HMS Terror by E&T - Scale 1:48, POB, as fitted for polar service in 1845 - Finished

A short behind the scenes video outlining what you can expect from "The Terror". You even get to see me on set, next to a 1:1 recreation of the toughest ship ever to set sail. It was an honest privilege to work with these talented people. 

http://m.ca.ign.com/articles/2018/02/12/the-terror-amc-horror-series-will-give-you-nightmares-but-not-for-the-reasons-youd-expect

• 1 month later...

Well, E&T, welcome to the club of those of us whose work has been ripped off by the unscrupulous. I suppose imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but it is still  unethical and unconscionable. 

Unfortunately, unless you have very deep pockets and can afford international legal costs (which these pirates know only too well is unlikely) there is nothing you can do other than alert the moderators on this site to post a warning to members to shun this offering.

My condolences.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Miserable SOBs!!!! What cheek! Again, my condolences. I suppose you could try calling their bluff for royalties....

Edited by druxey

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Hi E&T.

There is no way they have been able to resurch like you have... Shame on Occre. 

I don't what else to say. Gutted.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Damn.. bastards strike again.   By all means, PM the moderators.  If they ban the kit from MSW, it might give you some leverage, like royalties for removing the ban.   Who would have thought they would pull a Chinese....

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

If its true and I suspect that it is.....then its not just the kit from Ocre that should be banned.   Its the only way they will learn but yes....lets see what they have to say.

Hello Everyone,

An encouraging update. OcCre just wrote and have admitted that they used my designs/research to create their model - and they are willing to acknowledge and recognize that in some way. 

I think it's a good sign. The next step will be for me to request copies of their packaging, plans, and instructions that will go with the kit to see exactly what I'm dealing with. Recognition is good, though I admit this isn't the kit I would have made. It's actually a relatively decent kit for what it is, though.  

I'll keep posting updates, but I admit I didn't expect this response, and I'm cautiously optimistic. 

Cheers, 
E&T

E&T,

If you haven't, it might be useful to mention your work on the Canadian Commemorative stamp, your exhibition at the NMM, and your work as a technical advisor on the AMC series. These are due to your excellent work, and may give you a little more leverage with Occre.

Just a thought. I hope things work out well for you.

Harvey

15 hours ago, capnharv2 said:

E&T,

If you haven't, it might be useful to mention your work on the Canadian Commemorative stamp, your exhibition at the NMM, and your work as a technical advisor on the AMC series. These are due to your excellent work, and may give you a little more leverage with Occre.

Just a thought. I hope things work out well for you.

Harvey

Great advice Harvey. Much appreciated. 

Fantastic research, and now I started watching The Terror show :) It is great when enthusiasts are recognised and are invited to participate in relevant projects.

You are one of the luckiest modellers out there, your unique model got way more views by general public than most of the others. Looking forward for further updates in the log, and hope that the Occre story would have a semi-happy-ending!

Edited by Mike Y

Hi Mike and Steve, 

Thanks very much for the very nice comments. Yes, I agree, I am a very lucky fellow. If I had chosen a different subject for my project none of this would have happened. It was the right project, and the right forums/blogs, at the right time. And I had a lot of help and advice from wonderful people on the MSW forums. Without them, I'd be lost! I still can't believe that so many would take time from their busy schedules and lives to help with personal messages and advice. It's a special group of people, here. 

Thanks again, 

E&T

Edited by Erebus and Terror

A small update, folks. Negotiations with OcCre have progressed nicely and we have resolved the issue to my satisfaction. As soon as all the paper is signed I'll announce it on the forums. I was impressed by their handling of the issue; they take intellectual property and copyright pretty seriously. Thanks for all the support and advice from everyone here!

Excellent news, E&T! Too bad they did not establish authorship before they went ahead. Hopefully, they will on another occasion.

I'm impressed.   That is excellent news.  It provides a nice example to certain other kit makers which I hope would catch on and do the right thing.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello There Folks, 

Some great news involving the OcCre model; we have reached an agreement and they are providing full attribution of my research and plans (even on the packaging). 

More info here, including a chance to win a model kit! 

https://buildingterror.blogspot.ca/2018/04/building-your-own-hms-terror.html

Now after all this diversion...back to my own model!

Cheers, 

E&T

P.S. Yesterday was the 171st anniversary of the desertion of HMS Terror and Erebus. 

well.....I am very sorry that I lost track of this project!  I've been watching the show........darn good series!  I can't wait till it comes out on DVD....definitely will be added to my collection :)    superb modeling and intricate detail......very nice workmanship..and man!....I absolutely love that deck!   very sorry to hear of what went down...glad that a compromise could be reached  :) 

quite an accomplishment!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 4 weeks later...

E&T,

BRILLIANT work, found your log from a posting that Denis (Popeye the sailor) made about your build at the link that I had posted regarding the OcCre version.

I had NO idea - when I posted - that your research and work had almost been stolen by OcCre - SO happy that things have been resolved to your satisfaction.

The series should also help drive sales for this particular ship, I would think?

I will go back and spend a lot of quality time going through your amazing build log, and I will bring a ladder so as to catch your continued work

from way back in your deservedly crowded shipyard 

Regards,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

On 5/20/2018 at 10:10 AM, md1400cs said:

E&T,

BRILLIANT work, found your log from a posting that Denis (Popeye the sailor) made about your build at the link that I had posted regarding the OcCre version.

I had NO idea - when I posted - that your research and work had almost been stolen by OcCre - SO happy that things have been resolved to your satisfaction.

The series should also help drive sales for this particular ship, I would think?

I will go back and spend a lot of quality time going through your amazing build log, and I will bring a ladder so as to catch your continued work

from way back in your deservedly crowded shipyard 

Regards,

Thank you Micahel, I really appreciate the kind words. 

I ws under the impression that it would only be a one season series............looks like there will be a season 2.   I haven't seen the finally,  but I read something about it online.......will there be a season 2?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

37 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

I ws under the impression that it would only be a one season series............looks like there will be a season 2.   I haven't seen the finally,  but I read something about it online.......will there be a season 2?

Thanks for the comment! There may be be a second season (it hasn’t been announced yet), but this was always meant to be an anthology series. So, if they get a second season it won’t be about the Franklin Expedition, unfortunately. It will be a completely different story.