Supermarine Spitfire by Tim Moore - FINISHED - Guillow’s 403 - 1/16 kit, built as display model

My son gave me this throwback kit for my birthday, one I had built and flown many, many years ago. So before I get cracking on finishing the last bits of rigging on HMS Bounty I thought I’d do this as a holiday project. Decided to employ my wooden ship skills such as they are by modifying the kit so it will make a reasonable display model to hang in the new workshop. 
Its a simple kit so I’ll just summarize the process so far. The laser cutting is exceptional and putting together the basic frames is straightforward. You’d normally now just cover this with tissue. Instead I inserted 150 pieces of balsa into the framework and then applied a thin watered down layer of latex wood filler and lightly sanded to give a final form, sort of like a clay model. For the wing, I covered the frame with 1/16 balsa underneath and 1/32 basswood topsides. I’ve nested wheel assemblies into the wing so it will look right flying off the ceiling. I ditched the tail assemblies in the kit and formed a more functional rudder and stabilizer from 1/4” balsa. So now I have the basic form of the Spit, and will work on incorporating more detail before painting. 

549D6FA4-281A-41C6-A944-96834C6AC27F.jpeg

2280C487-916B-466B-A5AC-8FB25C277EBF.jpeg

09B9A9DD-07C7-4088-B99D-5FF8355821E7.jpeg

5EC01D30-D54A-4D09-8581-7D418D483478.jpeg

38301F62-72C2-4A88-950F-28292F2074F1.jpeg

FFC0FE69-4D54-4FAC-9048-048E287988E9.jpeg

7A542BC7-4522-4BD6-8D6B-21CEA7B6DBB1.jpeg

F4D39244-12BE-4788-B868-A320BA69DBF4.jpeg

FF764B48-7F94-4902-B460-BF2B064DA0DE.jpeg

BD4D3523-C022-4F33-86CF-605492AD9D98.jpeg

Edited by Tim Moore
Finished!

Tim Moore

Perfect is the enemy of good

In progress

IJN Pre-Dreadnought Battleship Mikasa, 1:200, Hobby Boss

On Deck
DH.9a Ninak, 1/32, Wingnut Wings
The Blue Sky Company, 1:48, Sierra West Models

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.

What a Superb project.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Very nice. That filling of the gaps is a great idea and well worth the effort.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I like it!  Very nice idea about planking the model!

Your plane looks really good.

I will have to remember that idea for the next plane I build.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Thanks guys for all the great comments and likes. Finished all the wing underside details. Fashioned some wing fairings from thin balsa and will eventually perfect it with a little sanding and touch of filler. The engine exhaust is a combination of plastic from kit and some aluminium tubing. Was hoping to find a nice aftermarket prop to put on it but with everything locked down here that doesn’t seem possible so I laminated a few pieces of wood and just did a hand carved job instead. This is quite a fun build and it’s a decent sized bird.

539EC8E8-CCA7-413F-8F5E-AEDFF85611C2.jpeg

65C10135-FE37-4E4C-ABEE-705C4844D83C.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.

Nicely done, Tim. One of the prettiest aircraft ever built.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Very nice work, she looks beautiful in wood.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Ahhhhhhh....I remember my old Comet days.....fun times ;)   that's a series 400 kit........did you decide to wood laminate it,  or does the kit have the tissue?

I built the series 500 kit of the MK 1......I haven't flown it as of yet.  my best flyer was a Fokker D VIII :)   I'm currently building  Fokker Dr 1....still in the closet........I really need to get back to it.

superb job with what you've done so far........even with what you've done,  I'd be willing to bet that its still light weight enough to fly.  nice job on the prop too!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

22 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

I'd be willing to bet that its still light weight enough to fly.

Probably I would presume, would need more power than a rubber band as well.... 

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

I grew up building balsa tissue model airplanes.  10 years before I was born my father and mother started the “Viking Aircraft Company” to produce and sell model aircraft kits to supplement my father’s income during the depression.  This short lived Company was closed down by their landlord who objected to balsa dust and acetone fumes.  My mother saved advertising and price lists but unfortunately no kits.

Building these stick and tissue models many years later my father taught me to first fly them as a glider to get them balanced correctly; they were always tail heavy.  If they would glide, the rubber band power would be sufficient for them to fly.  If the model was to fly, we often used clear dope to finish it as it was lighter in weight than pigmented colors.

Roger

On 1/7/2021 at 11:46 AM, popeye the sailor said:

Ahhhhhhh....I remember my old Comet days.....fun times ;)   that's a series 400 kit........did you decide to wood laminate it,  or does the kit have the tissue?

I built the series 500 kit of the MK 1......I haven't flown it as of yet.  my best flyer was a Fokker D VIII :)   I'm currently building  Fokker Dr 1....still in the closet........I really need to get back to it.

superb job with what you've done so far........even with what you've done,  I'd be willing to bet that its still light weight enough to fly.  nice job on the prop too!

The kit has tissue for covering the frames, which you would then cover with dope. I decided to try covering with a wood skin instead, to make a better display model. I flew the one I made according to kit directions many years ago with the rubber apparatus. This one will just be for display but it is still very light - the plywood skin on the wings is only 1/32” basswood. You’d need an engine to get it up I imagine. 

