HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Frank Wouts 1/48

Hi,

I'm Dutch, live in the south of Holland, in Breda with my wife and three daughters (yes poor me, that's four woman under our roof 🙂).

I am new here and hoping being able to start to build HMS Winchelsea  1764 in 1/48 as well.
Inspired by all the other beautiful builds here, I'm now in the pre project phase and making my list of materials

(writing a PID and making a product break down list in project terms).

And then off to the (online) shops to order my wood and others.

Oh, and ofcourse wait for the PM from Chuck with access to the download link of the plans.

Thanks,

Frank.

Edited by FrankWouts
typo

Current builds on MSW:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48

Prior builds on MSW:

None

13 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Welcome Frank.  You are all set.  Enjoy the project.

Thanks Chuck,
First of all Happy New Year and good health for you and your loved ones. Stay healthy above all!
I'm also reading on in your beautiful build as well with some nice left over 'oliebollen' ('deep-fried rasin buns' google-translate says) with powdered sugar from New Years eve and a big mug of coffee.

Thanks for enabling me and making this whole group project possible!
Now I'll have to see, what I will be scratch building, probably the frames and false keel... I'm not much of a boxwood carver I'm afraid, still thinking of taking lessons in carving here in Breda in the oldest art school of the country ( St. Joost Arts & Design School Breda).

But perhaps making a jump start with the starter kit isn't a bad idea too, why not.
Am I missing some hyperlinks (to the Syren website?) to the starter kit and the CNC carved boxwood, or isn't the latter available for sales?
On the Syren website it says it's 'down for maintenance' at the moment, so maybe I'll check again later...

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

Welcome aboard and happy New Year, Frank.  Those oliebollen sound delicious.  I wish I had some too!  This is a fun project with lots of members to help and encourage you.  There are Winnies being built all over the world right now.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Welcome aboard and happy New Year, Frank.  Those oliebollen sound delicious.  I wish I had some too!  This is a fun project with lots of members to help and encourage you.  There are Winnies being built all over the world right now.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Hi Matt, thank you, you and your family too a Happy New Year and yes, they taste great, but already on day one not inline anymore with my new year's resolutions of losing some extra weight this year....

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

16 minutes ago, FrankWouts said:

Thanks Chuck,
First of all Happy New Year and good health for you and your loved ones. Stay healthy above all!
I'm also reading on in your beautiful build as well with some nice left over 'oliebollen' ('deep-fried rasin buns' google-translate says) with powdered sugar from New Years eve and a big mug of coffee.

Thanks for enabling me and making this whole group project possible!
Now I'll have to see, what I will be scratch building, probably the frames and false keel... I'm not much of a boxwood carver I'm afraid, still thinking of taking lessons in carving here in Breda in the oldest art school of the country ( St. Joost Arts & Design School Breda).

But perhaps making a jump start with the starter kit isn't a bad idea too, why not.
Am I missing some hyperlinks (to the Syren website?) to the starter kit and the CNC carved boxwood, or isn't the latter available for sales?
On the Syren website it says it's 'down for maintenance' at the moment, so maybe I'll check again later...

Hi Frank and welcome to the build! It’s a fantastic project that will definitely elevate your shipbuilding skills.
You should be able to order the cnc boxwood carvings from msw member Jack @hjx. I used them on my Winnie and they look fabulous, like a master carved them by hand! There’s also the resin ones through Syren which a lot of the guys are using and they are also extremely convincing if colored correctly. 
good luck with your Winnie and start posting right away!

JJ

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

Hartelijk welkom in de Winchelsea werf. Ik wens je heel veel plezier met dit mooie project.

Welcome to the Winchelsea shipyard. I wish you a lot of fun with this beautyful project.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Hi Frank and to want to welcome you to the group. It's a great model and a fantastic group of modelers to build with. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Hi all, many thanks for the warm welcome and first tips already!
I'm off to the wood store in a few minutes for a (large: I did not have a plank that large here...) building plank and I understand from chuck's reply I can place my order at the Syren shop for chapter 1 tomorrow. And maybe more depending on the price: I'm sure I will also have to pay custom duties again... a price we have to pay for delaying our shipments for a few days :-). So maybe first only order chapter 1, it will keep me busy for the coming months, so I'll see.

Though I printed the 29 pages with false keel and bulkheads (on A3 paper in Europe), I'm not sawing the bulkheads, as I cannot saw more accurate than a laser I'm sure. Also in the mean time I'm trying to find a print shop in the neighbourhood that can print the other four large sheets.
So my first picture posts may be coming next week.

