Hello, from (Dutch living in) Spain

Ruud109

Hello and thank you for having me here!

My name is Ruud, 43 years old, Dutch and living close to Barcelona in Catalunya, Spain. Been living here for 5+ years and speak the language.

I have been a modeler for as long as I can remember, the last years mainly focussing on RC cars and have built around 15 of them. In the past I did do quite a bit of plastic modeling and about 20 years ago I tried my hand at a Billing Boats kit with disastrous effects (it ended up in the fire place - lack of understanding, tools and perseverance plus the whole instructions didn't make any sense). 

But being older, wiser and more patient I am here browsing around and giving it another try. I read a lot of threads, including the ones talking about not biting of more than you can chew when you start. So I am really here to get started, I allready have a Midwest kit on the way to me, the Chesapeake bay flattie, found fairly cheap on Ebay with sensible shipping to Spain. 

I am also on the look out for something a bit more challenging, a double plank on frame (I don't want a solid hull) but struggling to decide what I want. I like the Nostre Mare (a boat with history near by from where I live) but not convinced on the A/L quality from what I read. It seems the Occre Polaris is a popular choice (also local), but somehow the model doesn't speak to me that much. I know I will stay away from Billing boats - though my dream would be either a Banckert or a Smit Nederland RC as I have a weird fetish for tug boats. I am, from what I can see online, in the Model Shipways boats, and a boat like the Emma C Berry, or an armed virginnia sloop appeals to me but not sure if this is a too challenging kit for now. I must admit, the whole planking scares me the most of a build. 

I prefer to fork out a bit more money for a kit that appeals to me, has at least half decent instructions and quality of wood in general is decent. 

So expect me to keep on nosing around here, any guidance around what would be a good first kit would be appreciated (yes I have read the thread about first choices) . 

Ps any fellow modelers here close by? Sent me a pm!

Un abrazo, 

Ruud 

Edited by Ruud109

Welcome aboard, Ruud!

Planking is a scary first-time task for just about everyone, but it is doable, and there is plenty of guidance here. The flattie is an excellent and nearly fool-proof starter kit. Someone with your modeling background may enjoy adding some extra details to the basic kit. If you like working boats, you might be interested in some of the kits from MarisStella; they have a number of Mediterranean workboats in their line.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Ruud,

Welcome to MSW.  :piratebo5:

Your post resonates with me on many levels.  My first ship model also went into the fireplace.  If I knew then what I know now I would have disassembled it (using isopropyl alcohol) and made corrections.  It still probably would have gone into the fire, but I would have learned by experimentation.

Not biting off more than you can chew and working on something that appeals to you is a good realistic approach.  Despite how it looks, simple is not always easy but is a good way to get a feel for the basics.  When done well, they can be very attractive models.  I have found that working on something that interests me keep me going when I get frustrated...and brings me back when I have taken some time off.

There are some really good kits out there and some bad ones...and there are some not so good ones that can be made good with a little effort and research.  Spending some time and looking at other build logs can help you decide as well as help you with you build. 

Best wishes.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Hello Ruud, welcome to MSW.   For planking, have a look at the tutorials here:  https://modelshipworld.com/forum/98-planking-downloads-and-tutorials-and-videos/     I suggest looking/reading/watching all of them and then pick one to use.   Also, do start a log as it's one the best ways to get help.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you all!

I have seen a kit on ebay that looks appealing. Its the Capri from Mantua. Been looking here but seems there is no build log at all, so must be something a bit out of the ordinary I guess. Anyway it seems a not to complicated built and the ship really talks to me. It was cheap, so I ordered it. So now have 2 ships on my way to Spain, one from UK and one from US. Patience!

Ruud 

s-l500.jpg

Edited by Ruud109
updated with photo

Welcome to MSW! 

There are tons of planking resources available for you here on MSW and the NRG, there are also lots of books available to read. What you will find though, is though the results may be the same a lot of people have different methods for planking and lining the hull. You will get the hang of it eventually! 

Personally I prefer Model Shipway kits, the instructions are usually very detailed and easy to follow and the quality of the kits is usually pretty good. I’m not sure how much shipping to Spain would be though, good luck and I’m looking forward to following your builds! 

Bradley

Current Builds:

Flying Fish - Model Shipways - 1:96

Future Builds:

Young America 1853 - Scratch Build - 1:72

Completed Builds:

HMS Racehorse - Mantua - 1:47 (No pictures unfortunately)

Providence Whale Boat - Artesania Latina - 1:25 (Also no pictures)

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Shelved Builds:

Pride of Baltimore 2 - Model Shipways - 1:64 (Also no pictures)

Hi Bradley, yes from the looks of it I very much like the model shipway kits. However shipping and import duties to Spain will be a lot, though Cornwall model boats in UK do stock them so perhaps at some point in future I will get one. 

For now I am waiting for my Midwest kit to arrive from US, and the Mantua Capri kit from UK to get me started. 

Welcom from your native country, Ruud. You'll find enough instructions in the database of the NRG, and if you start a log, good advice from many members here at MSW.

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...