done by wrapping sandpaper around a bamboo dowel,  secured in place with CA.  it was fitted in the drill and then passed through the hole....in and out........over and over,  until the tube fit,  tight enough to be firmly inserted.  it worked well for the first holes...........I guess I got too aggressive with the reaming,  and I found out how strong bamboo is,  before it began to twist.  I still got the job done though  ;) 

362816975_8.jpg.650346469a26fc4e943966d74ca697a4.jpg

one beauty of a round hole,  is how easily it can be plugged.

205045723_9.jpg.46f3bb421ba4880fe1e5b54061fafb06.jpg

so the tube will be refitted and properly sealed.  as for the prop shafts,  there were no holes for a shear pin.  for a static model,  this isn't important,  but I was able to drill them anyway.

975942776_10.jpg.3e1ec01365a9bef7ef54a5153177e1a0.jpg

I located them so there won't be too many threads jutting out from shafts.  inside the hull,  the linkage levers for the rudders were sync together,  and a connection rood was fashioned for them.  so far,  I haven't found an allen wrench that fits the jam screws....I know I have some that are THAT small...I just have to find them {I'm sure they are in a bag somewhere in the garage}.

1225870799_11.jpg.b6d6ddac4515b9a061c5690346e6d7c0.jpg

more to come :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

.........two tool boxes....full of tools.......and no sign of an allen wrench that small!  so I guess the next step would be to visit the local hardware store and see what they got.  I would have been happy to see a 1/4 socket set........or a collection of bits,  that went down that small.  I ended up with a standard and metric combo set.

232956364_1.jpg.69cc5cbca189119630cda71ec3a0d0a2.jpg

1.5 mm to 10 mm metric & 0.05 to 3/8 standard.........fingers crossed that one will do the job.   this set was around $16.00.   I do have a 1.5 mm allen wrench,  but it fits sloppy and slips {likely due to wear}.  the 0.05 allen standard is odd.........why not do it in 1/32,  or even 1/64ths?  the actual size of these set screws turned out to be 1/16,  and I was very happy to see there was one in the set.

591593247_3.jpg.5985bf20aeb2cd85cada11204f048c06.jpg

I also shaped the rudders......not exact,  but I like the way they came out.

1359105423_2.jpg.15f0f95aacc5065c7bfe0b07438e5923.jpg

I started to fill in some of the seams and joints and do some more sanding.  I also did more sanding on the deck surface,  in prep to lay the deck platform.  I'm beginning to think I should have it in place before I do the resin .......the gap line around the gunwales.  the excess along the stern was also removed,  since it seemed to offset the deck platform forward,  jutting it over the bow.  sanding it flush with the frame,  the platform was dry fitted,  and it was seen that the platforms now jutted over the stern lip.  adding a 1/8th strip connecting the gunwale sides,  cured the overhang perfectly.

1943460562_4.jpg.bd3768c7e8b3d22402448c0232d9083b.jpg

to clean up the rest,  I added a strip that joins the clamps too.

1873882649_5.jpg.862d59bcd5c0158bbbd2c064d146ff07.jpg

side profile of the deck line......

709329786_6.jpg.a488f83118d8af1f52c7b16c4c38f72b.jpg

more to come :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice job on the rudders Denis I bet that getting them the same size was fun.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey