USS Constitution by ERS Rich - Model Shipways

2 minutes ago, helmarsowick said:

Rich,

Beautiful build and great shop. 

I've been looking everywhere for the stern decor with no luck. Looking for Eagle, name plate and other vertical pieces.

Can you help?

Helmar

Not sure where to go for that….Bluejacket Shipcrafters may offer an Eagle….good luck!

If your model kit is from Model Shipways purchased from Model Expo, they will replace parts that you lost messed up, etc., no questions asked free of charge.

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

• 5 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
On 3/18/2021 at 5:22 PM, ERS Rich said:

Used a spacer block 9/32” wide for uniform spacing from the bottom of the planksheer to the top of the sill.

In case you're still occasionally checking in...

I'm at this stage in the Practicum (framing lower gun ports) and was considering the same technique you used here.  If the stock that came with my kit was consistently 1/8" wide, then this should work nicely.  My stock varies as much as 1/64" and I need to source (or figure out how to fabricate my own) 1/8" x 3/64" plank stock.   

I noticed that the text in the quote above disagrees with the photo that follows.  9/32"  vs 17/32".  I assume the photograph of the spacer has the correct dimension marked on it.

Since you used Bob Hunt's Practicum, and did such a nice job, I plan to touch base here anytime I run into issues - which seems to be fairly frequently.

Thanks for keeping the build log at MSW for us newbies to follow.

On 10/24/2022 at 8:09 PM, JSGerson said:

If your model kit is from Model Shipways purchased from Model Expo, they will replace parts that you lost messed up, etc., no questions asked free of charge.

Jon, I reached out to Model Expo for replacement planking stock.  They don't seem to want to reply.  I tried a Google search for Model Shipways and haven't found any contact information.  Do you have a web link for Model Shipways?  or a phone number?  

Thanks 

Peter

2 hours ago, Der Alte Rentner said:

9/32"  vs 17/32".

Hello,

Yes, the text is/was incorrect.  

I can’t recall exactly, but I did either rip the kit stock to what was needed, or made my own.  

The Byrnes table saw is a valuable tool.

My Constitution is on hold at the moment.  Photo below shows the gun-ports with the covers installed.

Cheers,

-Rich

image.thumb.jpg.8f054f6dfc1fe82d68a0633a4ba3fe80.jpg

Edited by ERS Rich

Peter, at the bottom of MS webpage, there is a button for "parts request." Also I have listed their phone number as (800) 222-3876. I don't know if this number is still viable as I haven't had a need to use it for quite some time.

BTW, if you ever buy just one hobby power tool, The Byrnes saw is worth every penny.

Jon

Without seeing your situation, I would use CA glue provided you have enough surface area to glue and that the surfaces to be glued are clean.

Jon

On 9/27/2023 at 11:19 AM, JSGerson said:

Peter, at the bottom of MS webpage, there is a button for "parts request." Also I have listed their phone number as (800) 222-3876. I don't know if this number is still viable as I haven't had a need to use it for quite some time.

BTW, if you ever buy just one hobby power tool, The Byrnes saw is worth every penny.

Jon

My browser strikes out on any search for Model Shipways.  Instead, one is directed to Model Expo, where I purchased the kit.  I've tried calling that number, but it goes straight to voicemail, which then instructs you to send an email, which in turn is never responded to. I didn't think my thickness drum sander was capable of sanding down to 3/64", but it works beautifully, so I took Ace Hardware 1/8" x 1/16" stock basswood and worked it down to 1/8" x 3/64" planks. Any basswood strips I've gotten at Ace have been spot on dimensionally.  So, my work around for the miserablely made stock in the kit will be to find the nearest size standard stock at Ace and sand it to the dimensions I need.

As for the Byrnes Saw, they seem to only be available through e-bay - at a price.  Byrnes itself i on "temporary" hiatus.  Given the plethora of woodworking gear I have, I can probably make due without it.  BTW, the MicroLux miniature table saw is useless.  

Thanks for the feedback.

Best

Peter

Model Expo and Model Shipways are the same company. I have found that they don't respond to parts request emails but the parts show up in the mail anyway.

• 1 month later...
On 10/7/2023 at 2:43 PM, usedtosail said:

Model Expo and Model Shipways are the same company. I have found that they don't respond to parts request emails but the parts show up in the mail anyway.

They have ignored repeated emails and phone calls, and have not sent any replacement stock.  I've unsubscribed to their site and won't buy another thing from Model Expo.  I went another route on the stock.  

Yikes! how did I miss your post?  

On 10/2/2023 at 6:23 AM, Der Alte Rentner said:

Jon

You're probably right.  But finding one isn't so easy.  I'll be back in the shipyard starting tomorrow and will reassess my need for one.  My beef with the one I did buy was the horrible clamping on the fence.  Also, to be practical for small pieces that one would be cutting on a saw of this size, the safety gear only interferes.  How well can you dial in the fence for repeated cuts?  Does that screw clamp put dimples in the guide rod?  

I bought the Byrnes table saw 16 yrs ago and it is worth every penny!!  Absolutely could not make the Flying Fish without it!!  I’ ended up milling almost all of my wood stock as the wood  supplied with the kit is inadequate!

Jim Brynes takes an occasional break but his table saw is still available,

Rick

I got my Byrnes saw about ten years ago, and it still works as well now as the day I got it. However, getting a new Byrnes saw may be more difficult. It was just recently announced that Jim Byrnes, that wonderful man who made the saws, died a few weeks ago. Whether the shop will make more is not known. The shop has reopened, but at present, they they are only selling what's in stock. He will be missed.

Jon

Edited by JSGerson

1 hour ago, Der Alte Rentner said:

They have ignored repeated emails and phone calls, and have not sent any replacement stock.  I've unsubscribed to their site and won't buy another thing from Model Expo.  I went another route on the stock.  

Yikes! how did I miss your post?  

You're probably right.  But finding one isn't so easy.  I'll be back in the shipyard starting tomorrow and will reassess my need for one.  My beef with the one I did buy was the horrible clamping on the fence.  Also, to be practical for small pieces that one would be cutting on a saw of this size, the safety gear only interferes.  How well can you dial in the fence for repeated cuts?  Does that screw clamp put dimples in the guide rod?  

I noticed that they have a special form that you have to fill out in order to  get replacement parts.

I think it is under Contact US:

image.thumb.png.f40a5a6b586a1420cdc150a1a1f9b5b7.png

On 11/28/2023 at 11:35 AM, targa4403 said:

I noticed that they have a special form that you have to fill out in order to  get replacement parts.

I may try again, though I've already purchased replacement stock.  Unfortunately the supplier provided a much darker wood.  I think as long as I'll use that below where I left off on the Starboard gunports, the color contrast won't bother me - if I decide not to paint...

Thanks for the tip targa4403

On 11/29/2023 at 3:57 PM, Der Alte Rentner said:
On 11/28/2023 at 11:35 AM, targa4403 said:

Fail...

Clicking where it says "Click here" returns this:

image.thumb.png.8a6a5c1a71e69a315c1a5c884a075127.png

However, there's no place on the page where a cursor works.  Assuming these were just directions, I searched for the part number from the kit (WP 3660 1/8" x 3/64" slats).  The instructions suggest loading up the shopping cart, then providing detail in Comments at checkout.  Since the part wasn't found on the search, there was no way to add the material to the shopping cart.  

And since the Contact Page has this warning, "(Sending Parts requests thru our regular Contact Form Below will Delay your Request, Please use the Link Above)", I didn't bother using the contact page.  Emails and phone calls to Model Expo have never been returned, so why bother.

I went with plan B for now.  Bought 1/8" x 1/16" stock at Ace Hardware and used my thickness sander to shave off 1/64".  Actually, that was plan C.  Plan B was to contact the supplier that Model Expo uses to get the materials for their kits.  I did order stock from him, but the wood he provided is decidedly darker and grainy.  I will use this for all the planking starting two rows below the gun covers.  At least both sides of the hull will match, and if I don't paint, it should look pretty nice.

I am NOT impressed with Model Expo.  They will not permit contact past point of sale.  That seems like a lousy way to run a business.  

