Hello from Belgium

BranPie

Hi everyone. I'm Pieter, 38 year old husband, father of a 17-month old son and teacher. I've finally given in to the desire to start wooden model shipbuilding, something I've been dreaming of ever since I visited a little modellers club in Seychelles where they did beautiful scratch builds at the age of 7 or 8. I have quite a bit of experience as a plastic model builder (mainly WWII airplanes) as a teenager, and painted an entire warhammer army in my late teens and early twenties. Since then it's been all about sports (triathlon then, now just cycling and running, for fun), getting started in working life, starting a family, building a house, ...

I'm starting out with a Polaris build from OcCre, since my experience with woodworking is minimal and working on this scale nonexistant. On top of that I know that I won't always be able to keep the hobby going due to other obligations. I really didn't want a first project to take years (perfectionism sometimes gets the better of me, causing complete standstill in many projects :(), my guess is this Polaris build will take me the better part of a year anyway. I've already read some 20 building logs (including all Polaris builds I could find) and I'll be starting a build log soon. Hoping I'll learn a lot here (I'm sure I will, I already have actually :)).

Edited by BranPie

Cheers, Pieter

Current build: Polaris (OcCre, 1:50)

Welcome to MSW BranPie (interesting name . . . :)). You've already got the right idea with starting a build log and looking at other Polaris logs. That should help you a lot.

Perfectionism can be a bit of a curse for ship modellers - you will make mistakes; we all do (the better modellers just make more interesting ones). Just remember that each model is a learning experience and each mistake will teach you something for next time. Also that wood is a very forgiving medium - if you stuff up totally, there's still hope. If all else fails, you can throw the kit piece in the bin and make a wooden replacement (though I hope that doesn't happen to you.) 

I don't think Cathead will mind me mentioning him like this, but he hit all kinds of problems with his Dusek Viking longship kit, but with persistence and ingenuity he overcame them and now his ship is looking magnificent.

So hang in there - ask questions or for advice if you hit trouble. The people here are very friendly and helpful.

And enjoy the journey!

3 hours ago, BranPie said:

Hoping I'll learn a lot here

Hello Pieter and welcome to MSW. It is a great place to learn and, don't forget, you may have something to 'teach' as well. Your solutions to your issues in your build may be exactly what another builder is looking for.

Glad to have you on board.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Welcome to MSW, Pieter.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2020 at 1:24 PM, Louie da fly said:

Welcome to MSW BranPie (interesting name . . . :)). You've already got the right idea with starting a build log and looking at other Polaris logs. That should help you a lot.

Perfectionism can be a bit of a curse for ship modellers - you will make mistakes; we all do (the better modellers just make more interesting ones). Just remember that each model is a learning experience and each mistake will teach you something for next time. Also that wood is a very forgiving medium - if you stuff up totally, there's still hope. If all else fails, you can throw the kit piece in the bin and make a wooden replacement (though I hope that doesn't happen to you.) 

Thanks for the warm welcome. The name has nothing to do with actual pie, I'm afraid (I don't know if I'd like bran pie...). It's just the first few letters of my last and first name put together. 

I mentioned my perfectionism because it's just what you call it: a bit of a curse. I generally think it's good to strive for perfection, but not if you lack the skillset to achieve it, which is usually the case for me. So that'll be something I know I'll have to fight (up to now it's going great on that account :)). 

Hope to see you around here... 

Cheers, Pieter

On 12/19/2020 at 1:34 PM, bruce d said:

Hello Pieter and welcome to MSW. It is a great place to learn and, don't forget, you may have something to 'teach' as well. Your solutions to your issues in your build may be exactly what another builder is looking for.

Glad to have you on board.

Thanks! And I hope that I will be able to "teach" (or teach) someone something in time. 

Cheers, Pieter

On 12/19/2020 at 4:22 PM, Barbossa said:

Welkom, BranPie.

Always nice to welcome a fellow-Belgian-citizen.

As Louie mentioned : starting a buildlog is the best thing to do.

Likewise! And now I already know someone who can help me find supplies if I ever need them. 😉

Cheers, Pieter

Welkom Pieter 

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

• 3 weeks later...