Thanks, Frank.

Edited by FrankWouts
spelling/type errors

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

Hi all,
Small update from me. Still without pictures unfortunately...
I ordered all sets from Syren (to combine and thus save shipping costs), except the resin ornaments set, all in Yellow Cedar and boxwood where appropriate. The also already ordered ornaments set will come in CNC carved boxwood from MSW member Jack from China.
Thanks for this information JJ!!!

Also some blocks of Yellow Cedar 1/8 x 2 inch, as I would know where to find that here in Europe.
Still on my to do list for this week are:
1. Find an appropriate working plank (I was not succesfull last Saturday);

2. Printing the four large work/instruction sheets at the local copy shop;

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

Glad to hear you purchased the boxwood carvings, you will not be disappointed... you may even end up owning a cnc machine you’ll be so impressed. Looking forward to seeing your progress!

JJ

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

4 hours ago, FrankWouts said:

Also some blocks of Yellow Cedar 1/8 x 2 inch

I am not sure why you bought these as you wont really need them.   You can download the materials list for each chapter to find out what size wood sheets you need to buy.  I will replace these with the proper sizes of wood you will most likely need but you will need a lot more than just these 8 sheets.  

See here for the materials lists.

Your order will probably ship out in two boxes as they wont fit in just one.

Chuck

13 hours ago, Chuck said:

I am not sure why you bought these as you wont really need them.   You can download the materials list for each chapter to find out what size wood sheets you need to buy.  I will replace these with the proper sizes of wood you will most likely need but you will need a lot more than just these 8 sheets.  

See here for the materials lists.

Your order will probably ship out in two boxes as they wont fit in just one.

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for your tip. I'm reading lots and lots, including all of the builds here, ánd the pdf files for the four chapters. I now remember seeing those list of materials before, but had forgotten all about them, obviously...
I must have miscalculated with the inches, it's confusing for me, as I already downloaded an app for calculating to centimeters and millimeters. I think it's better to get used to 1/8 inch etcetera for me as European and read my devices in inches, though not all give inches as a reading. Funny, as the old drawings in the 17th century for the Dutch ships are also in inches (duimen) en feet (voet), with a small difference between feet in Rotterdam (shipyard 'van der Maze' e.g. build the Seven Provinces of the Admiral de Ruyter) and Amsterdam (half the Dutch fleet). But since Napolean came here, we all read meters, centimeters and millimeters and forgot about feet and inches.

Thanks however for swapping those extra sheets with the right ones...
I'll make another order hopefully by the end of the month or at the moment I can move on to chapter two.
Also because right now I'll be eating dry bread for the rest of the month with the heating off and lights out.
Two boxes? Wow, I hope my Admiral (Matt D's joke...) won't be asking where I'm going to put those big boxes...

Thanks,

Frank.

Edited by FrankWouts

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

We zetten de volgstand maar eens aan, een Bredanaar net als ik dat moet goed komen.

Good luck with your build. Will be interesting to follow.

Grts Hans

7 hours ago, YankeeD said:

We zetten de volgstand maar eens aan, een Bredanaar net als ik dat moet goed komen.

Good luck with your build. Will be interesting to follow.

Grts Hans

Hi Hans,

Thanks, I hope so, and hope I can reach only half the level that is being displayed in this group build.
For me it hopefully will be a steep learning curve, getting so much tips and help here.

Luckily the four big drawings came back from the print shop today.

I'm now waiting for the Syren shipment to come in.
Thanks,

Frank.

IMG_4181.jpg

IMG_4180.jpg

IMG_4182.jpg

IMG_4183.jpg

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

Frank, I can tell you're champing at the bit to get started with this project.  When the package arrives you will feel like a little kid at Christmas.  You should take to heart what Chuck tells so many other neophytes, to take your time and don't rush.  Read through the other build logs too, and make mental notes of where your fellow model builders have stumbled.  Fortunately, we have a number of guys in the group with keen eyes who can spot mistakes beginners often miss.  I hope you enjoy the build and the friends you will make along the way.  Happy modeling!

Frank, welcome to the group! In case you're still looking for a building board, I ended up using a pre-made laminated shelf from a local hardware store. It was cheap, really flat and straight and the lamination made it easy to clean off glue, paint and dust. Love the cigar boxes! They seem to be harder to get here these days.

