Medway Longboat 1742 1/2" scale - by doxidad

I finally have had time to start on the Longboat. I found that this is a good re-starter kit for me - the last one was over 45-50 years ago and was never completed due to a whole bunch of things - mainly life.  I did spend some of that time building flying models and some small furniture so i have some experience with wood. I am not a great craftsman by any means, but I try and a I enjoy it.

To date I have built both versions of the keel just to see what I can do. I did build 2 versions of the half lap keel - the first not so good - the second is what I selected and I am now on my way.

I have the first 5 frames fitted and have the rest of the frames built and ready to start fitting. I did leave the transom off for the moment so I can rough fit the frames without breaking it off  - I'm sure I would.

20201225_121603.thumb.jpg.946a3ac539eab0d4bffefc5a74e803b1.jpg.

I'd like to thank all of you for your build logs. I learned a lot about the tricks and pitfalls you all have found.

Also - Chuck for the great well thought out kit

Hope you all had a Merry Christmas and will have a great New Year.

Tom

Edited by doxidad
tag

You are off to a good start.  Glad to see another Medway Longboat started.  Don't forget the simulated bolts on the keel.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Good to see another Medway Longboat on the blocks. Take your time and enjoy the build - this is a really well designed kit but it does offer a few challenges along the way. You’re off to a great start.