How to lash a jollyboat on deck?

Dear fellows

How is the correct method to lash a dinghy / jollyboat on deck? I built some wooden blocks as stand, now I need to fix the boat somehow with lashings to the deck, please see picture below (dinghy is not yet completely finished...).

Its' on a spanish galleon, 16th century. Model San Francisco II of Artesania Latina which I upgraded with some custom made parts, such as the dinghy.

The dinghy is only 70 mm long, so the lasing shouldn't be too complicatedy as it has to be very small size...

Would be great if you could give me some advise how I can realise the most realistic looking lashing.

Thank you and kind regards from Basel Switzerland

André

DSCN0551.jpg.a9b801295c660045b69df8e560d9e896.jpg

If you like to see the full build log, please visit

The simple answer is measure the boat and divide into thirds.   Two lines of rope such that they are a third of the way from each end.  Put 4 eyebolts into the coaming at the points mentioned and secure the lines by seizing them.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi mtaylor

Thanks for the hint. So far thats clear. But I was looking for a somewhat more elaborate lashing. Probably something with two blocks at each line for tightenig the lines. I don't know what kind of "system" in the line was used to strap the boat historically correct (only ropes fixed to an eyebolt mounted in the deck floor is not historically correct I think!?).

No blocks necessary.  Probably a midshipman's hitch or a taut line hitch will hold very well.

Maury

Just running a couple of ropes across a boat sitting upright on chocks may not be sufficient to keep the boat from rocking. Today, so-called gripes are used, these are hooks that go over the wales and have an eye at the end. A rope is reefed in several turns through this eye and an eye-bolt or something suitable on the deck or the chocks. This rope then is fastened on itself after hauling it taut. Instead of hook, this rope could also be fastened to a suitable structural member inside the boat. The idea is to secure the boat at four points, rather than just pulling it down onto the chocks.

Small boats that are relatively easily man-handled may be also better stored upside-down to keep them dry and to prevent overcoming water to collect in them in making them top-heavy.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Don’t forget, a boat exists to float!  Therefore, if a heavy sea fills up the well deck formed by the forecastle, poop deck and bulwarks whatever is holding the boat down is subject to the full buoyant force of the water surrounding it.  I would suggest a couple of beams across it athwartships, secured by lashings of several turns sequired to ringbolts in the deck.

A more likely scenario would be Welflack’s comment that the boat would be stored upside down.  While the ship was on a voyage the boat would not be needed.

Roger

Let's not forget that often the boats were towed to keep the deck clear and also keep the boat's hull wet so the wood wouldn't shrink and create more headaches.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Probably thousands of different ways to secure the small boats different vessels carried as long as they are secure. Stowed with the keels down, I would expect a cover to be secured and vented to protect the interior from water and damage from the sun, would not find it amiss if the keel was up to be covered. There are many hitches using loops to create a tackle to draw tension into ropes, what most call the truckers hitch is one many use today. TruckersHitchUsingAlpineButterfly2.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Not sure if is the right thread, but I am wondering how were ships boats stacked on top of each other and tied down?  I ask as I am building the Caldercraft Bounty and the two boats are shown stacked, but the instructions are silent on how that was done.  Assume some wedges do some sort on the boats underneath?

thanks.

32 minutes ago, AJohnson said:

Not sure if is the right thread, but I am wondering how were ships boats stacked on top of each other and tied down?  I ask as I am building the Caldercraft Bounty and the two boats are shown stacked, but the instructions are silent on how that was done.  Assume some wedges do some sort on the boats underneath?

thanks.

I believe you assume correctly.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

6 hours ago, AJohnson said:

thanks.

There are a couple of cradles between the two boats on my Bounty, and each is separately lashed down with two ropes.

9283AD30-F4CA-4657-AE76-55D5F339B16C.jpeg

14BB3A34-3E27-476D-BFD6-11F10ADA07C1.jpeg

Tim Moore

Perfect is the enemy of good

In progress

IJN Pre-Dreadnought Battleship Mikasa, 1:200, Hobby Boss

On Deck
DH.9a Ninak, 1/32, Wingnut Wings
The Blue Sky Company, 1:48, Sierra West Models

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.

8 hours ago, Tim Moore said:

There are a couple of cradles between the two boats on my Bounty, and each is separately lashed down with two ropes.

Thank you Tim for the pictures of your brilliant model! 😀  that's given me clues as to what I can do with my Bounty boats, should be able to make something out of the kit sheets for other parts.  Also good views on how to tie them with ropes, also might have a go at the hoists to the main stay.

Edited by AJohnson

This is a very timely topic, I am just about to tackle this problem myself. The instructions  gloss over the detail but show where to attach the deck rings for the tying down. Tim'1109294521_jollyboats.thumb.jpg.80bf21952ad1b8956c12d49ebe6c4bb6.jpgs picture above gives me a good idea how I might do it,

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