HMS Terror by E&T - Scale 1:48, POB, as fitted for polar service in 1845 - Finished

Hi E&T.

As always I am astonished on your research and interpretation of the subject.

I think you should do a white paper on this :) (book)

All the best Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Hi E&T.

As always I am astonished on your research and interpretation of the subject.

I think you should do a white paper on this :) (book)

All the best Regards Antony.

Thanks for the kind words, Antony.

As for a book; I've had quite a few encouraging suggestions along these lines and it's a possibility that's becoming more appealing.

But, I haven't published in this particular field before and I haven't approached any publishers yet. I'm not in a particular rush. 

So, I'm taking it slowly and focusing on building an accurate model for now. More on that soon, I hope.  :) 

Edited by E&T

Hi Decoyman.

That is some very interesting news.

The Museum here in Exmouth will really interested as this is where the ship was built.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

and the plot thickens...

The article didn't say how deep she was, hum? It would be great if she could be brought up and put in a museum like Mary Rose or Vasa.

Talk about a needle in a hay stack, and those sonar images look like she is well preserved and intact. 

The main problem is the minute they bring it up.  Decay and rot will start.  And the cost to preserve it would be phenomenal.

David B

That's true David, Plus it takes what, like a 15 to 20 year bath in polymers to stabilize the hull and then you have problems like the Vasa collapsing under her own weight, but it would still be worth it if she wasn't all that deep. In my humble opinion of course.

There are few of these Old ships still around and with the historic nature of this vessel in particular, it would be worth retrieval, archival, restoration and display, I would think, if not too costly.

Thanks for the posts! I did see this wonderful news.

I'm eager to see how close the actual ship matches my plans and model. Hopefully I won't have to change much, and from the images I've seen so far it looks like the plans and model are in great shape. In any case, the exterior is so smashed that my plans will still be of some use.

No idea of which ship it is, though, so I wouldn't even want to speculate. Of course, I have hopes.

And Druxey - some day I will be as witty as you! Good one! :D

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/lost-franklin-expedition-ship-found-in-the-arctic-1.2760311

For anyone else interested in the discovery of one of Franklin's ships.

Regards,

Gabe

Current builds:
Harvey, Baltimore Clipper - Artesania Latina
HMS Triton Cross Section, 18th Century Frigate - online scratch build
HMCS Agassiz, WW2 Flower-Class Corvette - HMV - card model

Completed:
Swift, Pilot Schooner - Artesania Latina --- Build log --- Gallery

Skeeter, Ship-in-Bottle - Ships a Sailin' kit --- Build log

Santa Maria, Caravel - Artesania Latina --- Build log

and the plot thickens...

The article didn't say how deep she was, hum? It would be great if she could be brought up and put in a museum like Mary Rose or Vasa.

She's apparently in only 11 metres (35') of water and standing around 6 metres upright. The high arctic conditions and short working season would make this a very expensive raising. However, they interviewed a decendent of Capt. Crozier who thought that the construction of these ships was so sturdy and because they were further reinforced for arctic exploration that raising might be feasible. And we should mention that our Prime Minister is tickled pink over this...maybe he'll spring some money this way!

This is really big news for us Canadians. I think that you and your model might end up playing a part in all this if you want, E&T!

Regards,

Gabe

Current builds:

Completed:

• 1 month later...

"BUILDING HMS TERROR" IN CANADIAN GEOGRAPHIC MAGAZINE

post-639-0-46042600-1415064312_thumb.jpg

The magazine with my own "wreckage" - of soon to be assembled parts.

Canadian Geographic just released their special magazine devoted to Parks Canada's discovery of HMS "Erebus". It's a comprehensive issue filled with articles by members of the discovery team and some of the world's foremost Franklin researchers. It also includes some wonderful graphics, including never before seen photographs of the discovery.

I'm happy to report that Canadian Geographic asked to use my plans for their article on the ships, and if you buy the magazine you can see a custom version of HMS Terror's outboard profile, which is an updated version of a plan I produced many months ago.

