Blocks and rigging size for Olympia 1:232

2 hours ago, The_Full_Broadside said:

.....where to get them from?

I don't believe you will find anything for sale at that scale.

There are miniature model makers working at those smaller scales, and there are some books out there about making such things.

They pretty much use tiny bits of whatever, and fine wire..

I will be trying to find some books for you, but meanwhile someone else may jump in with suggestions.

I know this has been discussed before, but I'm at a loss as to how to search for those topics.

There are a couple of books by  Lloyd McCaffery, but they can be kind of pricey..

Edited by Gregory

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Most books on building in scales smaller than 1:96 focus on sailing ships and cover making blocks and rigging.  I'm not aware of any commercial sources for blocks at these smaller scales (about the size of the proverbial mustard seed or smaller).  Many who work in these scales use wire for rigging, which is easily available on line down to 50 AWG (American Wire Gauge), 0.001"/.025mm.

The most general reference for small scales I've found is Ships in Miniature by Lloyd McCaffery.  Other works on miniature ship building include Shipbuilding in Miniature by Donald McNarry, Period Ship Modelmaking and Modelling Sailing Men-of-War, both by Phillip Reed.  All have sections on producing blocks and line although most of the pages cover building the hull and fittings.

There don't seem to be any completed build logs for USS Olympia here at MSW, but searching the site does turn up several photo collections in the completed model galleries which might be useful for reference.  Another source, although not recently updated, is steelnavy.com which focuses on small scale models of mostly 20th century warships.

Bill

Also, if the blocks are wood, they would be internally stropped, further complicating things at this scale.  After a quick look in their books I do not see that either McNarry or McCaffery go into these kinds of blocks.  They could even have been made of metal by the time this vessel was underway rather than wood.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

If my mental math is correct at the scale that you are working at a 12in long block would be slightly less than 1/16in and a 6in slightly less than 1/32in long.  At least with my skill set making accurately shaped blocks in these sizes is not possible and many wood species will not stand up to shaping and drilling these small sizes.

The late Gerald Wingrove turned very small sized blocks from small diameter brass rod.  He first filed a short section of round rod oval, turned it to add a groove where the sheave would be, parted it off, and then soldered on a very thin wire strop.  I tried this and it worked until I tried to solder on the strop.  I wound up with a blob of solder.

Others use stacks of tiny punched paper discs.

Lots of room for innovation.

I seem to remember that there was someone who posted here with their excellent very tiny models, but didn't really share any technique that I recall.

Does anyone remember who that might have been?

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

I don't remember the name/location of the post, but one fellow just used tiny drops of glue to simulate small blocks. Just tie the wires together and add a drop of glue. Maybe a ship in a bottle?

I think a better technique would be to tie the wires together and add a drop of solder. Then you can squeeze the solder with pliers to shape the flat sides of the block, and even shape with a fine file. With a bit of care (and practice) you should be able to make decent double and triple blocks.

TFB,

I will be curious to see how this works out and what type of wood you use if you actually can make these to scale.   Assuming the lines are about 1" diameter, or smaller, this would be 0.004" diameter hole in the block at your scale.  I do not believe you can find drill bits that small. The smallest I have ever read about are 0.006 (#97)  and not generally available.   The smallest most common available is #80 (0.0135) which is more than triple the diameter that you would need in order to be be close to scale.

Good luck.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

At the size that you will need you are going to be working within the cell structure of the wood.  When I tried to use very tight grained wood, boxwood, for making tiny blocks the wood fell apart when I tried to drill and shape them.

If I were going to make these tiny blocks, I might try casting the basic shape in resin or pewter in a rubber mold.  

Roger