Trumpeter Scharnhorst Battlecruiser 1/200 is coming soon.

yvesvidal

Folks,

For the Bismarck and other German ships lovers, Trumpeter just announced the following in 1/200 scale: 

shcahrnost.jpg.af547fac1f427ba827c20ef43a580995.jpg

The 1/200 scale Scharnhorst battleship by Trumpeter is a newly-tooled plastic model kit. The kit features a one-piece hull, a finely-rendered deck pattern, six pieces of photo-etch (ladders, handrails, radar parts, etc.), and two Ar196 waterplanes. The kit features over 1600 parts on 25 sprues and measures over 46 inches when completed.

Paint and glue are required to complete this model kit and are sold separately.

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

Yves, 

I am looking forward to read a review of this kit.

Thanks for sharing.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Nichimo I believe. It seems that FuJimi also makes 1/200 sub assemblies.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

23 hours ago, thibaultron said:

The Yamato was done in 1/200 years ago by someone.

Yes Nichimo made the kit back in 1968 and unopened ones go for about $700 - $800 on eBay. I’d like an updated version of it. I know there’s also a paper craft version of the KGV but I’d prefer a plastic kit version. 

Edited by JohnEnglish

• 3 months later...

I couldn't help myself, I ordered the kit! Although I know I will never have the time to build it, but Scharnhorst is one of my favourite battlecruisers, looks-wise.

Told my wife it was only £55, and quite small a scale....

Years ago, I did buy and build for RC the Nichimo 200th scale Yamato, that was quite a monster!

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

400 dollars and 48 inches long!

1600 parts....

That will  be a showcase kit!

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

The only problem about what we tell our wives the cost of a model is verses what the actual cost was, is that if we die first she will probably sell the kit, which has hopefully become rare and even more valuable, for what we said we paid!:( It really bothers me to think someone will get that kind of deal when I had to spend so much to get it in the first place!:blush:

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

48 minutes ago, lmagna said:

It really bothers me to think someone will get that kind of deal when I had to spend so much to get it in the first place!

"Well, I sympathize completely."

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

7 hours ago, chris watton said:

I couldn't help myself, I ordered the kit! Although I know I will never have the time to build it, but Scharnhorst is one of my favourite battlecruisers, looks-wise.

Years ago, I did buy and build for RC the Nichimo 200th scale Yamato, that was quite a monster!

Chris,

How about a Chris Watton's review of the kit (without starting it, of course)? I'd like to have more info on that monster.

Do you still have the Nichimo Leviathan? If so, how about a picture or two?

Yves

21 minutes ago, yvesvidal said:

Chris,

How about a Chris Watton's review of the kit (without starting it, of course)? I'd like to have more info on that monster.

Do you still have the Nichimo Leviathan? If so, how about a picture or two?

Yves

Maybe!

Unfortunately, Yamato was sold in the early '90's, don't even remember who to.

logo.jpg

3 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Great album!

Respectfully

On 5/5/2021 at 11:14 AM, chris watton said:

Reminds me of a friend who bought a new huge Marshall amp without telling his wife. The giveaway was when he couldn’t carry it up the stairs on his own....

22 hours ago, ccoyle said:

A little depressing I suppose but nice music.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Chris, with that type of single piece hull you can convert her to an R/C ship. There's plenty of space inside for all the equipment. 

Respectfully

12 minutes ago, Nirvana said:

Chris, with that type of single piece hull you can convert her to an R/C ship. There's plenty of space inside for all the equipment. 

The hull is disappointing, to be honest. No plate markings or waterline, first I have come across this. All kits of this sort I have bought in the past have had at the very least the waterline mark (including the Nichimo Yamato, which also had moulded positions for motors)

But, as I said, I will most likely never build it, I just wanted it!

logo.jpg

Darn You Chris!  Now I am ordering one too!  I don't need it, I don't when it will get built, but I wanted it!

I hate you! LOL😁

Darryl Jacobs

Interaction Hobbies

"I called to the other men that the sky was clearing, and then a moment later I realized that what I had seen was not a rift in the clouds but the white crest of an enormous wave."

Ernest Shackleton

www.interactionhobbies.com

www.facebook.com/railandtie

Thank you for posting a few pictures Chris. Very nice molding, but I agree with you, a little bit disappointing  with the absence of markings on the hull.

Now, purchasing the kit is one thing, but insanity starts when you try to get all the brass add-ons and wooden decks.

I have to say, it is very tempting as I love the lines of these cruisers.

Yves

Chris, first of all I wish your wife a speedy recovery (I was thinking to rename my Speedy to - what's her name again? 😉)

Anyway, this might be slightly off topic and I already apologize to moderators.

