Sutcliffe 1/72 vac form Coronado

philo426

liking the color and progress a lot .........are there to be wing tips?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

that's interesting.........they have a dual purpose.........

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Yep, wing tip floats first showed up on the PBY Catalina I believe in '35, they had been licensed from Saunders-Roe...... A very innovative clean design.... Consolidated kept it when they designed the Coronado...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

1 hour ago, philo426 said:

The outer braces represent the cabkes that I'll the tips into flying configuration.

Actually, they were hydraulically operated.... 

Here is an example of how they functioned...

Yes this is a scale model but the retracts are modeled to function the same way the real ones did.... 

Also yes this is a PBY not a Coronado, but the mechanism was licensed by Consolidated from Saunders-Roe and they were not allowed to change it....

The Coronado had the exact same function... No cables involved....

a106e3e83f3964bfe0417fd4c4beec33.thumb.jpg.b4ff10e11c5db281286bdab5fdc9bdd3.jpg

It was hydraulically actuated mechanics...

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

17 minutes ago, philo426 said:

Looks like I messed up a bit !

Simple fix brother..... a flat panel on the bottom of the wing and an x brace to the outside........ 

She is just too purty.....

Quote:

it appears that if the vac form wasn't molded with the 'boxes and slots',  it might be hard to do........your dealing with some pretty thin stuff ;)   looks really good though........

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I wouldn't mess with it.........looks like a huge undertaking.  if it looks like it could damage the model.......one thing I look at when I need to do something over ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

49 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

I wouldn't mess with it.........looks like a huge undertaking.  if it looks like it could damage the model.......one thing I look at when I need to do something over ;) 

9 minutes ago, philo426 said:

True the instructions were iffy at best!

Yeah, but there isn't much to change and you shouldn't have to cut the wing.... The inner hinged panel if a flat piece of plastic cut into an appropriate shape and a X shaped folding brace on the outside, then a single shaft from the middle of the brace to just inside the hinge point of the inner panel in the middle....

Just a couple of hours is all it would take....

With them down, there is no need to relieve the wing recess as most wouldn't know the difference....

But it is your airplane, and it's looking good....

Quote:

You are fearless!

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

well...it looks great ;)   although I think your inboard props want to jump ship!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: