USS Delaware 1817 by threebs

That's quite a fleet taking shape there.  Looking forward to the next one.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very impressive!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Kearsarge vs Merrimack:  Apples and Oranges.  Merrimack was a large steam frigate; a super frigate like the earlier Constitution intended to outclass all foreign rivals.  Kearsarge was a much smaller steam sloop.

You might want to pick up a copy of the book “Merrimack, the Biography of a Steam Frigate” by Stephen Chapin Kinnaman.  Another valuable reference is Volume I of “The Old Steam Navy” by Donald L. Canney.  A third reference would be an article published within the last 5-10 years in the Nautical Research Journal describing construction of a model of USS Minnesota, another ship of the same class.

Edited by Roger Pellett

Thus far this is an extraordinary effort and represents what must be a significant number of hours.

Looking at the three completed members of the lost fleet, it became clear to me that a great gift was given to the US Navy with their loss.  The liners and the frigates were obsolete.  They were too large and slow to be of real use for the functions needed for next four years  The crew and supplies would have been far more costly than any benefit they could provide.   The Germantown, Plymouth, and Dolphin were a real loss.  This way , instead of Congress being negative  about paying for replacements because the Navy have to scrap them, they got sympathy.  The Merrimack by having a engine was something of a loss, but her size versus the job - blockade and chasing smugglers was a bit too large.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Wonderful models.  Its really refreshing to see some American subjects from this era.  Well done and thank you for sharing them.

• 1 year later...

The USS Delaware scratch built in 1/72 is 99.9% done. I will need to go over it closely a few more times to touch up paint here and there. Add a few more rope coils to the ship's boats tie off pins. Touch up the coppering and smooth it down where is has curled up from handling.

IMG_8868.JPG

IMG_8869.JPG

IMG_8870.JPG

IMG_8871.JPG

IMG_8872.JPG

IMG_8873.JPG

IMG_8874.JPG

IMG_8875.JPG

IMG_8876.JPG

IMG_8877.JPG

IMG_8878.JPG

IMG_8879.JPG

IMG_8880.JPG

IMG_8881.JPG

IMG_8882.JPG

IMG_8883.JPG

IMG_8884.JPG

IMG_8885.JPG

IMG_8886.JPG

IMG_8887.JPG

IMG_8888.JPG

IMG_8889.JPG

IMG_8890.JPG

Amazing work!

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Very impressive fleet!