They also interviewed me about the model itself and that Q and A can be seen on the digital content for the magazine here: mag.cangeo.ca/dec14/ship (it seems the link isn't live right now but should be soon).

P.S. Yes, there is a little progress shown above! The copper scarph bolts are now in place, and I've roughed out the groove for the rudder on the rudder post. I've been working steadily on the bulkhead assembly and hope to show major progress soon. 

Edited by E&T

Hearty congratulations on the recognition that you've received. Well done! It must be nice to have your opinions now backed by authoritative evidence.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Well done, indeed.  What an accomplishment. post-76-0-83891300-1415073032.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Congratulations On great timing and as mentioned providence. I wager you are waiting with baited breath for the divers to photograph the wreckage. So you can actually see the genuine article.

David B

Thank you all for the kind words. David, I admit that I bite my nails every time a new photo is released. I've made a lot of inferences, and while most of them are

informed by research, they could be wrong. So far it seems like I'm doing okay, but it could result in a major problem if I build a piece that is later shown to be inaccurate. No more fittings for me for some time! That works as I have a lot of superstructure to build!

Edited by E&T

I knew your incredible research and dedication to detail would play a role in this discovery! Congratulations! Time to start a book, mate.

Regards,

Gabe

Current builds:

Completed:

• 1 month later...

NEW YEAR’S UPDATE

It has been a busy year for my project, though, unfortunately, much of my work  hasn't translated into recent posts on Model Ship World. As most of you know, my project is really two in one: to create the first accurate scale model of HMS Terror as she appeared in 1845, and to produce the first accurate plans of the ship in her 1845 configuration. I spent much of the year on the latter, having decided early in the year to extend my plans to all decks and fittings of the ship. I completed a significant amount of this work, including the lower deck plans and details of accommodations (I’ve produced much more than has appeared here), and I am nearing completion of plans for the orlop deck and hold, as well as various cross sections. As always, creating these plans is not as simple as tracing the original Terror/Erebus plans, as each requires significant historical research to fill in the many missing gaps. 

The discovery of HMS Erebus by Parks Canada also had a significant impact on my project. My blog was inundated with thousands of views and I received many dozens of emails from interested readers, researchers, and other enthusiasts. Many came during the exciting few weeks between the time the ship was discovered and when it was eventually identified. I enjoyed these exchanges immensely and they led to a blog post about the structural differences between the ships, which received a very positive response from many readers. 

The discovery also led to several requests for consultation/information/plans from researchers involved in various media projects. I’m very excited by some of these new projects and while I can’t disclose them all yet, I’m sincerely gratified that my work will appear in formats other than my blog and posts on MSW. One of these has already come out; Canadian Geographic Magazine requested a modified version of my plans showing the most important ship systems. They did not utilize the entire plan, which included a cross section, so I have provided the entire image above. 

Despite all of this additional work, I haven’t forgotten about my model, and I’ve been working slowly away at it when I can find a chance. Below I outline my progress to date: 

post-639-0-24228200-1420147453_thumb.jpg

Each scarph on the keel had 8 copper bolts, 1 and 1/8 inches in diameter (consistent with much larger 36 and

74 gun vessels). I simulated these using 20 gauge copper wire which accounts for a 1.5 inch rove.

post-639-0-49297100-1420147501_thumb.jpg

Gluing the main keel and stem together. Alignment was critical, so the parts

were laid out over the plan and clamped/weighted down.

post-639-0-67916100-1420147547_thumb.jpg

Checking the alignment before gluing. The unfinished profile piece can be seen in the background. 

post-639-0-10863800-1420147575_thumb.jpg

Gluing the pieces in place. 

post-639-0-18112000-1420147620_thumb.jpg

The completed keel/stem assembly with the false keel sections dry-fitted below. Each false keel section

was ca. 24 feet in length and 7 inches deep. I originally thought they were attached with staples,

but nails were more likely in this era. 

post-639-0-56347800-1420147663_thumb.jpg

Gluing black velum to the false keel sections to simulate tarred flannel. 

post-639-0-95684800-1420147695_thumb.jpg

Gluing the false keel to the keel assembly. Note the final shaping of the lower stem piece has not been completed.

