HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Frank Wouts 1/48

That looks very good.  Like Mike mentioned,  be sure to check the run with the ship right side up.  Thats the most important part.

While you have it taped and lined so nicely, one thing that helped me was a red hash mark on the bulkheads signifying the butt shift pattern. Easy to lose track of them while planking. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Looking good....I would love to see pictures at this stage with the hull right side up.

Chuck

Well laid out Frank!  Happy New Year to you too!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

21 hours ago, Chuck said:

Looking good....I would love to see pictures at this stage with the hull right side up.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck, Here some pictures of my beginner’s planking layout…It takes a very long time this way, but I just want to get it right…hopefully no anomalies anymore…I’m eager to start planking now after all this fiddling with fine tape and pencil…though I still have to find some plank joints and mark with a red cross… and tweak some tapes to an average in lining and spacing now that I look to these pictures.

D3DBA2F3-2CB7-4ACC-8A99-A90B45631CB8.jpeg

A4DB8AF9-E882-4F04-ABF6-C55C79B69672.jpeg

ABC3E415-3AC5-4FC5-A929-17BE174478E9.jpeg

D78B6B98-0DCF-404D-A20E-6D18BA1475F4.jpeg

0435033D-F0B5-450E-8968-E782E83EE531.jpeg

49EAE7B1-024C-4E18-BE57-CB9D003A7F01.jpeg

C345AFCD-7452-4A43-B548-3BDB04709C1D.jpeg

4E2F66DD-EBA2-44DB-BD34-12A5372008A0.jpeg

F99494A3-656B-462B-909F-C31954B9AB29.jpeg

Edited by FrankWouts

Current builds on MSW:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48

Prior builds on MSW:

None

That looks pretty darn awesome to my eye.   Well done.  You will never build another model without lining off the hull ever again.   That time spent will pay off in huge dividends.

Hi Frank, your planking prep looks really good.
Still, I'll add Chuck's advice:

Just watch the planking over the first three bulkheads as you work your way lower.  I see many people start to develop a dip there that will look like a dent in the hull in the lower two belys.  Try and correct this if you see this developing.  And absolutely turn the hull right side up to check this.....its the only way to really tell for sure.

(52 post on of my thread)
I still had to do some fine sanding at some bulkheads when planking.
So fingers crossed and I wish you all the best in this new year.

Dusan

Currently building:

HMS Winchelsea 1764 by westwood - 1:48

Revenge 1577 - by westwood - 1:64

In preparation:

Fourth-rate ship 1681 - 1:48

• 1 month later...

Very nicely done.   That is some fine looking planking.  Remember to flip the hull over every few strakes to check the run.  You will be able to tell more easily if your planking has started to form dips and you must adjust the run.   Especially at the bow and stern.

That’s some really nice planking Frank, very impressive. Your turn at the counter is exceptional. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Frank, that looks so good! Well done! A fine example to follow.

Jim 

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea, Model Shipways Mayflower 

Completed Builds: NRG Half Hull Project  

Model Shipways 18th Century Armed Longboat

Dumas 1954 Chris Craft 36' Commander

Dumas 1940 Chris Craft 19' Barrel Back

Thanks Chuck, Glenn, James and Paul!

Yes, I flip the hull over now and then to check for strange looking curves and dips.

I’m beginning to feel key is that all curves bend fluently and following the lines set with the tape run not much can go wrong…but checking is better 😉💪🏻

Current builds on MSW:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48

Prior builds on MSW:

None