Thanks for the suggestion.  Sorry it didn't pan out. 

On 12/1/2023 at 11:45 AM, Der Alte Rentner said:

Thanks for the suggestion.

and it may yet pan out!   I did use the Contact page to send them a message after all, and lo and behold:

I just received an email reply, "A ticket was issued for replacement stock for the USS Constitution".   The 1/8 x 3/64" stock will likely arrive too late to do me any good, but I sure will need the 3/32 x 3/64" stock.  I can't easily make that myself - though I did just take possession of a Proxxon Micro table saw.  Maybe I could rip my own, but I'd rather not.

Thanks yet again targa!

Best

On 9/26/2023 at 7:16 PM, ERS Rich said:

My Constitution is on hold at the moment.  Photo below shows the gun-ports with the covers installed.

Cheers,

-Rich

Sorry about the time lag in asking this question, but the photo you sent shows the gun-port covers installed, but not the cannons.  Was there a reason they weren't installed.  I'm going through hoops on the port side of my build to do those ports a different way.  Had I opted to simply keep the covers closed, I could have saved a ton of time by not worrying about where and how the cannons would install (on either side).  Filler blocks are the easy way to go in that case.  

Just curious...

Don't forget to leave your boots outside the front door for Saint Nicholas tonight.

Best

Peter  

17 minutes ago, Der Alte Rentner said:

Sorry about the time lag

Hello,

Cannons not installed because they need finishing.

The supplied backplates are installed.  To do this, the gun port covers were installed, and a cannon was used to align the backplate before the adhesive set.

Cheers!

19 hours ago, ERS Rich said:

Cannons not installed because they need finishing.

The supplied backplates are installed.  To do this, the gun port covers were installed, and a cannon was used to align the backplate before the adhesive set.

Cheers!

Aha!

Thanks for the clarification.  

and Happy Saint Nicholas Day. 

• 3 weeks later...

Unrelated to the previous conversation:

Just a word of thanks Rich.  I was starting the planking of the wale yesterday and stopped to do some research.  I posted a question in my own build log on the subject, but then did a search on "Constitution wale" and among the results was your build.  I spent the morning poring over it, making notes, "borrowing" photos, and comparing to the Practicum.  Your photos provided much more detail than those provided in the Hunt Practicum and have solidified in my mind the process going forward.  I copied some portions of your planking discussion and printed it to have on hand at my shop.

Thanks for posting such exhaustive detail.  (and for chiming in with opinions and answers when I've inquired)

Saint Nicholas Day has come and gone,  So

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you!

Best

Peter

• 1 month later...

Hey Rich,

After you provided feedback to my comments in SUBaron's Conny build log, I dove back into your log.  Having just finished the wales and about to embark on planking down to the keel, I took particular note of these sections of your log. 

E0FE3E1F-E5B5-4761-8DD7-FB4C3DED82A0.jpeg.401fd5f9ca9c6429c416c03a722aa25d.jpeg

In the photos above (post 60), I noticed that the first two gun ports on the portside are lower by a plank or two from those on the starboard side.  Fearing I screwed up yet again, I consulted the Practicum and confirmed that his build has symmetry between port and starboard sides.  Did I miss yet another detail? (Let's call that a rhetorical question.  Too late for me if I did).

It's been a while since I've looked at your build log.  Coming at it with the benefit of hindsight, I'm even more impressed at the level of detail you provided. 

Lastly, that's quite the collection of future builds you have there...

Best

Peter 

Edited by Der Alte Rentner
added photo from ERS Rich build log

On 12/5/2023 at 12:50 PM, Der Alte Rentner said:

I did use the Contact page to send them a message after all, and lo and behold:

I just received an email reply, "A ticket was issued for replacement stock for the USS Constitution". 

I'm glad I stumbled upon this post.  That was Dec 5, 2023.  As of Fed 3, 2024,  still have not received replacement stock for the USS Constitution from Model Expo.  (In case someone from Model Expo is checking in to MSW, see Ticket #22286.)

I've moved on on my own.  Very disappointing experience...

Edited by Der Alte Rentner
added text