post-639-0-67135500-1420147732_thumb.jpg

The 1836 plans indicate that false keel thinned as it ran forward; here I've mark off its run prior to final sanding.

post-639-0-28109600-1420147775_thumb.jpg

The completed piece. Unfortunately the fluorescent lights I'm using don't do the richness

of the Swiss Pear justice  - indeed they make the wood look quite dry and pale when it actually is not. 

post-639-0-29029000-1420147821_thumb.jpg

A view of the simple false keel scarphs near the centre of the keel. The false keel was designed

to tear away in the case of a grounding and was essential on bomb, merchant, and exploration ships.

Note that this is the port side of the keel (fore is on the left). 

post-639-0-68691500-1420147867_thumb.jpg

Profile piece and station bulkheads cut from 1/4 inch plywood (no matter what I do I cannot get this picture to display

correctly  - sorry!). 

post-639-0-81223800-1420147905_thumb.jpg

Cutting the slots for the station bulkheads. 

post-639-0-39351500-1420147906_thumb.jpg

Deburring with some wonderful scroll-saw sanding strips I purchased from Lee Valley.

post-639-0-90640900-1420147906_thumb.jpg

The profile piece with all the bulkhead slots cut out. The fore and aft slots will be finished after the

keel is glued to the profile piece and the mast slots will be removed when the station bulkheads are all in place. 

post-639-0-34884500-1420147907_thumb.jpg

The keel assembly and profile piece prior to gluing. 

post-639-0-86229800-1420147907_thumb.jpg

The keel was pegged and glued to the profile section. 

post-639-0-34161900-1420147908_thumb.jpg

The pegs continued up the stem. 

post-639-0-90275200-1420147908_thumb.jpg

The keel assembly glued to the profile piece. Everything is square as far as I can tell - but the

clamping required was far too ugly to show here! The stern assembly will be fitted when the bolsters

for the propeller aperture are added and will need to be glued in the vertical position. 

post-639-0-50400700-1420147909_thumb.jpg

Captain Crozier inspects the boxing.

Edited by E&T

Things in the shipyard are shaping up.... that's good news.   And it's wonderful that all your research is paying off.  May 2015 be a great year for you and Terror.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 months later...

Mr. Diggle’s Galley Stove

(this is an abridged version of a post on my Building HMS Terror blog)

I haven’t posted in some time, as I have been busy with several exciting side projects, which I hope to reveal here in due course. In the meantime, work continues of my model and plans when I can find time. The stern of Terror is almost completed and I’ll post my progress here shortly. I’ve also recently finished elevations/profiles of fittings located on the forward crew deck, including the sail bin, the mess tables, and crew trunks/benches.

One problem with drafting elevations in this area of the ship has been a lack of detailed information on Terror’s galley stove.  We know that Terror was fitted with a “Fraser’s patent” stove for its 1836-37 Arctic expedition and that both Erebus and Terror were fitted with these stoves for the 1839-1843 Antarctic voyage. It is widely assumed that the same stoves were used for the Franklin Expedition.

Both the 1836/1837 (Terror) and 1839 (Terror and Erebus) plan sets show an iron stove of the same size and shape, with forward facing boilers, a rather large hotplate, and three access doors on one side (starboard). Both sets of plans show a water tank hanging from the upper deck beams directly over the stove, and in the 1836/1837 plans the stove is connected via a short pipe to the tank. However, the 1839 plan set shows an additional box-like projection with rounded corners abutting the front of the stove. The projection has a forward facing door, and seems to be designed to articulate with the stove’s fire place, while being a separate accessory. What this object was has remained a mystery.

post-639-0-26988400-1427451198_thumb.jpg

Fraser's patent stoves as they appear on the two HMS Terror plan sets.

Note the additional device attached to the 1839 stove. 