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

On 1/7/2021 at 12:36 PM, Roger Pellett said:

I grew up building balsa tissue model airplanes.  10 years before I was born my father and mother started the “Viking Aircraft Company” to produce and sell model aircraft kits to supplement my father’s income during the depression.  This short lived Company was closed down by their landlord who objected to balsa dust and acetone fumes.  My mother saved advertising and price lists but unfortunately no kits.

Building these stick and tissue models many years later my father taught me to first fly them as a glider to get them balanced correctly; they were always tail heavy.  If they would glide, the rubber band power would be sufficient for them to fly.  If the model was to fly, we often used clear dope to finish it as it was lighter in weight than pigmented colors.

Roger

Interesting! So this model building is definitely in your blood. Before ships I started out with all sorts of planes as well. Did one or two of the rubber powered  Guillows, and then a massive u control flying wing with a 0.35 gas engine which I struggled to get off the ground. Then I got cocky and scratch built a smaller plane of my own design, which strangely flew better than any of the kits. After that I decided to quit while I was ahead, called it a day on planes and started shipbuilding.

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

All primed, sanded smooth and ready for painting and final detailing - waiting on a paint and airbrush delivery which may take a bit of time since the brush is on backorder until February. Going back to the shipyard in the meantime to finish off rigging the last yards on the Bounty. 

6E5066A2-CAC8-412A-8DBF-CD59102FA0AB.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Wow Tim, that looks fantastic!  Would never know it's wood.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I agree with Mike   - Superb Finish.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Thanks guys! Yes I’m pretty pleased how it turned out given it’s a bit of a dodgy balsa frame under there. The technique of painting on a slightly thin paste of plastic wood on top of thin balsa or plywood really works. I used a white primer to show up any defects but it’s pretty clean overall. I’d like to figure out a way to define panel lines on the fuselage - not sure yet what would be the best approach on wood. If anyone has ideas let me know. I have some 2” metal tape I thought about using to create panel effect but may be tricky to lay flat on such a rounded body.

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Tim, you may have to incise the panel outlines in that beautiful skinning job.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

14 hours ago, Tim Moore said:

If anyone has ideas let me know.

You may have to just use a flexible ruler and a light stroke with a knife tip. Not an easy proposition in balsa. Nice thing is that you can fill any mistakes back in with Plastic Wood and try again if needed.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I reckon Lou has got it, although I would use an awl or pin so there wouldn't be any chance of slicing to deep.

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

4 hours ago, lmagna said:

You may have to just use a flexible ruler and a light stroke with a knife tip. Not an easy proposition in balsa. Nice thing is that you can fill any mistakes back in with Plastic Wood and try again if needed.

I would suggest an old #2 Exacto blade with the tip broke off, use the back side of the blade like a scraper......

It's stiffer that way and doesn't cut, just scores a line.... light pressure which you adjust to the grade of Balsa.... And as lou says, mistakes are easily fixed....

Another suggestion is put a light coat of poly over the wood, makes the surface a bit stronger.....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Hey thanks for all the suggestions from everybody...yes I’ll mark all the panel lines on and make a tool as suggested for scribing. Surface should hold firm the with the thick primer I put on but I’ve made a test piece to experiment with first, see what works best. 

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

I would have suggested an awl, scribe or the back edge of an Exacto blade, but I was thinking that the balsa is a soft and fibrous wood and when scribing across the grain would tend to pull the fiber up and leave fuzzy edges along the scribe. If your thick primer prevents this then so much the better. Looking forward to the results on your test piece.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

3 hours ago, lmagna said:

but I was thinking that the balsa is a soft and fibrous wood

Hmm I never thought of that! Doh!!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

• 2 weeks later...

What a fantastic build, always thought the silverskin and dope covering of Guillows suited the WWI planes best as well that’s closer to the originals. Your idea of in filling with balsa and using wood sheets works perfectly for WWII planes. I think you’ll start a trend. 

Edited by Slowhand
More info

Slowhand,

Current build - Polacca scratch build from Amati plan

previous builds

San Martin - Occre

H.MS Resolution - Corel

Half Moon - Corel

Dragon keel boat - Billings

1 hour ago, Slowhand said:

What a fantastic build, always thought the silverskin and dope covering of Guillows suited the WWI planes best as well that’s closer to the originals. Your idea of in filling with balsa and using wood sheets works perfectly for WWII planes. I think you’ll start a trend. 

Thanks Slowhand! I’m just waiting on delivery of an airbrush so I can press on with finishing. And thanks everyone for suggestions re panel marking. I tried everything suggested and so far a fine ss awl I have seems to work best. 

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Do you have a picture of the awl Tim? I know what an awl looks like I was just curious on how fine or small it is.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

It’s pretty small. I’m going to try one or two other things on some more test pieces, but so far this is working best as far as making a smooth edged mark.

9626928D-12ED-4DE5-89E9-57C77309A71E.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Almost looks like the pointed tip from an drafting compass. Thanks

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey