Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Thanks for the link to the Pandora book. I was looking at videos of how modern boatsmen set up this rig in France and Italy, and it certainly looked a lengthy process. So I totally agree that the rig you have done is not only sufficient, but also very practical. I was really just showing it because of my interest in the rig.

 

Tony

Link to post
Share on other sites

Post Eighteen

 

 

Rigging continuation

 

The rigging continues with the placing of eyebolts and cleats to take the sheets, and the eyebolts to secure the Fore and Main stays.

 

Drilling through the forward ‘brass’ grating to take the Main stay eyebolt was the most difficult part.

 

The tacks are simply secured to the mast below the snotter.

 

The sails have brails added which allow the quick furling of the sail against the mast.

 

IMGP0043.thumb.JPG.5d80cde18e5a6c275b02df6b116fde48.JPG

0043

Running each side of the sail through a grommet in the leech of the sail, thro’ small blocks at the masthead to belay at pins set in the mast benches.

 

IMGP0041.thumb.JPG.97288cdecace774c318a4b330b78e583.JPG

0041

For the belay pins I used brass etched versions unused from my Cutter Alert build.

 

2011062910_IMGP0039(2).thumb.JPG.1144bd1768dc5a23f2657b6fcd2e197d.JPG

0039(2)

1989355522_IMGP0038(2).thumb.JPG.a66c0b276a55677f58dbebc70053442b.JPG

0038(2)

I will continue to tinker with the brails to persuade them to hang with a natural sag.

 

 

The less than appealing task of making up eight sets of mini tackles now looms.

 

 

B.E.

15/02/21

Edited by Blue Ensign
Link to post
Share on other sites

Post Nineteen

 

 

Stay tackles

 

For the stays I am using Syren 0.20mm line and for the Lanyards Morope 0.1mm line. For the blocks Syren 2mm with Syren (now withdrawn) 3mm black plastic hooks.

 

 

The stays are simply looped around the Masthead and fitted in pairs.

 

DSC00511.thumb.JPG.4d539f4c993ff40ec14527d0d9b693a1.JPG

0511

The trickiest part is attaching the hooks of the lower blocks to the hull straps.

81407413_DSC00562(2).thumb.JPG.8948e08a6c37a3726f90640ccead380f.JPG

0562(2)

Fore stays in place, it took quite a few hours to strop and set up, rather like rigging the side tackles on 6 pounder guns, but without a convenient jig.

1946932327_DSC00565(2).thumb.JPG.7fb7103650fecfe0b6d21a9cfc9dbfc6.JPG

0565(2)

1646994997_DSC00553(2).thumb.JPG.d7b2c1ea59e719e2a995300e4a690086.JPG

0553(2)

1974019966_DSC00561(2).thumb.JPG.b3896f2c195e90f51f2c4e71f9244975.JPG

0561(2)

885865569_DSC00534(2).thumb.JPG.60fee9121856c7f7198d01ef538dbf3e.JPG

0534(2)

With the stays completed there only remains for the equipment to be added.

 

 

B.E.

18/02/21

 

 

Edited by Blue Ensign
Link to post
Share on other sites

Post Twenty

 

 

Completing the build.

 

 

I have used the laser cut Pearwood oars and modified the boathook to fit in a wooden handle. The grapnel was silver soldered and chemically blackened.

 

The final addition are the thole pins; I used the provided etched kit versions, I simply couldn’t contemplate trying to make wooden versions of that tiny size.

 

889109819_DSC00620(2).thumb.JPG.4af2f910ec0e2de5083ef76ebbd65515.JPG

0620(2)

DSC00627.thumb.JPG.5189185260ab87e9d3f7292ea529b4f1.JPG

0627

DSC00628.thumb.JPG.778868b4e1abe31b30ebaefeb6c78b23.JPG

0628

DSC00631.thumb.JPG.b73c190db80a10c0ce5223301b6d1325.JPG

0631

10336424_DSC00636(2).thumb.JPG.d1c2b48b0fbefffc9a33238560fc65aa.JPG

0636(2)

1227587711_DSC00640(2).thumb.JPG.8d66f007039dc853341c81b4dfee72f8.JPG

0640(2)

Together with the original 18’ cutter which I made in Boxwood.

On balance I think I prefer the Boxwood finish for small boats.

 

 

 

The Yawl now joins the Cutter Alert in her case along with the 18’ cutter.

 

1896716181_DSC00642(2).thumb.JPG.46518a60c5b8eea6779b5a5346951d64.JPG

0642(2)

DSC00649.thumb.JPG.320a8b2aeb20031b99f2d05247cd2e88.JPG

0649

DSC00653.thumb.JPG.3d95e93e6c9e9320aab123414ec2d704.JPG

0653

DSC00654.thumb.JPG.9a54ac8c321b03c006e3489114122c5d.JPG

0654

1328467379_DSC00656(2).thumb.JPG.89a045a9568483f8f50f20d44715fa69.JPG

0656(2)

After five weeks of effort this little project comes to an end.

 

 

I can’t say with certainty that the way I have rigged it is fully accurate, but I think it looks ok at the scale involved and gives an idea how these boats were sailed rather than rowed.

 

 

 

B.E.

19/02/21

 

Edited by Blue Ensign
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...