Comparing the Royal Navy draughts to Fraser’s designs indicates that a patent filed by Fraser in 1822 [1] closely matches the general shape and dimensions of the stoves installed on HMS Terror in 1836 and 1839. Fraser’s stove was intended to be compact and was therefore only suitable for smaller vessels such as brigs and merchant ships.  Beyond the narrow width, the major difference between Fraser’s 1822 patent and the Terror plans is the position of the boilers. However, an 1833 engraving of a “Frazer patent sort” [2] stove indicates that Fraser later increased the width of the stove and placed two identically sized coppers side by side, thereby increasing the size of the hotplate at the front of the stove while reducing the size of the oven.  This 1833 sketch is in fact very similar to the stove depicted on the 1836/1837 Terror plans.

post-639-0-16613000-1427451287_thumb.jpg

My interpretation of the appearance and design of "Fraser's Patent Stove" on HMS Terror.

The plans incorporates scale details from the 1822 patent, the 1833 engraving, and the

HMS Terror plan sets. 

A significant attribute of the Fraser stove was the inclusion of folding or removable plates that could be closed down over the fireplace during bad weather. Previously, ship stoves had to be put out in stormy weather due to risk of fire from stray embers. This seems to have been a critical selling point, and in 1830 Henry Beeston and Company, who held the manufacturing rights, marketed the stoves as the “Fraser’s safety ships’ hearth” [3].

What was the additional device added to the Fraser stoves in 1839? Interestingly, a clue may come from documents relating to HMS Beagle [4]. Navy correspondence from 1831 indicates a new Fraser stove was purchased for Beagle in 1831, at a cost of £ 46.10s.  However, it appears that Fraser included an additional device in the shipment, as noted by Captain FitzRoy:

“Hamoaze, 24 Aug. 1831.  I beg to inform you that the patent Galley Stove

made by Mr. Fraser of Shadwell for the use of the Beagle, is furnished with

an additional bread oven which I find increases the expense £ 17.  As this oven

will be of the greatest use in baking bread for the Ship's Company, I hope it will

be allowed by the Navy Board without my paying for it myself.” [5]

In his later account of the voyage, FitzRoy makes it clear that this additional device was not a standalone piece and articulated directly with the Fraser stove: ”…one of Frazer's [sic] stoves, with an oven attached, was taken instead of a common “galley” fire-place…” [6]

Could the accessory on the Terror’s Fraser stove have been a bread oven? Most 19th century iron galleys were designed to accept accessories at the front of the fireplace, including meat spits, racks, and various other attachments. It is possible that the accessory was a bread oven, though it could be another more common cooking accessory, such as a hastener or hot closet.

As far as I am aware, only one Fraser stove is known to have survived to modern times, and it is sitting on the lower deck of HMS Erebus, at the bottom of Queen Maud Gulf, in roughly 12 meters of water. Hopefully, this fascinating piece of Victorian technology – which played a central role for the crews on some of the greatest sea voyages ever conducted – will be revealed by Parks Canada in the coming weeks.

post-639-0-30848000-1427451284_thumb.jpg

Terror's galley stove was quite small, as indicated by a scale Captain 

Crozier. The height between decks in this area was only six feet.

Footnotes:

1: Moxon, John, and Fraser, James.  1824. Patents for Improvements in Ship’s Cabouses, etc. The Repertory of Arts, Manufactures, and Agriculture. London: Repertory Office. Pages 268-275.

2. E.W.B. 1833. Apparatus for Freshening Salt Water. Mechanic’s Magazine, Museum, Register, Journal and Gazette. No. 501, Saturday, March 16, 1833. London: M. Salmon.  Pages 335-336.

3. 1830. The Law Advertiser, Volume 8. London: J.W. Pagent. Page 465.

4. ADM 106/1346

5. ADM 106/1346

6. FitzRoy, Robert. 1839. Proceedings of the Second Expedition, 1831- 1836, Under the Command of Captain Robert FitzRoy, R.N. Narrative of Surveying Voyages of His Majesty's Ships Adventure and Beagle, Between The Years 1826 And 1836, Describing their Examination of the Southern Shores of South America, and The Beagle's Circumnavigation of the Globe. Volume 11. London: Henry Colburn. Page 18.

Edited by E&T