Coming back to Scharnhorst

It may not be commonly known but in the same period there were actually two ships named Scharnhorst: the battlecruiser (we are looking at here), launched in 1936,
and the „combiship“ (Kombischiff in German) launched in December 1934, a combination of  passenger and cargo ship.
This one and two sisters were owned by then Norddeutscher Lloyd and they were designed for a fast Germany / Far East Service. Scharnhorst was particularly innovative in those days because she was one of the first bigger ships with a turbo-electric propulsion feeding  two propellers.
Besides, she was a beauty in her own right (see picture below)
Dimensions: length: ca. 199 m, width: 22,5 m, deadweight: 10.500 tdw, speed 23,3 kts.

In 1938, after several other ships, my father sailed as Electrical Engineer Assistant for some months in the (combi) Scharnhorst, and Scharnhorst became his favourite ship because of the then modern power plant, and moreover, because this was his last seagoing voyage before he started studying to become an electrical engineer.

In 1974 dad’s 60th birthday was coming up and one day I was asked by one of his colleagues: „Which Scharnhorst did your father sail in, anyway?“ I replied: „It was the combiship, not the warship.“ The colleague replied: „Oh, then we have got the wrong photograph“.
The great day came and my dad was given a framed picture of the warship Scharnhorst. Since he would never had admitted that this was the wrong ship he thanked everybody for this nice and memorable present and how glad he was to have received it. After the applause etc. finished he was given another present, this time it was a framed picture of his Scharnhorst. And that left him simply touched and speechless. He was really glad and proud to have this very picture and he admired it literally daily until he died a year later.

I still have this picture which is now waiting for an appropriate and decent place in our new appartment at the Baltic coast. I also still keep a special edition of a shipping magazine from 1935 which describes the construction and build of „Schnelldampfer Scharnhorst“ (Schnelldampfer = Fast Steamer). Many years ago I donated the picture of the battlecruiser to the Maritime Museum Bremerhaven.
If there were a model kit of „our“ Scharnhorst I would definetly go for it...

Take care and stay healthy!
UweWerftprobefahrt_Scharnhorst.thumb.jpg.f3483cc993aaa325029c7b9a32e3d623.jpg

30 minutes ago, Oboship said:

Chris, first of all I wish your wife a speedy recovery (I was thinking to rename my Speedy to - what's her name again? 😉)

Anyway, this might be slightly off topic and I already apologize to moderators.

Coming back to Scharnhorst

It may not be commonly known but in the same period there were actually two ships named Scharnhorst: the battlecruiser (we are looking at here), launched in 1936,
and the „combiship“ (Kombischiff in German) launched in December 1934, a combination of  passenger and cargo ship.
This one and two sisters were owned by then Norddeutscher Lloyd and they were designed for a fast Germany / Far East Service. Scharnhorst was particularly innovative in those days because she was one of the first bigger ships with a turbo-electric propulsion feeding  two propellers.
Besides, she was a beauty in her own right (see picture below)
Dimensions: length: ca. 199 m, width: 22,5 m, deadweight: 10.500 tdw, speed 23,3 kts.

In 1938, after several other ships, my father sailed as Electrical Engineer Assistant for some months in the (combi) Scharnhorst, and Scharnhorst became his favourite ship because of the then modern power plant, and moreover, because this was his last seagoing voyage before he started studying to become an electrical engineer.

In 1974 dad’s 60th birthday was coming up and one day I was asked by one of his colleagues: „Which Scharnhorst did your father sail in, anyway?“ I replied: „It was the combiship, not the warship.“ The colleague replied: „Oh, then we have got the wrong photograph“.
The great day came and my dad was given a framed picture of the warship Scharnhorst. Since he would never had admitted that this was the wrong ship he thanked everybody for this nice and memorable present and how glad he was to have received it. After the applause etc. finished he was given another present, this time it was a framed picture of his Scharnhorst. And that left him simply touched and speechless. He was really glad and proud to have this very picture and he admired it literally daily until he died a year later.

I still have this picture which is now waiting for an appropriate and decent place in our new appartment at the Baltic coast. I also still keep a special edition of a shipping magazine from 1935 which describes the construction and build of „Schnelldampfer Scharnhorst“ (Schnelldampfer = Fast Steamer). Many years ago I donated the picture of the battlecruiser to the Maritime Museum Bremerhaven.
If there were a model kit of „our“ Scharnhorst I would definetly go for it...

Take care and stay healthy!
UweWerftprobefahrt_Scharnhorst.thumb.jpg.f3483cc993aaa325029c7b9a32e3d623.jpg

I found this picture in the Internet, it is not the one I was referring to in my post.

Uwe

• 1 month later...