Ron

Edited by Ron Burns

Current Build- HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48

13 hours ago, wyz said:

Frank, I can tell you're champing at the bit to get started with this project.  When the package arrives you will feel like a little kid at Christmas.  You should take to heart what Chuck tells so many other neophytes, to take your time and don't rush.  Read through the other build logs too, and make mental notes of where your fellow model builders have stumbled.  Fortunately, we have a number of guys in the group with keen eyes who can spot mistakes beginners often miss.  I hope you enjoy the build and the friends you will make along the way.  Happy modeling!

Hello Tom,

Ofcourse I'd like to get started right away, but don't worry I'll take my time, maybe  I won't even be doing a plank a day, but only a plank a week, Not untill it's perfectly spilled and bent... I won't glue it on until 'm 100% satisfied over its form and position...maybe there wil be more planks in the bin than on my ship eventually... But planking is not until chapter 2, so I even have time ordering the yellow cedar planks in the material list for chapter 2.
I read Chuck's instructions and they're very clear. I even confiscated my wife' travel iron already. The soldering iron plank bender gets too hot sometimes indeed. Yes, you're all more than welcome to take look at what I will be 'baking' and scan my work with your hawk's eyes...the more remarks made, the more I will learn. I'm still reading all the build logs so far and following them: yes I just hope I can avoid mistakes others made, but I'm sure I will able enough to make new ones, ones no one has made before :-).
I'm already enjoying it, reading all comments so far here and in other build logs and I'm sure I will enjoy every minute of the build once I'll get started!

Thanks!

Frank.

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

12 hours ago, Ron Burns said:

Frank, welcome to the group! In case you're still looking for a building board, I ended up using a pre-made laminated shelf from a local hardware store. It was cheap, really flat and straight and the lamination made it easy to clean off glue, paint and dust. Love the cigar boxes! They seem to be harder to get here these days.

Ron

Hello Ron,

Thanks, this build group feels like a local model club with all the warm welcomes!
Yes, I'm stil looking for a decent build board, which at the moment is difficult to obtain in person with a total lockdown in Holland, without any stores open.
I don't want to order that online as I want to inspect it in person to be 100% flat, not twisted etcetera...
That's a good tip which I'll keep in mind, hopefully I can get such a pre-made laminated shelf.
The cigar boxes here are very ugly nowadays, with ugly dirty pictures of black lungs, people with perforated necks from esophagus cancer.
So I only smoke one expensive cigar a month, which is sold in still a nice tube and don't buy any cigar boxes anymore...
So less bad for my health as well.

Thanks,

Frank.

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2021 at 1:40 AM, wyz said:

Total lockdown?  No stores open?  What a bummer!  I'd go crazy if I didn't have access to my local hardware/lumber stores.  Hopefully the world can start vaccinating people en masse soon, so we can get back to living a normal life again.  I hate this jail at home.

Tom

Yes Tom, everything here in Holland is closed till at least the 8th of February.
Luckily this week I received chuck's big beautiful box with yellow cedar for all three chapters in one, I'm happy as can be!
I have to find me a building board now, maybe even online when all the hardware stores keep closed.
I really hope you can keep modeling and that your back cures soon, as I'm following and reading  your Winnie build log meticulously as well to learn from your mastership. I find it a real pitty you will / cannot not continue on your solid hull Winnie project.

Frank.

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None

39 minutes ago, FrankWouts said:

Yeah, it smells awesome Matt, Thanks!

It's worth buying the  Cedar just for the smell😉 I'm looking forward to seeing another Winnie come to life

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Edward and Vladimir!

I finally am able to get started now.

My first two bottles of Titebond came in last week and despite the lockdown here in Holland I also finally managed to lay my hand on a thick multiplex plank of 30x90cm (11.81”x35,43”).

So here also my first picture of the stem and knee and extension following Chuck’s instructions on the first pages of chapter one. No tweaking the joints in between removing any char it says, but it seems the laser does not always cut exactly square in a 90 degrees angle as I would like it to, as on one side some joints are very tight while the same one on the other side seem just a very little bit more open. But so far I’m very pleased how the first step turned out.

Next step will be tapering the head knee and glueing the gammon knee and extension piece on (not glued yet on the last knee picture, only test fitting: I have to remove some more laser char first now I can still easily reach it).

A1C9B9A9-DF43-4636-AE41-206444C9C99C.jpeg

72D3F0AE-0F10-418B-B734-A8EB5E7FC0C2.jpeg

AD4403BB-0055-4156-B461-2813E7DEB7CA.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Current builds on MSW:

Prior builds on MSW:

None